iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sponge Log Square Cants

Started by scully, October 05, 2014, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

So today is day 2 of another nightmare job . Rotted logs useless help rain . So I load another punky log and start sawing . Yup another Sponge log sawed into a square cant ! Shaveing sponge boards off . I explained to the customer with the 80 acers of prime hemloc woods that he should do some selective harvesting so that he could get some grade yield  for the $$$ he is spending . The reply .......I won't cut a live tree ! Okay then ! Lets have another one of them sponge logs ! My BF average is about 150 BF per hour ! Don't you laugh at me dawgoneit ! I am sooooooo going hourly on this job !
I bleed orange  .

Banjo picker

I know the feeling.  We had some high wind a couple of years ago.  It blew down a good bit of timber.  I was cutting some of a customers logs up so he could build a fairly large barn.  After about the third load of so so logs I asked what he was doing with the better quality stuff, as I knew there was some nice pine on the site ....he was selling it to a lumber co. and only sawing the logs that they wouldn't buy... Oh well its his barn....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

GDinMaine

Oh that sounds very familiar.  A few weeks ago I demonstrated to the customer that a fair number of his logs were rotten, by snapping an 8" wide board in half without any serious effort.  I told him he is wasting his money having me saw that stuff.  It was an hourly job - of course.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

dgdrls

Scully,

sounds like the mill is repaired from the big oak adventure?

DGDrls

scully

Yeh got the mill repaired right away . I should finish tonight we saved the rotted 18'-20' logs for last ............... ::)
I bleed orange  .

Peter Drouin

I have cut some that were like that. But just 1 or 2 for the whole job . I went to a job 2 weeks ago where the customer sold the nice logs to a big mill and wanted me to cut the junk that was left. The log pile was a mess too . Told him to bring the junk to the big mill and see if they will cut them for him. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

Scully,
Great play on words!
Lotta funny guys on this forum.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

One thing with logs like that the blade will last a long time. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

It's kinda crazy how some folks think,  not sure why he would have you continue to saw them.  Must be a pride thing?  I reckon if the check is in hand, it makes no difference.  Just a shame on him I suppose.  Glad you got back to sawing so quickly,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GDinMaine

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 08, 2014, 06:39:48 AM
One thing with logs like that the blade will last a long time. :D :D

You are right ... :D :D :D ... and there is no need for debarker as there is no bark to debark...
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Thank You Sponsors!