iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Pocket Knife Do You Carry?

Started by pappy19, October 04, 2014, 09:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I like the Case knives.

Easy to sharpen and they seem to fit my hand pretty well.

I have an old Case fixed blade knife that I bought when I was 13, the blade is 3 inches long.

It's been sharpened enough to where the blade is too shallow to get sharp anymore!

Man, I've had that knife for over 50 years, enough to make a guy feel old! smiley_old_guy
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

elk42

Case knifes works for me.  8)
    Top knife every day use, center knife special events, bottom knife hunter. 

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Ron Scott

I'm also partial to Case and carry a folding Case 6265-SAB hunting like the one pictured and carried it when I was fighting fire with the USFS. Got it in Wenatchee, Washington while on a fire in 1970. I just got a new sheath for it last year.
~Ron

SLawyer Dave

I always use to carry a pocket knife.  I had the little tiny Swiss Army Knife on my key chain, (man was that a great little knife).  The tweezers and toothpick were just great. Then I became an attorney, and after 9/11, they won't even let you near a court house with a knife.  Then for a long time I just carried one after hours and on the weekends.  The problem is that it is hard to remember some times.  The final time I carried a pocket knife was when I had gone fishing.  It was a Cold Steele folding knife, (don't remember the model now), but I had brought it inside to clean and sharpen it.  I normally kept it in my truck glove compartment, so Monday morning I slipped it in my pocket to take back out to the truck.  I forgot about it, (of course).  Later that day I ended up on the 7th floor of a Federal District Court House when I happened to put my hand in my pocket and felt the knife.  I immediately realized that I had unknowingly brought this "concealed deadly weapon" through security without even realizing it.  How it did not set off the metal detector I will never know.  All I did know is that it scared the hell out of me.   

I thought about going back to the security screening and letting them know what happened, (as it was also scary thinking that such a knife would not set off the metal detector).  However, my common sense kicked in and said, "Get the Hell out of there as quickly as possible".

Now the only knives I ever carry are fixed blade on my belt if I am out in the wilderness.  That way it will be a lot harder for me to "forget" about it when I get back to civilization.   

reubenT

swiss with wood saw is my favorite.   That little saw is so useful for so many things.    I've had the same one for I think 24 years, on me every day,  used every day.     Broke the can opener/small screw driver,  and the lid opener/screw driver.  Blades getting a little thin from many sharpenings.  Both plastic sides finally fell off.  of course tweezers and tooth pick long lost.   Almost time for a new one.

beenthere

Doesn't sound like there is anything left except maybe some lint from your pocket.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Billbob

Quote from: reubenT on February 01, 2015, 04:56:20 PM
swiss with wood saw is my favorite.   That little saw is so useful for so many things.    I've had the same one for I think 24 years, on me every day,  used every day.     Broke the can opener/small screw driver,  and the lid opener/screw driver.  Blades getting a little thin from many sharpenings.  Both plastic sides finally fell off.  of course tweezers and tooth pick long lost.   Almost time for a new one.

Does it look like this?

I've had mine for 33 years.  I would be lost without it.  I have used it for everything from whittling tent pegs to skinning beaver.  I'm with you Reuben.  Apart from the knife blades the saw is the next most useful tool.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JW IN VA

Buck Vantage,Case Sodbuster,jr and Leatherman Wave daily." Town pants " have Kershaw Skyline and Sodbusterjr.Church pants  Kershaw Leek and Cas  three blade

Billbob

Quote from: beenthere on February 19, 2015, 06:50:14 PM
That a pic of snow?

I guess it is!!   :D :D 

For some reason the picture didn't post.   

Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

1270d

Gerber Evo Jr. is my favorite.  Also have the evo mid but had to regrind the blade into a traditional shape as it had  a tanto style.  Love the one-handability

Offthebeatenpath

Benchmade Elishewitz 730S (pre-production run) or Benchmade Osbourne 940.  I love the axis lock system on them. The Victorinox Swisstool is rarely far away if I need more than just a blade. 

I have a collection of over 200 vintage pocketknives and some fixed blades as well.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!