iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a long drive and a dream come true

Started by mikeb1079, September 29, 2014, 11:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

i was poking around craigslist the other night (always dangerous) and i spied what i felt was a really really good deal on an hydraulic mill.  luckily i was able to get ahold of the seller and it was still for sale.  sweet!! the only problem is that i live 8hrs away.  well now the gears are turning so i spent most of the day saturday trying to get my ducks in a row so to speak.  then i begged borrowed and stole enough $ to pay for the mill, had a serious discussion with the wife, in which i thought she was going to divorce me on the spot (it's fine now  :))  and set out sunday morning at 4am. 

up through green bay, then east through the u.p. to the big lake:

over the mackinaw brigde (which is amazing btw) and down through mainland michigan to a little town called atlanta....
after 8 hours of driving i was REALLY hoping to see the mill in decent shape and to hear the motor run.....and i wasn't disappointed.

a 99 woodmizer super hydraulic with the 42hp kubota.   8) :) 8) :) 8)
hydraulic everything and came with the lapsider attachment and a ton of lightly used bands.  now keep in mind i'm coming from running my homemade mill with a 16hp motor w/manual everything.  this is gonna be fun.

grab some lunch and head out for a long drive home, nervous that the mill wouldn't make it or i'd brake down etc....

chasing the sun

about an hour after this pic i glanced down to change the radion station, looked up and POW i ran head first at 60mph into a yearling doe.  scared the fugde outta me.  luckily (for me) the doe was small and hit right on the bumper....there wasn't a thing i could do, it happened very fast.  bumper is dented heavily and the grill is cracked but i was able to drive home which was very relieving.  the deer was killed instantly and thrown about 20' off the side of the road.  i felt terrible but at least it didn't suffer much.....

anyways......the mill needs a thorough going over as it's been sitting for a little bit (but under a roof thankfully) but looks really solid.  i plan to take my time over the next few weeks and slowly go through all the maintenence stuff in the manual and familiarize myself with the mill.  then it's milling time!!   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

thanks for riding along on my journey

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ocklawahaboy

Congrats on the mill.  Didn't know you could make it from the U.P. To Atlanta on 8hrs

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Congratulations!!!  Call WM with the S/N and get registered.  Did it come with the manuals?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Congrats on the mill. That Kabota is a good engine on that mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

New Brunswick

Congrats and thanks for taking us on your journey.  move_it

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dgdrls

That is a dandy find,  congratulations.
You will be amazed at how effortlessly that Kubota
pulls through a cut and the fuel savings

Sorry about your little mishap on the way home.

Best
DGDrls

goose63

Thanks for the trip sorry to hear bought the deer congrats on the new to you mill happy sawing 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WoodenHead

That is an awesome find.   :)  I think you'll really enjoy the steps up from a gas/manual mill to the diesel/hydraulics.  Congrats!   8)

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

al glenn

barbender

Good score, Mike! I had the same journey, I went from a homemade mill to a 97 super. Many people feel (myself included) that the Kubota was the best engine to ever sit on a WM ;)
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bricklayer51

A great find. To bad about the deer could have been worse you were at the elk capitol of mi.

YellowHammer

Congrats. sounds like you got a good one.  Be careful,
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DeerMeadowFarm

Thanks for sharing! Someday I hope to post my mill buying adventure here as well!

backwoods sawyer

42 hp kabota ;D can't wait to hear about making sawdust, you will like it  8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Tree Dan

Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

LaneC

Congrats on the mill. I hope you enjoy it. As far as the deer, it will not go to waste so don't feel too bad. A lot of different things will eat it. Be safe with your mill and congrats again.
Man makes plans and God smiles

mikeb1079

thanks for all the positive messages fellas!  it's really fun to come on here and share this kinda stuff with other sawmill enthusiasts.   :) 

i wasn't really looking for a "super" as they were always out of my price range (by quite a lot usually) but the seller needed quick cash i guess....and i was happy to be in the right place at the right time.   8) 8)

QuoteCall WM with the S/N and get registered.  Did it come with the manuals?

i will definitely register it with wm.  and yes it came with all the manuals which is really nice as i have no experience with a mill like this.  gonna perform as many maintenence tasks as i can before i even attempt to saw a log....i'd rather wait a little bit then break something.   :D
homebuilt 16hp mill

flatrock58

I just bought my first sawmill last month, which is a 2001 WM lt40 Super with the Kubota.  I got the resaw, CBN sharpener, single tooth setter, 6' extension and the seat.  Came with 25 rusty blades. I almost bought a manual LT30 but my wife made me wait to get a hydraulic mill since I have some back problems.   I finally got everything working and have been sawing some this week.  Broke my first one yesterday.

I hope you enjoy your new toy.  I have been impressed with Woodmizer in Newnan, Ga.  They have been very helpful and once you are registered you can look up parts and track you purchases.

Steve
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Delawhere Jack

Congrats Mike! A 40 Super, got to admit I'm a bit jealous. Moving up from a manual mill, you'll be smiling ear to ear first time you turn a big log with the flick of a lever.  ;)

As PostonLT40 advised when I got my mill, read the manuals, take the covers off the various parts of the mill and get familiar with it. It's a pretty amazing piece of engineering, but not really that complicated once you see how all the part work.

Happy Milling!

mikeb1079

good advice all around fellas, thanks again.  as excited as i am to mill some logs i'm going to slowly go through the mill with manual in hand to familiarize myself with all the functions.  speed will come with time.   :laugh:

dj:  i am sooo looking forward to turning a large log with the flick of a lever!!   super-smiley
homebuilt 16hp mill

backwoods sawyer

just don't flick it the wrong way at the wrong time, big logs land on the ground that way ::) ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!