iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill shed

Started by mhasel, October 07, 2014, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Need some advice on shed layout for a woodmizer, photos a plus:)

Would like to do a semi enclosed with wide doors on either end for loading and two side doors for trailer or skidding logs into if necessary, maybe 32x52

Thanks in advance would really like to know what has worked well and what you would change if you had the chance

Mike

highleadtimber16

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but gives you an idea!  :)

2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

beenthere

highlead
That's a sharp looking shed there.

mhasel
Add your location to your bio in your profile, and it may help a lot with recommendations. 

;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

That size would be fine as long as you do not plan to dry or store lumber in it.  If you are, I would consider making it larger. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

New Brunswick

I read here that the size of your shed should be measured in acres not feet haha..I have been building a shed this year 28x54. It is not finished yet, but now sawing inside of it, and really enjoying the roof. I made a exhaust chimney through the roof that I hooked a rubber exhaust hose too, and it works really well for getting rid of the fumes, as I did try milling inside without the siding on and realized the fumes were going to be an issue...something to think about.

Farmer Jim

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on October 07, 2014, 10:13:29 PM

Very nice shed.  What is the length of opening on the left side of the photo?
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

jrose1970

That is a good question about the best sawmill shed. I'm all ears.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

drobertson

This is not the best shed by far, but works for me,  I would change a few things, skylights,  and bigger doors, two on the ends work fine for the drive through, the west door could be bigger than 12' the log deck works at 20'

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

wwsjr

Mine is a simple built 12 X 40 shed. Weather is not a real factor for me in the south. The opening for logs is 30', used an old steel bar joint joist for support. Office/tool/blade/electrical panel shed, 12'X12' is on the end.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Knute

drobertson,
Is that  a D-14 I see? Those old AC are great tractors.

drobertson

D12 series 3  28hp at the wheels and 25 at the pto  a fine lil tractor. needs brakes though,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mhasel

Awesome folks, please keep the photos and ideas coming, I've gotten quite a few already like the rack for the flicks, always just set the loader there and loaded onto the forks but this makes more sense

wwsjr, what type of blower are you using for sawdust there, very nice clean setup, plenty of access all around and very neat, I'd have to put some door on it to try and keep the weather out here in MD thought. Even the little details like log chocks are a + little things that make sawmill life easier.

wwsjr

mhasel,
The blower is a cheap Harbor Freight 2hp, not good enough for most sawing. I have a 3-phase, 3hp I plan to get installed soon. After my mill and shed burned last year, I tried to go cheap on blower, won't handle wet SYP dust. Will move to my planer in shop later.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

highleadtimber16

Quote from: Farmer Jim on October 10, 2014, 04:47:41 AM
Quote from: highleadtimber16 on October 07, 2014, 10:13:29 PM

Very nice shed.  What is the length of opening on the left side of the photo?

If you're referring to the side of which the logs are loaded, I think it's 22 feet.
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Banjo picker

wwsjr done good with that 30' opening.  Mine is only 21' and that ain't enough.  I can cut 24' and can worm them in but it is not easy...If I was doing mine over again I would want a nice large opening on the loading side of the shed and another on the unloading side.... its worse getting 21' plus out than it is getting the log in.... I'll remedy that by adding enough roller tables to one day just roll the long lumber out the end of the shed.  Nice looking bld. there wwsjr.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Farmer Jim

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on October 11, 2014, 11:37:29 AM

If you're referring to the side of which the logs are loaded, I think it's 22 feet.

Yes, the log side, thank you. What are the dimensions on the beam that spans that side?  I need a shed also.  Only being able to cut on good weather days cuts into other things that need to be done on those days.  I can cut 21' and change so that opening would work for me. Thanks again.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

highleadtimber16

Quote from: Farmer Jim on October 12, 2014, 03:41:40 AM
Quote from: highleadtimber16 on October 11, 2014, 11:37:29 AM

Yes, the log side, thank you. What are the dimensions on the beam that spans that side?  I need a shed also.  Only being able to cut on good weather days cuts into other things that need to be done on those days.  I can cut 21' and change so that opening would work for me. Thanks again.

6x12 beams on 8x8 posts all fir. The knees are 4x10.
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

highleadtimber16

Here's a side view, though it's a little blurry.

EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Farmer Jim

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on October 12, 2014, 06:05:33 PM

6x12 beams on 8x8 posts all fir. The knees are 4x10.

Thank you. That is a big help.  Now I just need a shorter "To Do" list.

