iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What the heck is Marmite anyway?

Started by Ianab, July 27, 2004, 03:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I was asked today "what is Marmite anyway?"
Rather that type a huge long answer.. this page will tell all.
The Marmite FAQ
http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/marmite.htm

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

I not afraid of much.  

Kiwi Charlie introduced me to Vegemite and Marmite.  I found out later about Our Mate.  

They are all pretty much the same product with Vegemite seeming to be the most intense and Marmite a little sweeter. Our Mate is on the mild side if there could be such a thing with a product like this.

The taste is reminiscent of the Geritol Iron Tonic I was given as a child.  Yes, we took Hadacol for a week or two till my Grandmother found out it was flavored alcohol. :D

Have you noticed an aftertaste after you take some iron capsules or "one-a-day" vitamins?   That is a little bit like this tastes.

It was a strange thing to my pallet the first time I tried it but I'm not one to make hasty decisions, especially about food. :D  Eventually I became more accustomed to it and even desire it on occasion.  While it's pretty good on buttered toast, I've put it on grits for a "Red-eye-gravy" kinda taste.  (the saltiness is good)  I've put it on saltines, Ritz Crackers and even dipped some from the jar with a spoon and held it in my mouth until it melted.  It's an interesting taste and definitely is acquired.  The consistency is one of Peanut Butter but a little thicker and dryer. It's not the type of thing that the American pallet recognizes as food-stuff.

My Grocery store is carrying Marmite now, at my request.  I don't buy much, but, it's a neat thing to have around the house.  Like I told my wife " You never know when an Australian, New Zealander or Englishman might show up at the house and we have to be hospitable".   I don't think she bought it. :D :D

Kevin

I had some of that on my front lawn.
If I had known you had a hankering for it I wouldn't have scooped it up and put it in the garbage.  :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dail_h

Been wantin' to try it,just can't find it anywhere. Is it expensive Tom?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Gilman

By the description and the looks, I think we would all be better off keeping it on the other side of the ponds.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Tom

Dail,
compared to the same amount of peanut butter, it is.  A small jar like this will last a long time.  The amount on the spoon is approximately what I spread on a piece of toast.

I think I gave 3 dollars each for the marmite jars.

I'm just a sucker for trying stuff from other countries. :D

Cedarman

I am sure that jar would last a long long time around here.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kevin

Jeff

After that taste test I'm lucky to STILL have dogs. ;) He's an Australian Shephard. Shoulda known he would like it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mark M

I tried some of that Vegamite once and boy that was something else. :o

LIL

Just thought you needed to know - around here "MARMITE IS THE BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS"  ;D

Its a great way to start a big day of milling! 8)
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

iain

tom your a sad old man :)
linda has a daily dose of stuff on her toast each am
and when i do the shopping with the boys theres always an argument about whos going to pick up the jar from the shelf and put it in the trolly (enter a shop assistant to do it for us and to stop the its your turn argument)
the worst thing is when linda butters the toast for every one and ACCIDENTLY ::) lets a bit of marmite escape from hers to ours :o
in the uk the you love it or detest it with not much middle ground

Texas Ranger

Tom, that stuff is the closest thing to sewer sludge to be sold on the market.  
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

I never thought of it like that Don but I guess there could be an analogy drawn there.

Some of the farmers around here allow sludge on their fields and you should see the huge corn it grows, ears as big as my forearm.   :DThink about that! :D

Pete J

Now I can't remember the name of the band that had a song about the man from down-under that ate vegemite sandwiches. I'm sure it will come to me at 2:00 a.m. while I'm trying to sleep.

Ianab

Aussie Band - Men at Work
Now you can sleep in peace  ;) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

iain

men at work supported fleetwood mac  and were so good they ended up with equal billing still listen to the LP  :)

Texas Ranger

Can we say "soilent green"?  I knew we could.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

karl

How 'bout that- all this time I thought it was some kind of furry varmint.
Beer leftovers you say? And it's good for you?  8)
Betcha it ain't on the shelves in MY local A&P!

Learning all the time.....

karl
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

ADfields

Tom, I got your back on this one! 8)  Thanks to Kiwi Charlie I'm hooked on the stuff also, but it did take a bit to get that way. :-/   At first taste I was  :-/-------- :-X :-X :-X but I'm not one to give up with the wife poking fun at me over something. ::)   Same stupid pride that got me hooked on Copenhagen back in 1966. ::) :'(   Now I'm off the dip but hooked on the sewer sludge, the dip is easer to find but my lip was about to fall off.
Andy

iain

its on the shelves in costco here 600g tubs vgood price to and also on the shelves of every shop no matter how small :'(

dail_h

Now, we got a Costco in Norfolk,I'll have to check the next time I'm in there. There's a Brit. lady lives at the bottom of the neck,think I'll check with her.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tam-i-am

Now I've been to some crazy places and tried some crazy things.  Most of them I found to be surprisingly enjoyable.  But this stuff would take a lot of getting used to!

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Buzz-sawyer

I once worked in a limestone mine, that made small pellets of limestone dust for easy dust free application for farmers, on thier fields...2 times a week bush beer sent a semi full of ..........guess what to bind it together!!!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!