iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying used tires

Started by Woodboogah, September 29, 2014, 06:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

The time has come where i need at least two tires.  I am looking at used because I cannot swing it for two new ones.  I cant really seem to think of any flaws in buying used ones, maybe I am way off here?  Is it more cost effective to buy tires already mounted on rims?  I have never mounted a tire on a skidder rim and wouldnt even know where to begin besides let the air out of the tube.  Last time i had a tube replaced on the landing it was just under 700 so I figure it cant be that far off from having a tire take off and one remounted.  This is my first go around at this and just looking for some what not to do advice.  I know this would be place to get some plus good stories.  Thanks as always!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

BargeMonkey

700 on just 1 tube ?  I did a patch, and firestone forestry tube in a 24.5x32 a few months  ago. 500 counting the service call. What size tires do you have ? Breaking them off the bead is really the hardest part, ive seen dozer blades, excavator buckets, it can be done. Just make sure you check the rim real good when you have the tire off, hate to wipe out a new tube over preventable rust. I dont know about the older jack wheels, but the guy hates doing my D or any of the older deeres, something about the dish on the rim on the inside, uses a hydraulic breaker and has to fight with it quite a bit. If you look around you can find real decent tires, call the dealers out in the U.P of MI, "lakeshore, delich, lutke", I always see tires advertised. No luck @ nash ?

treeslayer2003

yes used if you can find them........i will use 12+ ply combine tires as well.
if you want to do the work.......you will need two [at least] long tire irons, a way to break the bead[ grapple works good] and a strong friend if you can find one.
caution, be careful breaking the bead, loader grapples do not care if they puncture tires.
remember to pry the bead down in the drop in the wheel and then pry the other side up over the rim.....you will notice the off side you are holding down goes up in that drop when you pry the near side off......much easyer this way. two of my skidders have the drop inside so i remove the wheel and lay it down drop side up.

treeslayer2003

hit the scrap yards as well, you may find some on wheels that fit.......i have done it.

Maine logger88

The last 23.1 I had done on the job cost me 300 including a tube if I can remember right. Usually I just do them myself tho I break them down with the loader then use two long tire bars and go for it.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Woodboogah

I have really nothing other then the skidder on site.  I guess I could always wait for a load logs to get picked up and have the driver break the bead with the grapple?  The guy who did my tube let me know he really disliked doing skidder tires.  The tube alone was 250.  For a natural rubber tube not a ag tube.  I dont like doing business with nash, had some bad experiences.  May give them a call to check prices and availability.  Just dislike doing business with them. 

Maine logger88

The natural rubber tubes are well worth the extra money. I wouldn't buy any of the vulcanized tires off Nash I have heard they don't hold up very well

BargeMonkey

315-429-9898  and ask for Dick. He does sell tires, but chances are good he might know someone who has some used tires. That would be my first step. Its a ride for you but you never know.

thenorthman

As far as used tires for skidders can't help ya much there, most of the places that sell them are just to far away to make it worth while for me...

But when it comes to breaking them down and swapping em out, its really not so bad, just heavy...

If you running fluid then ya pretty much have to have a service truck do it or take them in, I've taken mine in before and its usually only a hundred bucks or so with a new tube, the trip is what ends up costing a guy.

To break the bead you can use a farm jack or an old style bumper jack, just get the foot cozy with the edge of the wheel, not over but not so far away as to just slip off, jack away, once it starts to slip a bit you can usually stomp it off the rest of the way, then the fun part, flip it over and repeat.

once you have both sides broke you need to figure out which side has the short flat or the smaller diameter of the wheel sides, and work the tire off of that side first, basically the same as a bicycle tire, get a chunk up and over then work your way around till it pops off, large tire irons are nice but a decent size crow bar with some rounded ends works nearly as well. Just take yer time and don't pinch the tube.

putting the new one on is mosty the reverse of taking one off, the fun part is setting the bead... which isn't so bad with a tube in em, at least you don't have to smack it around and lean on it trying to get it to seal so the air can do its job.

For safeties sake and somewhat for your own sanity its probably a good idea to have one other strong back around to help with the lifting of said tire and to give you a hard time and chain smoke while you sweat and puff...

enjoy!
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

definetly go with the natural rubber.

northy i'd love to have you around to help wrestle these 28s lol.........least i don't have 34s no more.

BargeMonkey

Finding the guys to change them is the thing, my guy isnt a fan of 24.5's. We looked at a 95Z kawasaki loader with 29.5 tires, he flat out refused, tires and the service call where about 8k a tire.

Decked

I remember in '84, I got a surplus(??) of $$...I bought 4- 23.1X26 ( firestone forestry specials) tires & tubes from Lyons Equipment...$3600 INSTALLED. We were getting $75/M cut & skid then. I don't think things($$$) have stayed in proportion..

Maine logger88

Can't even find 50% 23.1s for that now even 6k for new wouldnt be bad but 10k is ridiculous

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Decked on September 29, 2014, 10:50:11 PM
I remember in '84, I got a surplus(??) of $$...I bought 4- 23.1X26 ( firestone forestry specials) tires & tubes from Lyons Equipment...$3600 INSTALLED. We were getting $75/M cut & skid then. I don't think things($$$) have stayed in proportion..
lol, ya think..........oh but the loggers are getting rich.........sure we are.. i know we got less then but look at how cheap fuel was..........70cents? i can't remember exactly but was nothing compared to now.

nhlogga

Quote from: Woodboogah on September 29, 2014, 06:51:12 PM
The time has come where i need at least two tires.  I am looking at used because I cannot swing it for two new ones.  I cant really seem to think of any flaws in buying used ones, maybe I am way off here?  Is it more cost effective to buy tires already mounted on rims?  I have never mounted a tire on a skidder rim and wouldnt even know where to begin besides let the air out of the tube.  Last time i had a tube replaced on the landing it was just under 700 so I figure it cant be that far off from having a tire take off and one remounted.  This is my first go around at this and just looking for some what not to do advice.  I know this would be place to get some plus good stories.  Thanks as always!

