iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain question

Started by Skioutty, October 05, 2014, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skioutty

Can a Sthil chain be lengthened or shortened at home?

dougand3

You can if you have a Breaker / Spinner tool. Sizable investment for occasional use.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Skioutty

Yeah that's the response I was expecting.
I was hoping for some kind of trick using my bench vise.
Thanks dougand3

jaygtree

a guy i use to log with would punch out a chain rivet with a drift and hammer, lengthen/shorten the chain then use a new rivet and peen it on the anvil part of a vice.  jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Skioutty

I guess for the occasional guy like myself, you could use a hand file to remove the rivet.
Using a hammer anvil would take some practice for sure.

webgal

The trick is not so much breaking it, but getting a good spin. You'll have to use Stihl Brand pre-set and tie-strap. You don't need a full bench breaker and spinner, but you can get a hand held one. When you spin, make sure you don't crank on it too hard or else you won't get free movement on the chain and it will be a catch point when running.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

Skioutty

Thanks

The preset and tie strap need to match the chain specifically, as in .325?

webgal

Yes, and on the preset site the gauge matters too with my experience spinning Oregon and Carlton chain. I'm guessing that Stihl brand chain would follow a similar rule.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

HolmenTree

Skioutty, it sounds like you're not going to break a lot of chain. Yes you can break a chain with no problems on a bench vise. I've done it and shown others many times before.
First make sure you find an area on the vises jaws that have  nice sharp edges, have a box or something behind the vise to hold the loop of chain level to the jaws of the vise.
Lay the chain flat between the jaws and gently tighten up the jaws with the chains side links [tie straps] laying evenly between them, one jaw supporting the drive links the other jaw supporting the cutters.

Gently squeeze the side links of the chain with both jaws. All the links within the full length of the vises jaws don't need to be held, just the link to be broke needs to be held at the outside corner of the jaws.
Now put a center punch, a carpenters finishing nail set punch works perfect with the little concave tip on either rivet of the side link directly ahead of a cutter with its side plate up. With a light hammer gently with enough force to punch the rivet through the side link, do the same with the other rivet sharing the same side link. The chain is now broken.

Now you can take out or add how many links you need. If you punch out the rivet straight on dead center and don't bend it you can use that preset over again. You won't have as much rivet head to work with but there will be enough there ........ even enough for my 45 h.p. Yamaha bike saw running Oregon 72 LG practice chain. ;)

When tying the loop back together make sure not to have the preset link and the side strap link upside down, compare to others.
To get the side link back on the punched out preset link you will need the smallest socket in your tool kit, center the socket over the side links rivet hole and tap with a hammer both rivets evenly until the rivets comes through and the link is as snug as it can be.
Now with the chain laying on an anvil or heavy steel take a ball peen hammer flatten the rivets until their flat to the side link checking periodically to not over tighten the link.

If I could post a video the whole process takes me a little over a minute.
I just checked the last post and I see you may need a little more educating in chain, don't mix Oregon, Carlton etc. parts with Stihl  chain.......
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Skioutty

Thanks, and yes I'm taking in all the knowledge that I can find.

coxy

I think I have them tools to do the chain ill look if I have you can have them im not to far out of roscoe on you way to trout creek

Oliver1655

My local saw shop will break & reloop a chain for $1 & .50 for the new link.  I can't justify buying the right tool for that price.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

webgal

No doubt picking up a bench model spinner and breaker isn't worth it unless you are looping a reel of chain a year minimum.

However having a portable tool could come in handy if you are out in the woods. Not every time that spare loop ends up in the truck.

Skioutty

I found a local guy to do them for $2.50 each.

Thank You Sponsors!