iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Deer Feeder

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 04, 2014, 10:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I guess this could go in a few different categories.
A while back, I posted pics of my Log Planters and a few of you made you some using your mill or chainsaw.

I few weeks ago, I started using them as Deer feeders. I figured the Pine log is a natural thing for the Deer....so I set them in my food plots....fill with corn and get a gallon of,  your choice of a Deer lick. I bought a gallon of Corn & Apple flavored liquid and poured over the corn and the log planter itself. I had to re-fill it today after 7 days. The Deer eat good and paw the planter. Can't wait until Saturday to see the show.

I sold quite a few of these in the spring for flowers to be planted in......but since spring is over....no sales.
Now I market them as Deer feeders and sales have picked back up tremendously! And since we're selling Deer Corn from the farm....I sold 5 today.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

You are one enterprising son of a goat ;)
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on October 04, 2014, 11:04:06 PM
You are one enterprising son of a goat ;)

I'm always thinking.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ozarkgem

I think it is ready for the Still. 8)
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

WDH

Really cool.

The am sure that the deer own here will appreciate the symbolism, but the hogs won't care  :).  The hogs are really bad right now.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

21incher

Nice idea, but here in NY I think it is illegal to feed the deer. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WmFritz

I'm picturing the deer lining up like cattle in your trough.

There's a bar not so far from Jeff's place in the UP, that used to have the deer yarded up in the winter behind the building. The owner kept hay out all winter and along an 8' picture window, he had an eave's trough kept full of corn nailed to the sill. It was a great place to snowmobile to with the kids and watch the deer against the glass. The DNR shut him down.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

yukon cornelius

in Missouri it can be a deer feeder unless you are hunting near it. I would call it a livestock feeder that the deer are stealing from.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Dave Shepard

You have to feed your deer down there? Up here they just eat it off the stalk. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

Quote from: 21incher on October 05, 2014, 08:52:56 AM
not in Sullivan Co ;)  8) 8)

Dave Shepard

I may be off, but I think in MA if you put it out year-round, it's feeding. If you put it out just for hunting season, it's baiting, which is illegal.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I think in Maine you can feed the deer,but not during hunting season. I feed them in the winter and early spring. I can't get them to eat the food part April. I just scatter the food in a line about 40-50 feet.
Good idea you have there POSTON.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Laws vary state to state.  In Georgia, it is legal to hunt over corn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Quote from: coxy on October 05, 2014, 09:18:58 PM
Quote from: 21incher on October 05, 2014, 08:52:56 AM
not in Sullivan Co ;)  8) 8)
From the DEC website
"In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed."
That is for all of NY. They have more info on their  websitesite.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!