Have ya tried Northern Tire in Colebrook?
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

timberlinetree

We use to pour coca-cola(pop) on the bead to help break it. Seemed like it helped.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Woodboogah

Thanks Northman for the steps.  I will probably give it a go with my old man (he's a big rugged guy) he was around heavy equipment for 42 years so I am sure he will have some insight, hopefully.  I will give Northern tire a call.  Its a haul to get up there but may be worth it for the right price.  Just want to get it done before the cold.  That would not be fun doing in the winter.

OntarioAl

Woodboogah
I use a block of wood and the blade ( weight of the skidder) to break the bead on my 18.4 x 34 Forestry Specials. To do this your machine needs to be mobile if not you need a second machine (farm tractor with loader) to lift, position and turn the tire over.
Breaking the bead is the hard part the rest is just plain hard work provided you have several long pry bars.
hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

BargeMonkey

With skidder tires and tubes once you can get them barred over and on, youve got the grunt work done. Just make sure your rim is clean. You want excitement, we have done alot of backhoe and skid steer tires in the cold, ether and a torch will set a tire but watch out.  :D

ehp

or what I have used for years on breaking the bead , use the cherry picker on the log truck , just slide the tire under the stabilizer leg and push down with the leg, that works very well at getting the bead broke , Have changed alot of tires but in my golden years I donot look forward to this job . I found the bigger the tire the harder it is to do , the difference between a 24.5 by 32 to a 30.5 by 32 was huge and the price on tires today is just plain crazy

Stephen Alford

All good advice, just a couple thoughts, I use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the rim.  Be sure to clean the rim exterior as well because the dirt and stuff falls in when trying to mount tire .  I find a hand pumper helps wash off the dirt. The 12" spoon and two long ones work well. The short one works to put the tire on the rim.  I only have access to domestic products so I use dish soap to help break the bead and vasciline on the rim and tire to put on. A shovel and hammer will likely be helpfull.  Be carefull if it is a front wheel and you are using the blade to jack . Mine at least leaks off and you have to be quick. On the back, sliding off a bottle jack has happened.  When you put it on, have the valve stem at the bottom. Start at the top and do by the valve stem area last. You will need a couple of rounded visegrips to keep the tire on as you work arond the rim. Check for pinching.  Make sure the tube is facing the right way . The valve stem lock  pull thingie will keep you from doing a dance with the devil if you see the stem disappear as you add air.  Just trying to help.   :)

logon

treeslayer2003

whats the shovel for? you guys run skinny rubber lol..........not pickin, its just that i wish i did when it comes time to wrestle a tire.

SliverPicker

Just had one of my 18.4 X 34s stopped up.  The tire tech told me he had been repairing tires for 37 years and mine was the first  tire of that size he had ever seen. Good luck finding a used set around here!
Yooper by trade.

Maine logger88

Really 18.4x34 are real common around here it's the 23.1x26 that's hard to come by. Bunch of 16.9x30 and 18.4x26 too

thenorthman

Think your could stuff a couple of 18.4x26's in one of them fed ex boxs and ship em out here?

I'd take 30% or better, as long as the holes are less then an inch long... :D

sadly I'm only have joking...
well that didn't work

Maine logger88

Hahaha. All jokes aside I have one 23.1 on my 540 with a big ole hole in it that I bolted a thick piece of rubber in it has worked out decent so far knock on wood

thenorthman

I have a gash about 4" long on one of my fronts, can see the tube in one spot where the boot didn't stick so well the last time I shoved a stick through it.

I figure the next time I get a flat I'll sew it up as best I can and hope for the best, the rears are nearly bald, and I just poked the felling dogs of my saw through the sidewall of one of em...
well that didn't work

GRANITEstateMP

Woodboogah, have you ever tried GCR, I think they are out of Concord.  My In-Laws use them for farm tires, and truck tires.  If we can we drop them off, but more than once they've brought the service rig by, just a bigger bill in the end...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Maine logger88

This is the tire I bolted a patch too I'll see how long it lasts

lumbertick

Use the down rigger leg on the log truck to break the bead.. Works good

snowstorm

i watched a guy once mount a tractor tire. he put the tube in the wrong way when he blew it up the stem went inside. so there it was with air in the tube and no way to get it out. .......he drilled a hole in the tire.....air came out

BargeMonkey

Quote from: snowstorm on October 01, 2014, 08:35:13 PM
i watched a guy once mount a tractor tire. he put the tube in the wrong way when he blew it up the stem went inside. so there it was with air in the tube and no way to get it out. .......he drilled a hole in the tire.....air came out
I went to mount a front tire back on, on our backhoe, cold and I couldnt get the bead to seat. Out comes the ether can and torch. Locked the air on the tire, filled the tire with a few liberal shots of ether and cracked the torch on, well when she popped she went. Caught the torch tip inside the bead and caught the tire on fire. You wanna talk about scramble.  :D

lopet

Now that's almost funny if it wouldn't be funny  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!