iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

deere 540a axle question

Started by teakwood, October 03, 2014, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Both axles are identical but the rear holds 4.5 gallons of oil and the front with the lock 9 gallons. I pulled the front axle to do the brakes. there were about 9gallons of oil inside. When i refill it now the level plug drains oil by 4.5 gallons. do i have to ignore the level plug and fill the diff until the top? and if so why is there a level plug? Thanks for answers
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Maine logger88

I bet the seals on your brakes or locker is bad and over filled the front end I'd fill too the level plug. Did you replace the seals when you had it apart
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

teakwood

I changed all the seals on the brake. On the lock i dident because everything looked like new. So why does the deere manual say 9gallons for the front diff? On the level plug is just 4.5gallons.  There is a small 1/4 hyd hose to the diff, thats the pressure line to the lock. than there is a bigger 1/2 hose (lower pressure) back to the transmission case. I think its the return line from the lock. dont you think that the diff is geting filled thru this biggger hose? and thats just normal? because everything worked just fine befor. When you open the level plug after operating the skidder is it just leveled or is the plug full and you close it quickly so it will not lose to much oil?

Maine logger88

O I gotcha the manual says that I thought you meant that you just drained that much out. I guess I don't know what too say on my B I run 5 gal in the front and 5 in the rear both my front and rear have a diff lock. If the manual says 9 then it probably should have 9

teakwood

Thanks for the answer. I will put the same amount back in. I just wondered how does these hoses work. Why the 1/2" lock returnhose? The pressure hose to the difflock i think its a closed circuit. When the difflock is engaeged the pressure activates the lock, when released the pressure the oil will flow back in the same hose, it wount go into the diffhousing.

Maine logger88

I believe the only way it would go into the diff housing would be if the seals leaked. I can call a friend (who is a Deere mechanic) and ask him about the other hose and why the manual would call for that much in the front housing

teakwood

I studied the manual again. if i understand that correct: when pressure is build up in the lock the used oil is going into the diff housing loses his pressure and flow back thru the bigger hose to transmission sump. that will mean that the front diff is totaly full with oil. that would explain the 9gallons.
P.S. I got the brake fibers from a tractorcompany in canada, both axles (24fibers and all the rivets) for 380$ shipped to miami.

craigc

Ok, You have me concerned I just did this to my 540B.  The John Deere mechanic told me 4.5 gallons in the front.  When I drained it that is about what it had.  Going to have to call him back tomorrow.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

ehp

from what I remember 4.5 gal is correct , if rearend oil is right to the top in rearend your diff seal is gone

teakwood

Remember its an 540a. the manual says 4.5 in the rear (fixed axle), 9 in the front (axle with diff lock)

ehp

you could be right as its been alot of years sense doing a rearend on a 540a  but have done lots of rearends in 440, 540, 640 and 740's

Maine logger88

The b series I'm pretty sure is 4.5 front and rear

Thank You Sponsors!