iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Updating a old garden shed with cottonwood siding

Started by 21incher, October 06, 2014, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I have a old garden shed that was pretty ugly and needed a new roof so I decided to give it a facelift. I moved it over 300 miles and wanted to save it.

I ripped off the old roof and framing and replaced it with a new look

Made the trim from some cottonwood that I had cut last spring and replaced the double door with a smaller opening.

I had cut 1/2" x 4 1/2 cottonwood for siding, but it curved so bad drying that I wound up cutting it into shorter pieces and could only get 4" wide pieces. I made a taper jig for my planer and planed it all with a 3/8" to 1/8" taper.

installed it with 3 1/2" exposed. Stained all sides before installing and used galvanized narrow crown staples to attach it stapling just above the top of each strip.

Made a door out of Ash and bead board exterior plywood. Added some hardware and the front is finished.

3 more sides to go. I placed a wall in the center and the front half will be garden shed and the rear now has a door and will be insulated and become a chicken coop. The shelter next to it will be turned into a greenhouse next spring. One thing I found out is thin cottonwood curves a lot when drying and I have to cut more to make up for waste.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WmFritz

That looks great! I like the look of the new roof.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

GAB

21incher:
You wrote: "I made a taper jig for my planer and planed it all with a 3/8" to 1/8" taper."
Would you per chance have some pictures of this tapered jig and also pictures of it in use?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

m wood

yup. there may be snow in your yard real soon 21incher...BUT NOT ON THAT ROOF :D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

21incher

GAB it was just a piece of 1 x4 that I hot glued a 1/4" strip to one side and ran through the planer to give me a tapered base, then removed the strip and stapled/glued a guide on the low side and screwed it to the bed. The only issue I ran into is I had to cleanout the input guard to my dust collector quite often because of the size and fluffiness  of the chips from removing 1/4" on the thin side. Right now I have my entire shop and dust collector lines torn apart trying to figure out how to fit a new bigger  jointer in it, but the middle of next week I be back up and run another batch with some pictures.

Quote from: m wood on October 07, 2014, 05:42:28 AM
yup. there may be snow in your yard real soon 21incher...BUT NOT ON THAT ROOF :D
Bring on the lake effect, I am ready. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

m wood

fudd-smiley :snowman:  some are expecting another doozy.  I think am hoping for something average :D.  Anyways, your shed proves that you are ready.  Woohoo!
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

VT_Forestry

Looks great, if I was a chicken I'd be mighty proud to call that home  :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

21incher

Quote from: GAB on October 06, 2014, 07:32:59 PM
21incher:
You wrote: "I made a taper jig for my planer and planed it all with a 3/8" to 1/8" taper."
Would you per chance have some pictures of this tapered jig and also pictures of it in use?
Gerald

Today I got my shop back together and ran the rest of the siding. Took some pics  for you.
First I jointed all the boards, and then ripped them to the proper width. Next I planed the backside to make them all the same thickness which is 1/16" thicker then the finished siding.

Then I screwed my jig to the planer bed. It is just a tapered board with a guide on it.

The siding goes in a rectangle.

And exits tapered.

After about 5 minutes if planning the siding my dust collector stopped sucking. It turns out the chips are so light and fluffy and don't compress like normal chips that my cyclone can in front of the dust collector was full.

And even though my dust collector bag was still half empty, my canister filter was stuffed full of the fluffy chips. I have never had this happen before and it happened so quickly with the cottonwood which blows around in the collector and up into the cartridge like leaves.

Cleaned everything out and finished the siding. If I was going to paint it I would just mount the jig in my thickness sander and do a light pass with some fine sandpaper. :)

GAB

Thanks a lot for the education.
Pictures go a long ways.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!