iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kids these days......

Started by CTL logger, September 30, 2014, 09:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

Hired my 15 yr old brother in law to help stack firewood this weekend paid him 8 bucks an hour, only cost me 24 bucks for his help. He gave up after 3 hrs didn't get the dump trailer unloaded, I was running processor alone for 3 hrs before he got there and finished up 6 hrs after he left. These kids are lazy today I'm definitely  not worried about some young guy coming along and taking my job, I'm almost three times his age and work circles around him, he's supposed to be some big tough football guy ha ha. His sister/ the wife  had to come get him and told him how sad it was he was getting out worked by me .

treeslayer2003

pft, 20 somthings ain't much better............not worried about um takin your job? i keep lookin over mah shoulder for some help.........there ain't no help comin.

Maine logger88

I have a 15 year old that works for me some he does a real good job he works real hard but as a general rule I know what you are saying
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine logger88

Easy slayer on the 20 something's :D :D :D

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 30, 2014, 09:23:29 PM
I just turned 30 and feel old  :D
We cant get help, had a 19yr old we trained all summer doing dirtwork and firewood, when it came down to crunch time he walked away. I watched a 28yr old guy walk off this boat last week because "its to hard". I can remember every year working the holidays with my father, it wasnt abnormal to go cut and skid for 4-5 hrs, have dinner and go back to work. Welcome to the "entitled" "take from the rich and give to me" generation. Its getting so bad out here, now the big push is "Shanghai-ing" the guys getting out of the service because we are down to a 10% survival rate on deckhands.

lynde37avery

Yea some of the 20's crowd here work hard. But teens I don't see but a few working hard. I haven't met anyone younger than 25 ask for work.
Detroit WHAT?

Southside

CTL - I hear you, but gotta bust on you a bit.  Why on earth would you pay him for 3 hours to unload a DUMP TRAILER???  Mine came with a really convenient button marked "UP", hold it down and the magic happens!! 

As a side note I have a nephew who graduated from college this year - still has no job at all, I have offered to put him to work here multiple times, will give him housing and feed him, last excuse was "It's not the type of work I want to do".
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

redprospector

The parents of those teens have to take some of the blame.
Those of us who know how to work learned it from someone.
Those who don't know how to work didn't learn it from someone.  :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

CCC4

I hauled square bales there for about 16 seasons, one year I was haulin for a large farm that had a rental cabin. The tenant had been a college football player for South Carolina...the Gamecocks I think...I don't do much with sports unless it involves motorcycles, fourwheelers or fists :). Anyway, I have always been real competetive and was worried about being done by this guy. We were stacking from the floor and filling in middle of the barn. We were stacking on edge.

Ok, so the guy came out of the gate strong for the first couple hours, real strong dude and was having zero trouble stacking over his head. I was stayin right with him stride for stride, jus not as graceful :). Along about 11pm things started going the other way for him, his body mass was coming into play, his strength was rapidly leaving his muscle bound arms with each over head bale. I thrive on that and went to chunkin, I was so fricken tickled...doing all that jus so I could say I did it...oh well. I was making .25 a bale, pretty *DanG good money actually and I was proud to be 160#'s LOL!

coxy

had the same thing happen had a 19 year old ask me for work told him 75 bucks a day ( I dont work long hours maybe 5-6  when working with someone new)and if he worked good and learnt fast I would pay more and work 8-9hours    took him longer to lay out 8000bft with a skid steer than it took to skid it out    and took naturel resources in  school :-\   was always standing there looking at me       paid him for 2 days and never called him back  and he worked for another logger for 2 years  (summers only still in school)  if my dad was there he would have kicked my a s then his  :D

wannaergo

Ouch.. Us young 20s punks don't have a very good reputation nowadays... I agree though, good help is very hard to find. Kids are taught in school to go to college so you don't have to work hard for a living, so nobody wants to. It's darn near impossible to find somebody that would get up at 3:30 with me, and work a 10 hour day every day, much less the occasional 12-15 hour day.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

thecfarm

I have seen a few in their 40's that was nothing to brag about too.   :( 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on October 01, 2014, 04:56:20 AM

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

timberlinetree

On a good note, Ashley works every weekend at the MacDonald s at the rest stop since she was 15 and still working! The boy started tobbaco at 14 and worked every summer until he went to collage plus did snow removal on snow days and ground mant. At a condo complex and is working while at collage. The littlest makes a mean batch of cookies so she's got it easy for now and she's only 13. And they all know a lot about chucking wood! :D I totally agree that most of the work force that is coming isn't coming >:(!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

repmma

In my opinion every generation since the "greatest generation" has been on a steady downward trend.  I agree with redprospector, the current generation (my generation) learned their habits from someone! 

