iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice change from blowdown salvage

Started by Ken, October 03, 2014, 08:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

We've been chasing blowdown since July 4th.  The 70 acre block we are on is also about 40% blowdown.  We were however in a nice standing patch of predominately spruce over the last couple of days.  Biggest production days I've ever had.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jamie_C

If much of the stand looks like that it would be a dream to harvest.

1270d

The new machine showing any glitches or all smooth sailing?

SliverPicker

I've been in blown down garbage since July.  I can't wait to find something else.  Congratulations of getting in to a good patch of trees.
Yooper by trade.

barbender

What kind of production numbers are you seeing, Ken?
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Ken do you multistem quite a bit?  It looks like you have the extra clamp on top of the wishbone.  How does it measure?   I have never quite figured out how to get consistent length measurements with two or three stems.  Seems one will always stick a little bit and end up behind the others, or one will drop out of the wheels.

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on October 05, 2014, 08:09:43 AM
Ken do you multistem quite a bit?  It looks like you have the extra clamp on top of the wishbone.  How does it measure?   I have never quite figured out how to get consistent length measurements with two or three stems.  Seems one will always stick a little bit and end up behind the others, or one will drop out of the wheels.
I've used the multistem arms quite regular when cutting small diameter random length pulpwood.  Sometimes if you get two or three small trees positioned right you can do 8' reasonably well.  I think the key is to get the first one directly in the middle of the grab arms and top knife.  I also like the extra arms for plucking unmerchantables out of the way.  The machine has been relatively trouble free to date but only a little better than 500hrs clocked so far.

Quote from: barbender on October 04, 2014, 10:12:34 PM
What kind of production numbers are you seeing, Ken?

This block has been averaging 12 - 20 m3/hr with an average piece size of 0.35 m3.   The best area did not last long and I was back into blowdown yesterday.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

When I follow processors that multi-stem, I have to pick a lot of out of spec wood out of the piles. That could be due to the operators as much as the process. Ken, that would be around 4 to 8 cords an hour, right? I think we use a conversion factor of 2.4 m3 per cord.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!