iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gas log splitter

Started by DanManofStihl, July 28, 2004, 05:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanManofStihl

I was wondering what brand of gas log splitter I should but I am looking for a 5 to 8 hp log splitter I was wonder which was better a north star a yard man or something else I am sorta looking for one used. Thanks
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Timberwerks

Timberwolf Splitters are worth a look

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/product_line.htm#tw5

I have a TW5 on the way. They are more pricey but they are a solid machine. My Dad had a Northstar and it worked well. The only complaint he had was it did not tow well.

Dale

Stan

My North Star tows just fine, since I put tubes in the tires.  8)

Has a little problem with sweet gum after it gets above 6" diameter. It throws oil out of ever joint in the hydraulic system.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

DanManofStihl

how many hp is your north star and is it a vert horizontal one or is it just horizontal. THanks

lamar

stan,I agree on the sweet gum,it dosnt split it tears.Im glad I got the 30ton harbor freight with 8hp ohv engine.This thing works great.I only run it 3/4 speed unless I have a helper.I had a few problems with wedge assy. but they are real good to work with but you need to be patient on getting parts.

sawguy21

Have a look at Swisher. Simple no frills design, quality materials and well thought out. Best one we could find at the price
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Timberwerks

I agree about the Swisher splitters. My Husky dealer has one on display, it really is a nice unit and looks to be very well built.

http://www.swisherinc.com/log_splitters.html

Dale

DanManofStihl

i just went ahead and built one my self 8 hp b and s engine 20 ton ram splits about anything runs great just rebuilt the carb on the old motor.

Thank You Sponsors!