iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got It Narrowed Down To These 2 Mills

Started by Tree Dan, September 29, 2014, 06:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Dan

Norwood HD36 or the Woodmizer LT35HD
I like the Norwood for operating on the right hand side.
away from the dust.
I think I like the frame on the Woodmizer a bit more than the Norwood.
Im not sure on this but I think the Woodmizer is a lot easier to put together.
To me they look to be about the same size machine...what do you think?
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

woodmills1

I am pretty sure the woodmizer comes assembled.

I am on my second orange, I sold the first with over three thousand hours on it for what I paid for it with a few hundred hours.  It treated me well, the newer one treats me well, and the company treates me well.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tree Dan

That's good news if they do come put together.
I don't like the idea of spending 2 days to put a mill together, even though I like the HD36
would these 2 mill be considered to be in about the same bracket, if you know what I mean?
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Hale87

I don't think those two mills are comparable. The WM is built a lot heavier than the Norwood seems to be? There's a reason why there's more WM mill owners on here than any other brand. You read long enough and you'll start to figure out why.  Good luck with your new mill. It's exciting regardless of which mill you purchase.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Dave Shepard

LT35 is fully assembled. Start it up and saw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tree Dan

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 29, 2014, 08:35:41 PM
Wow I like that part.
I have been looking up in this neck of the woods for a used LT35 or the LT40.
There only 1 lt40 and its a 1997 a bit too old.
Woodmizers sale is preaty tempting on that HD35

Chuck White

Quote from: Tree Dan on September 29, 2014, 08:57:51 PM
Wow I like that part.

If it's an older model '97, it will still accept most of the upgrades, like Accuset for instance!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brad_S.

There is a lot to be said about spending time assembling the mill...you get to know it inside and out. You understand all the parts and how they work together making troubleshooting easier down the road.
Just because the majority of people own a certain brand does not mean it is the best. Think Beta vs. VCR. Think MAC vs. IBM. Think the emperors new clothes. ::)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tree Dan

Quote from: Chuck White on September 30, 2014, 07:15:16 AM
Wow I like that part.

If it's an older model '97, it will still accept most of the upgrades, like Accuset for instance!

I just looked again at the lt40 It's a 96 ::)
The 35hd will suit me just fine, but if I find a orange 40 for a good price I will be all over it

Tree Dan

I need some advice on this one.
I can save near $10,000 by getting the LT35 instead of the 35HD.
The log deck pkg will still alow me to move the log around and get it lined up for cutting, maybe a bit slower...I don't need high production.

I have 2 skid steers with forks for loading.
The price for the hyd 35 is tough to pull the trigger on,
but the manual still has auto feed, up and down, plus super set included. 8)
I will still be portable....what do you think?
By the way sawing is a side job for me.

Thanks.
Dan

millwright

The log loader is only a small part. The turner, clamp and toe boards are worth the money

dgdrls

Quote from: Tree Dan on October 01, 2014, 09:57:55 AM
The log deck pkg will still alow me to move the log around and get it lined up for cutting, maybe a bit slower...I don't need high production.

Thanks.
Dan

Perhaps you want to go back around and recheck your decision process on the two mills
you boiled your decision down to?

Question how did you arrive at a 10K difference?  Base lt35 is listed at $15,200 and LT35 Hyd, is $19,500.

Just curious.

Best
DGDrls

Nomad

Tree Dan, I bet you're getting old enough that passing on the hydraulics will bite you in the long run.  (Speaking from experience, I might add.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Tree Dan

Quote from: dgdrls on October 01, 2014, 06:03:20 PM
Quote from: Tree Dan on October 01, 2014, 09:57:55 AM

Thanks.
Dan

Perhaps you want to go back around and recheck your decision process on the two mills
you boiled your decision down to?

Question how did you arrive at a 10K difference?  Base lt35 is listed at $15,200 and LT35 Hyd, is $19,500.

Just curious.

Best
DGDrls

Yes Its the lt35 or the lt35hd
There is $6000 plus difference
This is the Canada wm site that Im looking at
If I could get that lt35hd for that price (US) it would be a done deal.

hackberry jake

I am a lot better at fixing things that aren't electrical. I would go for the mill that had less electronics and I would also look at what brand engines are available. Im kindof a honda guy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Wow I like that part.

Sorry guys, I just caught this error, I meant to say the newest '97 models will accept most of the upgrades!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Robert Owens

You could also check out Cooks saw mills. The frame is 3x6 tubing and is very stout. I was able to customize mine when I ordered it. It took a few months for them to build it but well worth the wait. I love the mill. Just my 2 cents worth.

barbender

I think l the Norwood mills are a quality product, but I sure wouldn't want to have to assemble my new mill. If you're into that sort of thing, by all means go for it. You will get intimately aquainted with your mills construction, adjustments, and maintainence just in the normal course of sawing, however,  without putting together. I would also say sawing is much more enjoyable for me with hydraulics.
Too many irons in the fire

hunz

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 01, 2014, 08:43:02 PM
I am a lot better at fixing things that aren't electrical. I would go for the mill that had less electronics and I would also look at what brand engines are available. Im kindof a honda guy.

Says the Einstein who fabricated his own set works system for his mill.  ;D. If electrical is where you get troubled, I have lost all hope for becoming much of a mechanic myself  :D
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

dgdrls

TD,

Have you considered any other Canadian built
mills other than the Norwood?
You might find some cost savings
with equal or better features

DGDrls

Tree Dan

The only mills that are near my area are Norwood and Woodmizer.
Not sure where Cooks are.
Woodmizers is about a 3 hr drive...so I will save on delivery :new_year:
Plus they seem like good guys to deal with.
I may need to sell my old dodge truck that Im not using any more
to get the hyd model.
A big thing is resale the lt35hd would not take long to sell because there very few of them out there used.
For what I would use the mill for at this time I think the manual would be ok, but what happens if I pick up some saw jobs :)

CaptainBob

You might want to go to the specific FF forums for WM & NW to get better idea  on what kind of chatter is going on about the two vendors.

one thing that set me on WM, is the number of units in the field - i read somewhere that WM has ~40K units..

But Your decision on which vendor you pick can only be justified by your needs.

whatever works best for you, probably doesn't work for the next guy....but you have done the right thing to educate yourself and ask questions on FF.

my $.02

barbender

When you are talking manual stationary mills, such as the LT15, there are a lot of mills that are comparable in quality and features. It's when you go mobile that the WM LT40 frame that is shared by every mill from the LT28 to the LT40 really starts to shine, IMO.
Too many irons in the fire

blade69001

Wait, the 50 and 70 have a different frames?
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Tree Dan

I hear good about NW and WM but wm has me sold on there heavy frame, superset and I don't need to put the saw together...I have built enough equipment in my time...I want to saw! ;D
Theres only 1 other mill in town and its a lt15...no mobiles around.
Got my eye back on the 35 HD

Thank You Sponsors!