iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chomper firewood processor - What happened to Rainier Hydraulics?

Started by SteveR.3621, October 06, 2014, 01:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveR.3621

I own a Chomper Firewood Processor. I'm in need of a new shearing blade. I've tried numerous times to contact Rainier Hydraulics. No luck. Their website it still up and running, but I haven't had any emails returned. One of their phone numbers is still working with an recorded message and but no returned phone calls. Their other phone number is a travel agency or something now.
I've heard from another Chomper owner that they might have gone out of business. If that's the case then I'm stuck with a machine in which I can't get a blade for.
Is anyone else having similar issues? Any info on the company?
Thanks for your help!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Did the old blade just wear out? metal fatigue?

Can you tell what metal it is (steel, hardness, etc.) and maybe get a blank of the same or similar to cut up and make fit?

How have you liked the chomper?

Member Leonz has been carrying a flag for the chomper, IIRC. Maybe contacting him will yield some good answers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SteveR.3621

The blade was metal fatigue, cracking. I've had my processor since 2010. Since date of purchase I have gone through 2 blades which I simply ordered through the company no problem. Until the company was no more.

I took the blade to my local machine shop. After some research we found there is a patent on the blade. Which would prevent us from replicating the blade. Not to mention trying to pin point the exact type of metal Rainier originally used. It seems as though the blade is tempered on the cutting edge.

I love my Chomper when its working! It has been a great processor and would continue to be if I could get a blade for it!
Thanks for your help.

Ianab

While I'm not a lawyer, I don't think a patent will stop you manufacturing a replacement part? If you started selling those replacement parts, or a clone of the machine, that is covered by the patent, then you can get hauled through court.

Also, a patent needs to be registered to someone? That's a point of contract to find out who is licensed to make them?

Lastly, if it's broken twice, maybe the patent isn't so great, and the design can be improved on anyway?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Agree with Ian.
Give a shot at duplicating or improving on the blade. (the patent would only keep you from selling the blade)
And look for a blacksmith who might be able to heat treat it.  If improved, then can apply for a new patent on your idea. 8)

Some location info in your bio (under profile) would help with some answers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SteveR.3621

Ian - I'm going to blame myself for the first blade breaking. Being new on the machine and learning all about it etc.. The first blade cracked within the first 4 months. The 2nd blade (which lasted 2 1/2 to 3 years) cracked from wear and tear I suppose. Not sure how long a blade is supposed to last. I wasn't too concerned being the company (Rainier Hydraulics) has been in business for 30+ years and no mention ever about it possibly going out of business. I was under the impression I could pick up the phone and order a new one anytime. It's been out of order for a year or so now. A lot of money sitting there growing weeds around it.

Thanks for the answers on a patent. The machine shop thought it meant no duplicating what so ever. Will look into possibly making one.

Would still like to know what happened to Rainier Hydraulics and if anyone else is having blade issues. Or possible someone out there is already making replacement blades?

Updated my bio and also messaged Leonz as you suggested, "beenthere".
Thank you both for your feedback

Steve

gspren

Could you post some close up pictures of the blade and where it breaks? Can you tell if it was machined from bar stock or was it cast or drop forged? If I would see one I could probably suggest a grade of steel.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ivan49

Did the machine shop do a hardness on your blade. I would do it on the cutting edge and then back on the blade away from the cutting edge. If they did you need these numbers. Call a steel supplier in your area and give them the size ( length, width, and thickness) and tell them that it has to be hardened to the numbers from the machine shop so they get the correct kind of steel.Then have a new one machined and sent out for heat treat. It sounds like the machine shop you took it to did not want to do it and not because of the patent on it.

r.man

The blade might need to be thicker steel except for the guide area at the sides? Not sure it is rocket science based on this homemade machine which seems to work well.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukfD09Rh7KY
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I have no idea what this thing looks like but if it is a shear heat treated 4140 steel would be a good choice .

This is the same steel they use for punch press dies,axles, wrenchs ,some aircraft engine cylinders .

Stephen Alford

Hey there,welcome to the forum. Some pics would be great. Curious as to horsepower pump size, wood species and size, configuration of shear. I do not have the expertise some of these lads on here have ,  just some personal experience from shearing firewood for eight years. Have never replaced a blade ,just a small crack a couple of years ago. Here is a pic anyway. This one cuts and splits at the same time.

logon

TeaW

I had a 16 in chomper for a few years, I replaced the blade once. The next time it cracked, I cut 4 inches of the bottom following shape of blade and sharpened it the same as it was and added 4 inches to top. Worked just as good as new.
TeaW

SteveR.3621

I can't figure out how to upload pics. If you want to see the machine run they have examples on you tube just search chomper firewood processor.

Log width can be no more than 14" in diameter.
Species is hard wood - maple, oak, hickory, cherry, walnut
The motor is 35 horse Yanmar diesel
Ram - 6X18 sweco
Pump- 40 gal per min. 2 stage permco
    20GPM@3000psi
    40GPM @1000psi

Thanks for all the feedback!
Steve

sawdust

I realize this is a really old thread!
I have been asked to do some maintenance on a maybe eight year old machine that I used in the past. The blade has more play side to side than I think it should. It slops to the point that it is causing wear on the shoulder of the hydraulic cylinder and not lining up with the limit switches.
If you guys still have access a machine could you give the cylinder rod a push and pull and let me know how far side to side the blade moves in it's guides.

David
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!