Peter Drouin

Mine with a 45' door 24'x85' and on the right of the pic will be a 18'x80' for lumber.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Just wanted to let you know that there are two boards on the left side that are trying to get away  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jrose1970

Thanks for the ideas. My favorite tip in all of this is the use of a beam to span 30'. I would like to span 24' and could not figure out how to do it. I must say that I'm a little jealous of the sheds. (Just kidding)
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Banjo picker

No need to worry about being jealous.  I got a pretty good shed and I am still jealous, esp of those big openings.... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on October 13, 2014, 07:31:10 AM
Just wanted to let you know that there are two boards on the left side that are trying to get away  :D.

They wont go far. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on October 10, 2014, 08:59:47 PM
D12 series 3  28hp at the wheels and 25 at the pto  a fine lil tractor. needs brakes though,
I grew up on AC tractors. I have never heard of a D12. Must be a collectors item. Plus the same paint scheme as your mill.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mhasel

How much headroom inside for the mill are you allowing? I like the idea of the raised tie chord, I used a similar design on a wood stove shed covering my outdoor Central Boiler

brianb88

Those are some mighty fine looking sheds you fellas have. 
Measure twice, cut once

drobertson

Quote from: beenthere on October 13, 2014, 09:49:59 PM
ozark
Early 60's tractors
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/1/15-allis-chalmers-d12.html
Wow! thanks beenthere!  I have never seen this,  I was going on what I was told,, it does have good power for a little tractor,  picked it up for a mere 1800 bucks in the late 80's  less than 2000 hrs.  still hard to believe the brakes are shot, but they are,  if all goes well, I will get this done before the freeze hits.  As far as the shed goes,
a 12' ceiling is a good height, if lifts are to be in and out.  A drive through is a pretty good idea, just make plans for a close slab rack, the work triangle is critical for time in the log.   

woodweasel

Heres what I'm working on to saw under. Its a 40'x52' covered building, 30'x50' is inclosed. Will set up the mill under the 12'x50' SHED.Building will be insulated & have an office/man cave/ living qtrs. on the opposite side of building I poured an 8'x12' joining slab, which will be a restroom with bathtub, urinal, sink,& storage space. 8) 8) Well my PICS would not upload since its jpg.Moderators this is a common format, whats up, am I doing something wrong?? ??? ??? ???

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: woodweasel on October 16, 2014, 09:12:45 PM
Heres what I'm working on to saw under. Its a 40'x52' covered building, 30'x50' is inclosed. Will set up the mill under the 12'x50' SHED.Building will be insulated & have an office/man cave/ living qtrs. on the opposite side of building I poured an 8'x12' joining slab, which will be a restroom with bathtub, urinal, sink,& storage space. 8) 8) Well my PICS would not upload since its jpg.Moderators this is a common format, whats up, am I doing something wrong?? ??? ??? ???

You have to first upload the photos to your photo gallery, then link to it in the post.

This is done to ensure that your photo will remain available years from now so we don't wind up with red Xs where the photo has gone missing.

Here's a link to a guide on how to do it: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

GDinMaine

Quote from: woodweasel on October 16, 2014, 09:12:45 PM
  Well my PICS would not upload since its jpg.Moderators this is a common format, whats up, am I doing something wrong?? ??? ??? ???

You can upload .Jpg files no problem.  The upload process is a bit different on this forum, but nothing you can't handle.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

woodweasel

ok , Lets see if I can get the pics up. I've posted pics before, dont know what the problem was 

The last pic is where the mill will be setup under ;D ;D

Joe Hillmann

If you are putting in a large opening for the logs make sure the beam above it is large enough to handle the snow  load.  This last winter was much worse than usual and just in Barron county thousands of building collapsed from the snow load.  Mostly pole sheds.  But some homes and lots of barns as well.

WDH

Weasel,

Looks awesome!  I am jealous. 

woodland84

What size beam would be enough to support a 16' span for the side open to load logs?

Don P

Impossible to say, need more info. I'm assuming rafters are supported by the beam?, how far is it to the other support end of the rafters (rafter span)? Overhang, how much? Snow load in lbs per square foot? Wood species and grade?

woodland84

Rafters would be 14' long with 1' overhang. So 12' wide. Full 8x8 vertical posts. Strapped and steel on roof. We have some snow load up here by times. Also 45 degree angle supports on either side of span as well.

Don P

Find your snow load in pounds per square foot, it is probably published online or available from the local building dept or truss shop. "some snow load" is something between 10 and 300 lbs/sq ft x 112 sq foot area bearing on the beam.

woodland84

From what I can find the snow load in my area would be around 20 lbs per square foot.

