iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Beaver Has Been Busy Making Lots More Signs For Craft Shows - Pics

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, September 30, 2014, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

The fall craft shows are just around the corner. In fact we have a huge 2 day event called the Kendallville Applefest this coming weekend. Over 70,000 come to this event every year.

Mrs. Beaver has almost $5000 worth of wood turned items to sell and I have made over 60 cutting boards and well over 100 routed wood signs in the past two weeks.

We sell the signs at this show at the wholesale price of $10 each to try to attract potential store owners and other crafters that want to buy them and resell them at shows they work or in their stores. We would rather not work the shows, but instead stay home and run the equipment. Little by little, that business plan is coming together as we now have about a dozen retailers that carry our signs for resale at the retail level. I would be happy when we can sell 150 to 200 signs per week. We are getting closer to that goal every day.

Anyway, here is a sample of this weeks output. Have 5 more boxes of them in the truck already.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

hackberry jake

Boy, you have been busy! I assume you use something like the 60 degree v-bit that I use a lot. How long do your bits last in cedar? I am still on my first v-bit other than some engraving v-bits and it is about too dull to use. I need to find another one.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Leigh Family Farm

Do you give the signs a light sanding to remove the excess black spray? Or does it wipe off? I remember you mentioned in another thread what kind you use but I can't remember how you got rid of the over spray.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

hackberry jake

I believe it is a spray-ink. I dont remember if he sands or planes off the overspray. I need to try the spray ink method. I have been using the cutting torch turned way down to burn in the letters and then plane off the top layer. I really like the look of burnt letters because they aren't exact. Some letters naturally get burnt more than others and it looks pretty neat imo.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 01, 2014, 03:53:28 AM
Boy, you have been busy! I assume you use something like the 60 degree v-bit that I use a lot. How long do your bits last in cedar? I am still on my first v-bit other than some engraving v-bits and it is about too dull to use. I need to find another one.

I get a few hundred signs out of a single bit. That is one of the real nice things about cedar is that it mills easy. I use the Whiteside carbide 60 degree bits for the signs. Like them a lot and you can get them for about $15 or less.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Busy Beaver Lumber

Kilgrosh

Here are steps:

1. Route
2. Lightly sand face with sponge sanding block to get rid of any burs
3. Blow out routed areas with compressor
4. Spray routed areas with Marsh spray ink ( comes in about 8 colors ) Dries very fast and will not wick into surrounding wood and cause blurry edges
5. Sand off face with 80 grit to remove majority of ink. I make a lot of these signs and Mrs. Beaver bought me a jet conveyor belt fed drum sander which makes it a breeze to sand them quick, but a cheap hand held belt sander would do the jobs just fine for small scale production
6. Finish sand with 120 grit using random  orbit sander
7.  Blow out routed areas with compressor
8. Apply finish coats
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

yukon cornelius

that's a lot of signs! and what a great price! we make a few here and there but I freehand them. I did buy a pantograph but I haven't really done much with it.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

m wood

excellent business plan BBL.  I have spent this summer researching and developing a new business concept that incorporates a smaller product line with greater production being the focus...shop size has dictated :).  Pictures and explanations forthcoming.  Yours seems to be developing QUITE NICELY.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!