iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loaded tire froze, how to change fluid?

Started by Holmes, October 07, 2014, 07:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holmes

Looks like one loaded tire on a Kubota B3030 froze last winter , expanded and stretched, and broke some of the tire cords. The tire appears to have a standard air valve. How can I get some fluid out and add some back . Is there a special adapter that fits the air valve.  I checked the thread hoping it was an 1/8" thread but it is smaller than that.
Think like a farmer.

beenthere

You can, I believe, just turn the valve core out and fluid will come out if it is an ordinary valve stem.

From what you say, you apparently think it is too full.

Are you planning to replace the tire, or what is the plan?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

samandothers

Magicman

Your farm supply should have the adapter which is like the one pictured in the above link.  My tractor tube stem is brass and unscrews about half way.  The water hose adapter screws onto the bottom half.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Holmes

I had never seen or heard of that adapter and that's what I need. I believe the tire is full of water , I need to get some type of anti freeze into the tire once I determine what is actually in the tire.
Think like a farmer.

beenthere

I loaded my compact utility tires with windshield washer fluid, and just laid them on the ground, broke the bead and poured about 30 gal in each tire. Cheap and doesn't freeze.. that I am aware of over the 16 years its been in there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

I use windshield washer fluid in my skidder. Just make sure it's "winter blend" the stuff they sell in the summer will freeze. I used an old electric fuel pump and hose clamped a hose on the valve stem which was positioned at the top. It's an all day affair with this method. Wish I would have had one of those adapter things with the "bleeder valve".
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

shinnlinger

I would jack the wheel off the ground and pull the stem and then rotate the tire to the bottom.   Most of the water will escape.   Then I would rotate the stem to the top and make up a 2 ft or so peice of 4" or larger PVC pipe with a clean out glued to both ends.   One end I would tap in an air chuck and on the other an air nipple I could hook to my air compressor.   I would then fill the tube with windsheild fluid and blow it into the tire.   I would refill the tube as many time as necessary until it was full. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Chuck White

In this area, instead of putting calcium cloride in tractor tires for weight, Kubota has started loading them with Molasses.

Molasses can be bought cheap enough in the feed stores.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Now molasses must be a real joy when a tire needs changing for a flat or a new tire.
Would be interested to hear more about that technique tho.

I am thinking he may have meant Rimguard, which is a desugared by product of sugar beets, IIRC
south central Wisconsin

Holmes

I have a couple of transfer pumps.  I will pour the ww fluid in a bucket, suck it up with the pump and  washing machine hose and push it into the tire with another wm hose. I need to buy the valve for the tire at TS.  If I jack the tire off the ground and put the valve on the bottom to let the fluid {straight water} drain out I can lower the tire to the ground and let the weight of the tractor push the fluid out.  Thats my plan and I'm sticking to it. ::) 8)
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!