EOTE

My sawmill house is a bit smaller than what you are looking for and it was initially built fully open with no walls.  Side openings are 22' so I can bring in 20' logs and take out 20' lumber.  Ends are 20' wide.  Overall size is 20' x 40' and 12' high.

My drying house and sawmill houses are the duplicates.  Used shiplap for the roof and then R9 metal panels.

( I built scaffolding on both sides of the sawmill house so I could safely work on the roof because I am vertically challenged :) ).
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

DennisK

I built scaffolding on both sides of the sawmill house so I could safely work on the roof because I am vertically challenged

Wow, nice job, I'm going to borrow that from you. Are you done yet? :D

EOTE

Quote from: DennisK on February 02, 2020, 10:26:57 PM
I built scaffolding on both sides of the sawmill house so I could safely work on the roof because I am vertically challenged

Wow, nice job, I'm going to borrow that from you. Are you done yet? :D
The scaffolding was actually pretty easy to build and allowed me to overcome that fear of heights I've had all my life.  Basically it is 2" x 4" s on 4' centers with handrails and sturdy foot boards.  The foot boards were sawn from a couple of dead standing SYP's as 5/4" material.  I used structural screws to hold everything together which also made it easier to take down once it was completed.

I had an old pair of Skecher's Shape Ups tennis shoes that were absolutely non-slip on the metal roof and "no cry" knee pads I found on Amazon.  It really made the job anxiety free.

Assembly was straight forward, screwing the columns to the floorboard supports and then screwing that assembly to the horizontal holding member.  Then as I laid 12' floorboards, I also added the hand rails. (My wife even helped with the assembly).

I was then able to lay the shiplap on the roof.

We laid an underlayment of tar paper just to keep the boards dry until we were able to add the metal roofing.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

doc henderson

I have an intermittent fear of heights.  If it is something I am or have built, I do better.  I have to be a little psyched.  but in the right frame of mind, I can work and play at 40 to 50 feet.  

me at Philmont 2016, at 42 feet.   :o :o :o

repelling from 50 feet
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jeepcj779

The US Army Airborne school thinks the scariest altitude/height is 34 ft. above the ground.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

doc henderson

@eote that is a sturdy building and will be around for a hundred years.  keep us posted on your progress.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I have some serious shed envy.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

EOTE

Quote from: doc henderson on February 03, 2020, 01:26:59 PM
@eote that is a sturdy building and will be around for a hundred years.  keep us posted on your progress.
You know, that's what my neighbor said too.   ;D

Tom King

I built new houses for a living, with scaffolding very similar to that, for I forget how many years until I accumulated enough real scaffolding to do a whole side of a house. Now I have enough to do a whole house, and Alum-A-Pole will almost spoil you, since you're always working at a comfortable height.

The first couple of years, before impact screwdrivers, the wooden scaffolding was put together with double headed nails.

While I had the scaffolding up, since I did everything myself, I'd completely finish one side,and then take the scaffolding down to do another side.  People would say that it looked really strange to see a house with one finished side, and the others still had solid plywood sheathing.

Your buildings look great!

EOTE

Quote from: Tom King on February 03, 2020, 07:43:19 PM
I built new houses for a living, with scaffolding very similar to that, for I forget how many years until I accumulated enough real scaffolding to do a whole side of a house. Now I have enough to do a whole house, and Alum-A-Pole will almost spoil you, since you're always working at a comfortable height.

The first couple of years, before impact screwdrivers, the wooden scaffolding was put together with double headed nails.

While I had the scaffolding up, since I did everything myself, I'd completely finish one side,and then take the scaffolding down to do another side.  People would say that it looked really strange to see a house with one finished side, and the others still had solid plywood sheathing.

Your buildings look great!
Tom King, thank you for the encouragement.  I have a thread going on building my retirement home at Building our Dream Home a.k.a. Delusions of Retirement.  I just started site prep today after spending the last 2 years sawing lumber for the home, building a sawmill house and drying house, and putting up an awning for my work area in front of our barn.

Old Greenhorn

@EOTE I have been following your posts from the very beginning and I finally have to tell you I have a heck of a lot of respect for your planning, your execution, your patience, and your steady follow through. I have done similar, but no where near the scale and the commitment you are showing. Nor do I have the skills you exhibit. My admiration is hard to describe.
 I just looked up your location to see if I could wangle a visit and maybe give you a days labor in the bargain but sadly you are about 8 hours fast drive from my family seat in Texas (and I live in NY). I used to travel (fly/drive) to Waco every year or two to one of our plants, but since I got a new boss 8 years ago, he would rather send a newbie/weenie that won't make waves. ;D I visit family on the gulf coast south of Houston every couple of years and we are due for that trip soon. But it's gotta be a full day of driving and there is now way I can talk the wife into that. The only way is if we drive to Texas and stop along the way. I guess I will have to start working on that plan. ;D
 Anyway, just now some of us are really enjoying and admiring what you are doing and how you are doing it. Good on ya mate!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

