iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2004 ASV RC100 Upgrate

Started by Climber, September 28, 2014, 03:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Climber

After so many years of drulling I finally got ASV RC100.
Today it is run under Terex PT100.
As attachment I got this power hungry "Forestry Mulching" head. Made by Fecon. The model is BH72SS.
I'd like to pull bit more Hp of current engine. I think it is possible.
Any ideas?
Engine is 1104C-44T also known as Cat C4.4. Turbo version, no intercooller.
See attachments for reference.

beenthere

Going in the mulching business?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

I think that engine is being pushed pretty hard at 100hp already.
Too many irons in the fire

redprospector

I've got an old ASV 4810, or at least I've got pieces of it.  :D
I'd have to look at some of the paperwork to see exactly what engine it had, but I know that it was rated up to 122 horse power. ASV tuned it down to 105 horse power, which I think was a good move. These machines run on the edge in the best of circumstances when mulching, turn it up and you'll be sitting cooling down instead of working. You'll also find that your torque peak is not going to increase enough to really be worth the risk, and effort. If you want more power, get a bigger machine.
My qualifications to give this advice?
I have owned and operated a 2001 ASV 4810 with a Gyro-trac 500H head, a 2011 Terex PT-100G with a Tushogg head, I currently own and operate a 2006 Fecon FTX 90 with a BH72SS, and a 2008 Bobcat T320 with the Tushogg head that was on the Terex.
The machines that I'm currently mulching with are both less than 100 horse power, you just need to have finesse.
I'm not a big fan of Terex, but they make a machine over 100 hp. now. I would recommend looking into a Fecon 148L though for a more powerful machine.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Climber

Q: Going in the mulching business?
A: not really, I just want to cut my cleaning time after removal of 10 and more trees. Last time after "expending back yard" project we spend 2 days with 4 guys to rake, chip, dispose ... clean up.
Next time I rent ASV with Fecon, 2 hours and we went home. Also looks better.

barbender: I think that engine is being pushed pretty hard at 100hp already.
ME: Not really, Same block but different setup (intercooller) called 1104C-44TA is rated 130Hp

redprospector: I've got an old ASV 4810, or at least I've got pieces of it.  :D
ME:  :D :D

redprospector: I'd have to look at some of the paperwork to see exactly what engine it had, but I know that it was rated up to 122 horse power. ASV tuned it down to 105 horse power, which I think was a good move. These machines run on the edge in the best of circumstances when mulching, turn it up and you'll be sitting cooling down instead of working.
ME: I was considering to add "Side-by-side" Intercooler / aux radiator / aux hydraulic cooler.

redprospector:  You'll also find that your torque peak is not going to increase enough to really be worth the risk, and effort.
ME: Excellent point! I need to see if I can change it.

redprospector: If you want more power, get a bigger machine.
ME: I will lose most important think - versatility of CTL

redprospector: 2011 Terex PT-100G with a Tushogg head,
ME: Per dealer anvise: never get PT-100G. G - is very bad design flow. He sad get PT-100F or 110F.

redprospector: I currently own and operate a 2006 Fecon FTX 90 with a BH72SS,
ME: as a dedicated mulching operation Fecon FTX90 is superior, but not as robust as ASV for malty tasking.

redprospector: Fecon 148L though for a more powerful machine.
ME: If my primary business was mulching I'd go for setup with 300-500 hp. But it is not.

My jobs are on nice lawns or behind one. Same machine uses different attachments and perform different tasks. I don't want to go into mulching business, this is why I'd like to stick with what I have and not move into bigger setup. Just a bit punch for bit money. Ideally get Terex PT110F will do, but I have not much work (and not interesting to get more) for head to justify $100K.

redprospector

I haven't messed with ASV/Terex machines since I got rid of my last one in 2011, so my memory isn't fresh. But from what I remember, I don't know where you're going to put an intercooler, auxiliary radiator, and auxiliary oil cooler on that machine. But it sounds like you've got it figured out.
Good luck with it.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!