iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roller conveyors

Started by blade69001, September 30, 2014, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blade69001

I run a lot of wood through my shop, (just under 40k bdft since May). I work some weekends and occasionally and evening or two. We spend a respectable amount of time cutting length on a crosscut saw with a wooden table. This has driven me crazy as I installed roller conveyors at my full time job years ago and they increase production dramatically in our P.E.T. work. Having a tight a tight budget I decided to make some.

Now if I can just remember how to get the pictures in the post from my gallery..
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

blade69001

I had this picture thing figured out once upon a time. Now I might actually have gotten it right.

So I cut the 3/4 DOM tube down to 10 3/4" long, and the 3/4 round stock 12" I have some 4 x 4 x 3/16 angle I plan to drill 3/4 holes in and then weld the round stock in place. A little bit of lube and let her fly.

slider

Blade I found some at the scrap yard out of an old warehouse about 20 bucks each.
al glenn

DeerMeadowFarm

Too bad you're so far away; I have a set I am going to sell soon!

Texas Ranger

Me, too, an 8 foot section on stand.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

blade69001

Currently I have a little over $120.00 in these two, each will be 10' long and 12" wide with 10 3/4 rollers. When I looked around the used market for these I kept getting told $300 for both plus shipping.

Plus I will get to use my welder some, I have not welded anything real since I was 20 and have other projects I plan to weld  as well so it is a good start.
Sean P

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

rooster 58

I got 90' of rollers for 90 bucks from another mill a few hrs away. I spied them on Pennswoods and went there pronto ;)

blade69001

Spent part of the day finishing up the roller conveyors,

Since I have not welded anything thicker than an exhaust pipe in 27 years I was surprised at my welding results. Here is the "Ugly weld" winner

I had forgotten how much I enjoy metal work. I am already thinking about a landing deck for my cants to be sat on so I can free up my forklift.

DeerMeadowFarm

blade69001

Ok been a busy couple of weekends, first the better half was wanting me to get a bunch of trees out of our back yard and start getting it cleaned up for the next project. Then I had someone give me a bunch of trees, but I had to get them out of his yard last weekend. Now we are back into the shop last night my oldest and I screwed down the rollers on some new tables I made and then we reconnected the dust collection system. We will see how it works this weekend, We have almost 12,000 bf to run through the shop in the next two days. I am not sure we will get it all done but we will give it all we have got.

Sean P.

slider

Sean what are you doing end trimming flooring.Nice roller table.
al glenn

blade69001

Slider,
  I am using that table to square up cants and PET cut them before we finish out the sawing process.
Sean P.

bandmiller2

Roller tables are usally a chance find I have one hanging in the mill for a future project. They are very common around bottling plants, and package handling. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DR_Buck

Building them is a lot of work.     I scored these at an auction in 2008 for $300.   

I put wheels on one end of each one to make moving them around easy.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Robert Owens

The rollers in DR_Buck's pictures can be had in Athens, Tn for 40-50 dollars a 10' section minus the legs. I found mine at a metal recycling/junk yard. They are 24" wide and do a great job. I had a 10' section that was 36" wide for the table saw for cutting plywood. So many uses for the rollers in order to save your back.

backwoods sawyer

I picked up some like bucks a while back, one set has a 1/2hp 120 motor to power the rolls. The rolls seem afull close together, figure on removing every other one and re using by building frames for two more sets.

Sean Looks like yours will have a long useful life.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

slider

You  might want to re think taking rollers out if they are going to be at the end of the mill.The closer the better.
al glenn

Tree Dan

I'm glad its working for you...It looks like a whole lot of friction to me with round stock through pipe.
You can buy those rollers with the bearings in them.
But it will speed production up for you on your miter table.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

blade69001

Do they work perfect no but I expected that.  I sprayed them with some WD-40 but I am thinking some Blue Creeper may be better until the weld line on the DOM tubes are worn off then it I expect them to be great.  ran almost 2000 12' cants over them this weekend and the close in rollers are already working better.

I still need about 20 more feet but they will not need to be near as heavy duty as these. 
Tree Dan yes it has helped production speeds as much as can be through a manual process, we still have to load and unload, eventually I will have a deck and descrambler but for now is one at a time to get loaded squared, cut, slid, cut, slid and cut again so it it still labor intensive.
That is why I have three sons.
Sean P.

Thank You Sponsors!