iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanut Table

Started by Bill Gaiche, October 01, 2014, 02:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

This wood came from the top of an old walnut tree that I sawed lumber out of some time ago. It had been laying down by the river, as I went by it here while back I thought that old fork might make something. So I brought it home and chainsawed off all the bad ends and came up shorter than what I really wanted. I bandsawed it into some 1 1/2" pieces. Dried them. Last week I started a little table for the neighbor lady. The wood was not the best but I didn't want to through it away. I had never made anything like this before. I found that it was a fun job. Its also the first time to put in butterfly inserts. They are Bur Oak. bg

br>

PC-Urban-Sawyer

That is drop dead gorgeous!

David would want at least $300.01 for that.

Keep up the good work.

Herb

RynSmith

Very nice, and the butterfly approves of your butterflies I see.   ;D

pigman

That is very nice. Bill, I will tell you though, most people put the table on the mill upside down to level the legs. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

I like the butterfly on butterfly  :D.

That is really a beautiful table.  Inspires me. 

I love the natural edges.  Wow...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Really gorgeous table!  How was it working with the butterflies to join?  I have not tried that yet but would like to.  You stated your first so wondered how easy it was, or any tips.

gfadvm

Bill, That is a gorgeous job with the bookmatched crotch figure. And the butterflies are a perfect complement! Great pic with the visit from the butterfly.

Bill Gaiche

Sam. Easy. I just ordered a butterfly kit. It has a template, carbide cutter and brass bushing for the router. I just followed the instructions except I didn't use double sided tape when I could clamp instead. I don't have a plunge router. I set the cutter above wood and turn the porter cable router down to the amount I wanted to cut the butterfly. The insert is easy, just have to keep router snug against template.
Pigman, I did cut the legs to height on the mill. Just fooled you you a little.
Thanks guys for your comments. Its really easy to do. Just a lot of that DanG sanding. bg

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hackberry jake

Wholly Cow! Thats beautiful! Don't let the wife see it. I'll have to hunt walnut crotches for months.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WmFritz

I love it... I like the leg detail amongst all the other nice touches.

Bill, what kind of finish did you do?
I think you did that old downed tree proud.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ron barnes

Very nice work.  I love walnut natural edge tables.  Great job of saving the lumber.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dablack

Very nice.  That top is just beautiful.
Building my own house in East TX

Bill Gaiche

The finish is Cabots Semi Gloss varnish. I will keep my eyes open in hopes of finding some more wood like this. bg

tule peak timber

Very nice looking piece Bill... 8) 8) 8) 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Larry

A one of a kind and beautiful.  Really nice work Bill. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_bb

Nice!  I know there was a lot or work there.  What finish did you use?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sandhills

To say WOW!! would be an understatement, very, very nice Bill.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 01, 2014, 08:13:07 PM
I like the butterfly on butterfly  :D.

smiley_trap_drummer

Only on a Wanut bench.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rooster 58

HOLY MOLY!!!!
     That is an amazing table 8)

Left Coast Chris

Very nice table Bill,

How many coats of varnish and what grit did you sand down to?   The depth of the finish looks great.  Likely many coats (?).
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Bill Gaiche

LCC, Thanks. I just sanded it with 220. It has only 3 coats of varnish  sprayed on it. bg

Magicman

I was traveling and missed this Bill.  Very nice layout......Beautiful job !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

That is a very beautiful table you should be proud of. The top is matched beautifully and the butterflies / natural edges make it something special. Thanks for sharing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!