iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-Classic 2400 Solenoid problem

Started by EricDeVries, September 28, 2014, 01:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricDeVries

Hi Everyone

Got a problem with firing up my E-Classic 2400 for the season after a thorough cleaning. Cleaned the primary and secondary elbows and air flow ways as i did the last 2 years. During start-up the temperature in the secondary burning chamber did not go up much. So i checked the solenoid functioning. Using the diagnostic function i checked the solenoid operation. All three solenoids (primary + secondary high + secondary low) lifted in a certain sequence and the air fan works good. During firing however only the primary solenoid is activated, so only primary air is let in. The secondary air flow is not opened. Repeated the diagnostics a few times and the secondary high and low solenoid are both functioning during the test. Reset the firestar controller to factory default. No change. Then i put a paperclip in the secondary air flow valve to keep it open. The temperature in the secondary chamber is climbing rapidly now as to be expected, but it obviously now it will not be regulated. Anybody got an idea what is going on here?

garret

I'm a new owner of a EC2400 and have operated for only 3 weeks.  Thought I would test in less than optimal conditions of "shoulder season".  So far, unit work flawlessly.  I think I have a pretty good understanding of how these things work despite my brief pilot-in-command time when combined with info gleaned here on FF. 

During normal burn cycle (call for heat, or after opening door and closing and below set point), the secondary does not open until reaction chamber temperature reaches exactly 550 F.  Likewise, high burn solenoid does not open until reaching exactly 750 F.  If while running diagnostic in Firestar II, all three solenoids operated properly, one might predict that something is wrong with the thermocouple in RC.  Although, you did mention that temperature climbs when afforded air by propping open secondary air with paperclip.  If low secondary and high secondary refuse to open even after reaching 550 F/750 F (provided water temperature has not yet reached set point), then I would be leaning toward something being wrong with Firestar II controller, despite it having passed diagnostic.  You may also want to check the door switch.
E-Classic 2400 comfortably heating 4,200 sq.ft. and unlimited DHW, Off-grid, Photovoltaic-powered pumps in gloomy SW PA , 34 t splitter, numerous Husky chainsaws

don leclair

Hello   As an owner of a E-2400 for 3 years, I have had to figure out and received much advice on the operation of my boiler.  I had the same problem with my boiler, and after testing by CB tech staff, the controller was the culprit.  Easy to change  Good Luck

thecfarm

Two new members,EricDeVries and don leclair. Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sam-tip

I had something similar after a cleaning.  I bumped/push the thermocouple into the boiler and it would only read the boiler temp.  It might just need pulled back into the burn chamber.  The thermocouple measures the temperature at the end of the thermocouple.  It should be sticking out about an 1.5 inches.  There is nothing holding the thermocouple in place.  It is easy to bump the thermocouple while cleaning.  Took me a few days to figure this one out.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

EricDeVries

Hi Everybody

Thanks for your reply's and advice. Emptied the chamber, checked my airflow, checked the thermocouple,  refilled the burn chamber  and fired it up. This time the heating up went a lot faster and the solenoids activated at the mentioned temperatures. It went in high burn like nothing was ever wrong..... It has been running for a few days and no problems. Strange, it still might be a controller defect but it seems to work for the moment.
Thanks again for replying.

holder73

Are firestar controller covered by warranty, my dealer is telling me that it is not, mine is out after only 6 years of use and now they are wanting $370 to replace, doesn't seem right, I've read my warranty and the controller isn't mentioned in the exclusions.

boilerman101

I believe CB's FireStar and Love controller warranties are for a period of 3 years. Probably pretty standard with most appliance/computer board warranties. My computer board went out on my Bosch dishwasher in 18 months and was told their warranty was only for 1 year. $250 bucks for a new board. Only paid $450 for the whole dishwasher! 

Thank You Sponsors!