EOTE

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 03, 2020, 08:34:56 PM
@EOTE I have been following your posts from the very beginning and I finally have to tell you I have a heck of a lot of respect for your planning, your execution, your patience, and your steady follow through. I have done similar, but no where near the scale and the commitment you are showing. Nor do I have the skills you exhibit. My admiration is hard to describe.
I just looked up your location to see if I could wangle a visit and maybe give you a days labor in the bargain but sadly you are about 8 hours fast drive from my family seat in Texas (and I live in NY). I used to travel (fly/drive) to Waco every year or two to one of our plants, but since I got a new boss 8 years ago, he would rather send a newbie/weenie that won't make waves. ;D I visit family on the gulf coast south of Houston every couple of years and we are due for that trip soon. But it's gotta be a full day of driving and there is now way I can talk the wife into that. The only way is if we drive to Texas and stop along the way. I guess I will have to start working on that plan. ;D
Anyway, just now some of us are really enjoying and admiring what you are doing and how you are doing it. Good on ya mate!
Old Greenhorn, you have absolutely humbled me with your praise.  I really don't know where to begin but maybe start by telling my wife all those nice things. ;D ;D :D  No, really, she appreciates what I am doing and supports it 110%.  She still works full time but she comes over (200 miles one way) on the weekend to help me.  
You are always be welcome to come by to visit.  Jacksonville is about 4 hours east of Waco and I think its about 3 hours from the north side of Houston so Galveston is probably another hour and a half if you have to drive through Houston.  Either way, if you decide to, just give me a holler.
As far as my skills and patience and other traits, I have to say I am my own worst critic.  I always review what I have done and try to learn how to improve on it; even if I did a great job.  I always see the things I could have done better.  I am also curious and have never been afraid to learn a new skill.  I also value input from others because they see things in a different perspective than I do and often times can offer their experiences or knowledge.  The more I learn the less I know...I guess that is my addiction.
Thanks.

Old Greenhorn

Indeed, I have suspected for a while that we are of like minds, but you seem to learn much better from all those 'lessons' than I do. :D
 You are closer than I had thought. My cousins I visit are in Angleton, Lake Jackson (my Uncle Gus designed the city of Lake Jackson as a side job in the evenings), and Freeport on the coast. I don't expect to ever get back to Waco since I will retire (hopefully) in a few months. Sounds like you are about 5 hours north. I just have to wait for the opportunity and I am patient. Of course, that may mean we are sitting on the porch of your finished home by the time I make it. ;D

Cruiser_79

Nice sheds you all have! Great inspiration. 
Don't wanna highjack this topic but need some advice as well. Just bought a 'new to me' mill, a Mebor. We can pick it up next week together with an old edger. I was thinking of building a back drag feature on the machine, with a roller table and a kind of sorting/storing table next to the edger. Big and heavy beams I would like to take of the mill with the chain turners back on the loader forks. 
But in this topic I also see edgers parallel to the mill instead of in line, is that a better solution than in line? I have the feeling I might miss something  :) 
I want to start milling some silverpine for building a simple shed, and I'm figuring out or it's better to make it long and narrow, or short and wide. 

caveman

Eote's shed is nice enough to live in.  Mine was built on the cheap and we added a little on to it today.  Last Saturday we bought some used roofing metal that was about 9' long for $1 a foot to provide some much needed shade from the afternoon sun.  Ever since Hurricane Irma took our huge live oak that used to provide shade, the afternoon sawing has been uncomfortable and the mill has been subjected to the paint fading UV rays.

We cantilevered some 4" pipe out about 6' and bolted together two purlin pieces to span the width and started mounting the used roofing.  The shade is very welcome.  Snow load is not an issue and leaf load should be manageable as long as I sweep or blow off the roof once or twice a year.

John slid the "new" panels under the old ones and I screwed them down.

We may still drape a few feet of shade cloth off of the end to help later in the day.  
Caveman

WDH

That will make a huge difference.  Some like it hot, some not.

Patrick NC

Mine is a little smaller than the op was looking for, but this works for me. I can get a bobcat in and 16 foot logs. Its 20x22

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Log Jammer

Does anybody know of a quick reference for beam load calcs on these massive 20 to 30 foot spans? Or other potential joists to use for this purpose?

jeepcj779

I believe there is a calculator in the FF tool box under "Extras".

Thank You Sponsors!