iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why do the parts places have to stick it to us?

Started by Woodhauler, September 29, 2014, 08:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Had a certain dealer order two cushioning valves for my loader, 184 bucks total! Just looked them up online, 50  bucks each! >:(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Jhenderson

Depends. Were the online valves OEM or aftermarket? Also, 3rd party suppliers charge often charge 100% over list on name brand parts, as in the equipment mfg selling a Vickers or Greesen  valve.

goose63

The parts dealer is gonna cry over head I tell them to go to :-X ----- then order it on line
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Napoleon1

I ordered a 18 inch bolt/pin 3/4 diameter from cat I knew it was going to be high. I thought  fifty or sixty dollars. WRONG! 239 dollars really!

redprospector

Local parts store charged me $7.50 a foot for 1/2" Gates 2 wire hydraulic hose, plus the ends.  :o
A couple of days later I went to our "big city" and bought another identical hose for $3.89 a foot, and the ends were 1/2 price.
Local guy says; "Well, it's got to be worth my while or I won't mess with it". I just shook my head and said; "yeah, me too".
I'm thinking of buying my own hose press right now.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Maine logger88

Because they can if they got it and we need it then the savings of waiting till it ships too us costs more than just paying for it and getting it now. But I completely understand what you are saying
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lopet

It sure would be handy to have your own hose press but still hard to justify . To me it would be one of those "wanna have tings ". no matter what it costs. ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: redprospector on September 29, 2014, 09:28:59 PM
Local parts store charged me $7.50 a foot for 1/2" Gates 2 wire hydraulic hose, plus the ends.  :o
A couple of days later I went to our "big city" and bought another identical hose for $3.89 a foot, and the ends were 1/2 price.
Local guy says; "Well, it's got to be worth my while or I won't mess with it". I just shook my head and said; "yeah, me too".
I'm thinking of buying my own hose press right now.
AMEN. Im almost at that point, and the hose place in Albany will even sell me everything. Problem is having the ends on hand. I figure a good set up, plus the machine and dies is 7-10k.  :o

Decked

Just wait till you need a ring/pinion for a JD rear end ::) ::)

redprospector

Quote from: BargeMonkey on September 29, 2014, 10:21:42 PM

AMEN. Im almost at that point, and the hose place in Albany will even sell me everything. Problem is having the ends on hand. I figure a good set up, plus the machine and dies is 7-10k.  :o

I'm figuring up what I spent on hydraulic hoses over the last couple of years. It's looking like owning my own may be a viable option.
My last hose purchase was for my little gooseneck mounted log loader. 30' of 3/8" 2 wire hose, but the fittings were British Standard. >:( Parts place claimed to have ordered the fittings, after a week of down time they gave me the run around and then didn't call me back.
I got on the phone and chased some down, jumped in the pickup for a 3 hour trip and was back to work the next morning. Parts guy called the other day and wanted to know when I was going to pick up my hose.  :D The conversation got course.
I'm going to order enough adapters to convert it from British Standard to JIC. Put them in as I replace hoses. I figure that a lot of my equipment could be adapted to kind of standardize to cut down on the fitting inventory some.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

BargeMonkey

Our powerscreen 600 track screener is 5yrs old now and starting to have some hose issues, you wouldnt believe how light and cheap the hoses are on it. Had to have a 3/8 equivalent about 30' with ends made a while ago for around 400 bucks. Thats 1 of 5 hoses going to that end. Morradian in albany will make me a package, but like everything else just when you think your ahead you go back 2 steps.
We try and beat the parts guy, unless we are in a pinch I will lay a machine up and hunt the parts down, the internet is a beautiful thing.

thenorthman

All this talk of 500 dollar hoses make me think I'm either spoiled or the parts guys think I'm cute...

I think the most expensive one I've bought was for the back hoe 10' at like $50 3/4 dia or so.  Most of the time the saw shop here in town can make em (unless its got a funny end) and the most I've paid there was like $30. Bonus is they are open on Sundays.

I did spend $275 on a swivel fitting for the backhoe awhile back but that was a dealer only item.
well that didn't work

pineywoods

I do things a little different for hoses. I keep a few spare hoses all with pipe thread ends and multiples of 2 foot lengths. Adapters from pipe thread to most of the common types are readily available from surplus center. I keep at least 2 of my common types on hand. Need a 10 ft hose? A 6 and a 4 plus a pipe coupler works just fine. One reason hoses are so expensive, is the shop has to keep a whole bunch of different type ends in stock. Inventory costs money.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Autocar

Pineywoods has the right idea I carry extra hose in my Autocar and can build about anything I need. Everything a fellow buys now a days is crazy priced, oils and filters blows my mind  ???
Bill

Ken

Many of the local dealers will give you a hose making machine if you buy x amount of hoses and fittings/year from them.  I don't save a bunch of money on the hoses and fittings but having the ability to make my own at the shop without the trip to town is priceless.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

ScottAR

Same here on standardizing.  My backhoe is pretty well all JIC already but the tractor is all sorts of things.  I adapt it to JIC too as that's probably the most common thing around and easy to use. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

coxy

my dad had about 20-30 of those sky fittings think that's what there called if you  had enough hose you cut it and screwed the end on and the way you go 

lopet

I don't think they still make them just for the only reason that you can't fix them your self and have to relay on a shop. :( :(
Used to fix a lot of hoses that way.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Its not even just hoses, its any parts you order. No one carrys anything, even simple stuff is hard to find, ive gotta call 3-4 different places anymore. About 5 years ago the company i worked for sent a bunch of equipment to Africa, loaded the barges up with every detroit they had. I bet there was 250 cases of fuel and oil filters, and what didnt fit went in the dumpster.  :o 

luvmexfood

Yep. Go to any chain parts store and if they don't have it which applies for most items they will tell you they can have it tommorow by noon.

I know it's not the employee's fault but if I'me dealing with a manager I usually tell them. "If I wanted it tomorow I would come tommorow". Guess I am getting cranky in my old age.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Kodiakmac

Holy Mackerel!  And here I was thinking that parts south of the border were cheap compared to the gouging we get up here!   ;D
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Thank You Sponsors!