iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Bench Collaboration with LogRite Tools.

Started by WDH, September 30, 2014, 08:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I talked with Kevin @neslrite and Tammy @Tamiam of Logrite at the Pig Roast about some benches that I was contemplating.  I wanted to have black steel/iron legs and a wood slab top.  Kevin and Tammy had made Jeff a bench with some Logrite blue legs and a thick white pine top that I really liked.  Some of you have sat on that bench.  We talked about scaling the legs down a bit and going with black legs for a line of porch benches.  Everybody has a porch, right?

After the Pig Roast, we communicated about some design features, and Kevin made a set of legs for me to test out.  Some features of the legs:

-heavy gauge steel tube  (for durability)
-powder coat finish (durable, lasting finish)
-bent to simple natural curve (similar to tree)

Well, I made a bench using a thick pecan slab ( smiley_devil) and the new Logrite legs.  I sculpted the edge to give it character and finished the top with a 50:50 mix of 100% pure tung oil and mineral spirits.  Here is the first one in situ on my back porch.

The way the Kevin made the plate that attaches to the bottom of the bench is perfect since you can add a tapered shim under the plate to make the bench sit perfectly flat.  This pecan slab was not perfectly flat and was 1/4" out of level from one end to the other because one edge had warped up very slightly.  A tapered wedge took care of that.  Each leg attaches with 6 lag bolts, so the whole thing is immensely strong.  I added a middle stretcher for support and because I like the way that it looks.  It also is attached with two lag bolts on each end.  Here is an upside down view showing the attachment of the legs.

Here are a couple of more views.  This bench is very heavy.

The natural black in this pecan at a limb crotch perfectly matches the legs.  Can you imagine how good this would look with a walnut slab with the white sapwood and dark heartwood?  Well, we will know soon  ;D. 

I am excited about the possibilities. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Wow!
  I love the camaraderie that evolves within the forum. Great team work, super craftmenship all around.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WmFritz

I think Kevin nailed your vision, Danny. I think you were spot on with the black color too.

I believe your gonna have slabs flying out of the wood shed.
As long as Kevin can keep kicking out the legs for you.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

tule peak timber

Very nice.... :)Doing something similar here,,,,stay tuned ;D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That bench RIGHT THERE, just put me out of business!

Back to the drawing board.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Red Clay Hound

Danny, are they going to be offering these for sale?  Those would make for a very easy bench build.  I could also envision a taller version for a table.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Mooseherder

hackberry jake

I need to start using more steel in my woodworking. I always like it when I see other people do it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

gfadvm

Danny, Are the holes for the lag bolts elongated to allow for expansion/contraction across the width of that slab?
That is a beautiful bench!

Tam-i-am

Kevin has been working on all different kinds of legs: bench, stool, picnic table and high top table leg.

We are trying to think of a new name for this venture.  he has thought of just bottoms, topless, bare legs, etc I warn you if you search a few of these you might find some sites you didn't intend to go to. ;D  Kev leaning toward legwerks.com

Until he decides and Jeff has time to work on a new site you can see the legs at the Paul bunyan show or I will post pics as new designs are created.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

m wood

i must agree, I wish I COULD work with iron...artistically speaking.  Kevin and Tammy had those bench legs for sale in Booneville in august, but I couldn't find them on the on-line store.  Maybe Danny could lend them some photo liscensing with that nice work he did in Pecan ;D  just sain' :)
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

WmFritz

Here is my Poston bench ( the checks in the mail David ).

I think the WDH/Logrite version looks a lot cleaner and won't rock as much.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

WDH

Quote from: Red Clay Hound on September 30, 2014, 09:39:49 PM
Danny, are they going to be offering these for sale?  Those would make for a very easy bench build.  I could also envision a taller version for a table.

Yes, Tony.  I believe that is the plan.  I am thinking about offering a bench kit.  It would come with the Logrite bench legs and the bolts to attach the legs, and the customer would pick out the slab of their choice and makes their own bench to save money.  Or, I could make it for them for an additional price. 

I believe that Kevin made their kitchen table legs just as you mentioned.  This bench is right at 19" tall.  The legs are 17" tall on their own.  Perfect for sitting on.  You could also make coffee/sofa tables, end tables, etc. by moving the height up to 22" for a 24" tall finished table.  Or, you could go taller for a kitchen/eating table.  There are many possibilities. 

gfadvm,

No, I did not elongate the holes.  You make a good point.  Probably should have. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

WmFritz,

$300  :D :D :D.  Very nice. 

OK, so lets all get creative with some benches.  It is Fall and the time to be sitting out on the porch  ;).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WmFritz on September 30, 2014, 09:59:40 PM

I think the WDH/Logrite version looks a lot cleaner and won't rock as much.  :D :D

Now there's an Idea....a "rocking bench".  :D

WDH

Next time that a bench that I make won't sit level and rocks, I will say that I designed it that way  :D.

David,

With the steel legs, not as easy to put the bench upside down on the sawmill and level the legs.  I knew better than to try that  ::)

One good technique is to use winding sticks.  Place a flat stick across each set of legs, step back and line up the two sticks by sight.  If the sticks are not perfectly parallel, then shim to get them parallel and you are good to go. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hope Tam and Kev will start making and selling legs.
I've looked at a bunch of them on the web and those folks things their legs are made out of gold!

WDH

Quote from: Tamiam on September 30, 2014, 09:56:13 PM
he has thought of just bottoms, topless, bare legs, etc I warn you if you search a few of these you might find some sites you didn't intend to go to. ;D 

There could be some risk in selling legs  :D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 30, 2014, 10:21:31 PM
Quote from: Tamiam on September 30, 2014, 09:56:13 PM
he has thought of just bottoms, topless, bare legs, etc I warn you if you search a few of these you might find some sites you didn't intend to go to. ;D 

There could be some risk in selling legs  :D.

Could cost as much as $300.00.......I was told.  ::)

terrifictimbersllc

This is a great idea. Reminds me of the Conover leg sets for their lathe.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Larry

That bench looks great.

The industrial look seems to be really big these days.  I've been to auctions where junk machines, especially old metal lathes brought huge prices just for the legs.  Shop carts/lumber carts are in the same venue.  Do a google search in images for "industrial table legs" and you will see all kinds of ideas.

I admit to putting tops on all kind of things.  Old treadle sewing machines, and once I got a bunch of street light brackets that were curvy things that worked well.  I sometimes bend legs on my Hossfeld Bender for steel but about 1 1/4" is the limit on tubing.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

RefHawk

Nice job Bro!! Email me your pics. I'll show them to a few folks. Can Kevin and Tammy supply the Logrite legs in white? You know my bride and many other ladies are partial to having things white, though I think the black legs look spectacular!
Colossians 2:7
Woodmizer LT 40,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Those legs can also be dipped to a camo color.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 01, 2014, 04:31:46 PM
Those legs can also be dipped to a camo color.

See, now your using that goat brain.  smiley_idea
The Camo painted legs would look better at the cabin then my ugly log legs.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

WDH

Ref,

White might be the ticket.  I bet that they can do them in white if they get a good enough order.  I will text you some pics.

Poston,

If the legs were camo, then you would not be able to see them and that would make selling them a little tough  ;D. 

Thank You Sponsors!