iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was raised calling this tree a silver maple but I am being argued with now

Started by just_sawing, October 04, 2014, 06:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I always thought of this tree as a silver maple. The owner asked me to identify this tree but others have jumped in and told me I am wrong. Help if it is not a silver maple what is it?

You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

Definitely a wrong leaf for what I've been told is a silver maple.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

beenthere

Not silver maple. Sorry,  ;)

Here is a link that shows the silver maple leaf and bark. Very "silvery" whitish underside to the leaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_saccharinum
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

I would say hybrid poplar, these are silvery on the underside of the leaves. Large tooth is a bit different in leaf shape, but similar. I see a few hybrids around here, they are much bushier trees. They sure aren't maple. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

just_sawing

They are fairly common here mostly in the yards. I have seen them pretty well all over Tn with some of them on old farms.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

RynSmith

I would've guessed white poplar, but it's always safe to defer to WDH.  :)

WDH

Ryn,

I am just going from the picture.  If the underside of the leaf is very bright silver, I think that you might have it. 

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Stroover

You can tell by the bark and leaves that it's deffinitely some type of poplar. Take a bite off one of the new, young  twigs. Does it taste like aspirin? If so, it is. (traditionally, that's how they got acetylsalicylic acid, the main ingredient in aspirin). If you ever need aspirin while in the woods and have none, you can chew on a twig or make a tea with some. Works pretty good, but it doesn't taste the best.
When my time is up, I want to hit the ground like a spent shell!

SliverPicker

Not a big toothed aspen.  Looks like some thing else, but don't know what.
Yooper by trade.

WDH

Ryn got it.  Check out Populus alba.  A native of North Africa and Europe. 

SwampDonkey

I read up on it a little, apparenty a lot planted in Cape Breton Island, NS. Any I see here don't grow straight and tall, they get real limby, almost maple like with the crown shape.

RynSmith

They verge on invasive around here, although apparently mostly urban; I've never seen any in the forest.

WDH

SwampDonkey

I've never seen any non-native tree take over the woods here either. They aren't tough enough. ;D

In fact the way it is, they really have to work hard to establish spruce trees on sugar maple ground to. It sure won't be pure spruce. Sugar maple is tough. If you don't brush the plantation, the spruce are not going to make it.

curdog

Swamp donkey, I'll be glad to send you some seed from our very best stock of invasives if you'd like to try to grow some. :D There are parts of my county where the invasives are growing on top of other invasives. I just don't want you to feel left out from the joy of dealing with them. 8)
Kudzu, privet, tree of heaven, paulownia, miscanthus, japanese laquer ,Japanese knotweed, bittersweet, English ivy, bamboo,stilt grass,  sericia lespedeza,callory pear, take your pick

WDH

thurlow

Locally, they were known as (I know that don't make it so) silver leaf poplar;  only ones I ever saw were in folk's yards.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Thank You Sponsors!