In 1930 you probably didnt hear much complaining when someone had a tar paper shack, enough beans and flour for a couple weeks and a job digging ditches.

In 2014, people are going to bitch if... they dont have an iphone6 given to them while on welfare, cant buy soda with their welfare, dont have the newest car, dont have the newest flatscreen, cant find their perfect job in their liberal arts studies of "how plants affect human feelings", cant pay their $100k in debt they signed for while in college, etc etc. 

So I guess blame could be placed on the "good times" we are in.  Sure many aren't what they would call "rich" but our standards sure have changed, in many areas.   

At least thats my 30 year old view...

Bargemonkey, our industry is just not keeping up.  I can barely keep 3AE's, part of it is the draw to the rigs/drillships where a good job consists of standing a control room watch and no menial tasks.  The other problem is our pay spread isnt what it use to be when compared to good "shore" jobs where you can be home every night. 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Woodboogah

I would have to agree you learn your work ethic or lack there of from someone or your environment you grow up in.  I tossed around the idea of hiring someone and after a few meeting I was wasting my time, and most of them seemed like they had a lot of time to waste.  All had "experience", haha.  I did the college thing, twice.  I do not advocate to anyone to head to school right out of high school.  Find out your passion, maybe its a trade and then go further your education.  That does not necessarily mean college.  I am only 31 working hard makes me feel good.  There is really no incentive for younger folks to work.  Personally i Could not sit at home while everything was handed to me.  The working class is slowly disappearing unfortunately.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

BargeMonkey

Quote from: repmma on October 01, 2014, 07:09:29 AM

Bargemonkey, our industry is just not keeping up.  I can barely keep 3AE's, part of it is the draw to the rigs/drillships where a good job consists of standing a control room watch and no menial tasks.  The other problem is our pay spread isnt what it use to be when compared to good "shore" jobs where you can be home every night.
I just lost a good friend yesterday to a shoreside job. Im actively waiting on time for my 2AE ticket so I can take a cozy job @ T.O for 215 +15% overseas pay.  :D

CTL logger

Quote from: Southside logger on September 30, 2014, 10:59:02 PM
CTL - I hear you, but gotta bust on you a bit.  Why on earth would you pay him for 3 hours to unload a DUMP TRAILER???  Mine came with a really convenient button marked "UP", hold it down and the magic happens!! 

As a side note I have a nephew who graduated from college this year - still has no job at all, I have offered to put him to work here multiple times, will give him housing and feed him, last excuse was "It's not the type of work I want to do".
The "UP" button works fine but it still needs stacked I don't  have a big area to store it in. I unload it with the  dump raised the wood slides to the back and you don't bend over picking it up off the ground. I try to work smarter not harder but that's  just me.

sumday

My boys (15,17,&20) work circles around most men I know. They work construction with me all day, and then come home and split (with maul) and stack for a few hours just for enjoyment. But I realize they aren't the current normal.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 30, 2014, 09:23:29 PM
present company excluded lol

huskyxp

Up our way (eastern canada) there are still a few that want to work but they head west to work the oil patch if they have any ambition at all! Cant blame them as prob make 80-150 thousand a year to start , forestry is a dying art and wouldn't be half bad if there was money to be made but with price of fuel and machinery then finding stumpage at decent rate there's not much left at weeks end! You really have to love it n be half crazy to stick with it  ::)

coxy

Quote from: huskyxp on October 01, 2014, 05:53:54 PM
Up our way (eastern canada) there are still a few that want to work but they head west to work the oil patch if they have any ambition at all! Cant blame them as prob make 80-150 thousand a year to start , forestry is a dying art and wouldn't be half bad if there was money to be made but with price of fuel and machinery then finding stumpage at decent rate there's not much left at weeks end! You really have to love it n be half crazy to stick with it  ::)
i think it should be all the way crazy  :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Maine logger88

Paul_H

Quote from: thecfarm on October 01, 2014, 04:56:20 AM

All ages have their stars and deadbeats. We have had very good luck with young guys we've hired over the years and have a 16 year old here at the shop that could run the place if we had to go away a few days.
We have another young guy(15) that started a few months ago and he will come in after 7 am and work an hour and a half,catch the bus to school then come back at the end of the day and work some more. He's good whether it be helping my son pound fence posts or dusting shelves at the shop.
Lots of good kids out there.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

tj240

my son is 19 in his second year of college and i have to tell him to take a break, he says he likes money and cant get money if you dont work. i work 7 days a week but i like it and my wife would go crazy if i was home. i agree you learn to work by the way you were raised but if you lazy your lazy.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!