iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this not COOL?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 27, 2014, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

moving that sucker would be something
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Stephen1

That is something, I was asked 2 days ago if I could make it.. :)
What a great idea.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

Yes, cool would describe it.

Being able to make it out of one log would really be cool.

But, the end of the half-log looks painted. Did Poston take the pic, or see it up close?
From the end grain, what species does it appear to be?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mmartone

I just looked at that on facebook,wow... I think if I was going to make it I might hollow out the bottom somehow (chainsaw).
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Left Coast Chris

You have to wonder if it is spliced or built into the building.   The other question is how they dealt with bugs.   Hopefully there is nothing going on under the bark..... :o :)     Pretty large to fit into a kiln.

The cost would be interesting to know also.   $5k-$10k would seem likely.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

beenthere

QuoteYou have to wonder if it is spliced or built into the building.

Or is completely fabricated? Any info on it's origin, or where it is located?

Maybe a pic off the net?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

The end grain is funny looking ???
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Warbird

I'm curious how the 'legs' are attached?  That's got to be a LOT of weight to support.  Would hate to have it come down on unsuspecting folk's legs.

Ljohnsaw

OK, I'm not an expert but I would say that it is "fake".  First clue to me - the checking on the end grain (which looks really strange), does not propagate into the table top.  Second clue to me - there does not appear to be any checking in the table top.  Really?

IF (and a big IF) this is actually wood, my guess would be that the top slab might be true (with the rabbets for the glass) and the "log" is actually hollow.  Ever been to Disneyland?  Amazing what they did with fiberglass way back then and now.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bark is something synthetic.

Sorry, I'm just a pessimist in some things...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jueston

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 29, 2014, 01:08:10 AM
OK, I'm not an expert but I would say that it is "fake".  First clue to me - the checking on the end grain (which looks really strange), does not propagate into the table top.  Second clue to me - there does not appear to be any checking in the table top.  Really?

IF (and a big IF) this is actually wood, my guess would be that the top slab might be true (with the rabbets for the glass) and the "log" is actually hollow.  Ever been to Disneyland?  Amazing what they did with fiberglass way back then and now.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bark is something synthetic.

Sorry, I'm just a pessimist in some things...

i agree, think of the liability the woodworker would take on if it was real wood, the woodworkers gets payed 10-15K for a piece like that, and in a year or 2 when it does something crazy and all the bark starts to fall off the owner wants there money back....

i would guess it isn't wood at all, just painted acrylic, to me it just doesn't look natural....

beenthere

And if it isn't real, then near to 100% of the people couldn't tell the difference.

I've a hearth on my fireplace that is what is called Tennessee stone, and has some natural stone swirl in it. Many people think it is wood.
south central Wisconsin

hackberry jake

A friend showed this to me. I said the same thing... fake.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!