iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle saw power

Started by smwwoody, July 26, 2004, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

What do you guys power your saws with I am planing on useing a 3406 Cat  or my 401 case
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Ron Wenrich

I'd be using a stationary motor.  641 Detroits are often a favorite.  I've seen some 471s, but they seemed to lack some.  You also don't have as much auxillary power options.

I'd go with any 6 cylinder diesel that is set up with industrial quality governor.  You'll probably want something to run your hydraulics.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

If I was going with a large diesel engine, I would install a jack shaft to get the engine away from the saw husk. If you have the engine right up against the husk, you have an awful large amount of heat and noise. Also it is safer, you do not have all the belts right up against the off- bear.

smwwoody

Ron

Both motors I mentioned are factory made power units both large 6 cylinder diesels.  the 401 is 109 hp non turbo.  the 3406 is 310hp turbocharged  thy both have industrial governers.  the 401 is a 6.7 litere and the 3406 is around 14 litere.  the 3406 has all the power i would ever need but it may also use a lot of fuel.  the 401 may also use a lot of fuel if it is being worked at its max all the time.  

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Jeff

150 horse 3 phase electric at the head rig, 75 horse on the vertical edger and 75 horse on the hydraulics.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

You could use the big one to run a gen set.  Then you could take advantage of the electric motors.

I would think the smaller one would probably suit your needs, especially to start.  The fuel issue may be a factor.  We run about 400 gal/wk for our gen-set.  We had iced in our delivery price to under $1/gal for the winter, last year.  I don't know what it will be this year.  If you're a volume buyer, you'll get a better rate.

After you get ahead of the learning curve, you can put on the bigger motor.  If you don't have any need for the extra hp, it seems like overkill to me.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

Woody,

I guess it boils down to what the cost of the engines are, if they are used and in the same shape, I would go with the CAT. If you plan on hiring help, your bigger engine will reduce your sawing cost. For running the engines under light load, there is probably less than a gallon per hour difference. You should be able to get the fuel curves for these engines and see the consuption rate.

Frank_Pender

On my big head rig that runs a 52" (and tooth) saw blade Iuse a 200 horsepower Allis-Chalmers diesel with a limit device set at 175 hp.   As D. Fredrick says, you would be much better off with a jack-shaft set up.  that is the way I have mine set in place.  What little I have sawed, all has worked well. :)
Frank Pender

woodhaven

I'm embarrassed. I'm still running a little 126 H.P. ford 6 cylinder gas.
Richard

smwwoody

I allready owne both engines and they are set up about the same so I think I will start out with the small one and if it is not enough I can set the big one in hook up fuel lines and belts and move the hyd pump and tank and we will be up and running.  it should only be about a half day switch

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

J_T

Woodhaven removed my ford six not long ago . Put a perkins six on it came off a 510 massey combine . Works great less than a gallon of fuel a hour. Drove that combine up to the mill yard and took it off and used the hydriliks that was on it already . The old Ford finnley wore out .
Jim Holloway

woodhaven

J_T
What horse power is that perkins. What do think of using a engine out of a peterbuilt tractor trailer.
Richard

J_T

Woodhaven Don,t know what hp it it my guess is 150 Redpower or someone else may know more than I do I hope. I traded for the combine the guy couldn,t get it to run took me all of fifteen minutes ;D Bet that motor out of that Peat would have a bunch of Hp but the fuel might be bad ??? Lots old farm equepment around cheep Built a forklift out of a cotton picker I call it my cotton picking forklift. I think I got enough weight on the rear to lift a bundel of tyes I will know soon.
Jim Holloway

redpowerd

not sure on massey cowbines
the year might help.
ifn ima thinkin right, 130 is where id put the chips :)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

J_T

Red that rung a bell I beleave you are right Thanks 8)
Jim Holloway

redpowerd

whoa dont quote me on that one, please!
thinkin that cowbine is from the mid to late sixties?
just totally guessin
thats about the range for machines back then

lets make a poll ::) :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Sawyerfortyish

smwwoody I run my mill with a 671. It is a long shaft and I built a room around it to help with the noise. If I had it to do again I would get a 300 kva or bigger gen set to run everything. Instead of having a moter on the headsaw and one on the edger and one on the grinder and a small gen set to power a planer and ripsaw and moulder. As your mill grows there are a lot of things you wish you did. If it were me I would use the bigger moter on the headsaw and the smaller one on an edger since you already have them.

Thank You Sponsors!