iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First thinning volume ?

Started by Road Runner, September 26, 2014, 05:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Runner

I know that this is a loaded question, but I'd like to get a general feel for the tons per acre to expect from a first thinning in a loblolly plantation in the coastal plain of SC.  My father has three tracts that are 14 years old and was planted (I think) on a 6 X 8 spacing that I would say is average for this area.  The tracts were site prepped with a herbicide treatment followed by burning.  I will be looking at the sites tomorrow and will talk to the forester next week.  We will thin to a BA of 60-70.  Any help, advise, or suggestions would be appreciated.   
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

WDH

I suspect that you will get about 25 tons/acre.  About one truckload per acre. 

Most people do not thin loblolly pine heavy enough.  I would shoot for closer to 60 BA than 70. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Road Runner

Thanks Danny,  Your estimate is pretty close to my wild guess of 20 tons/acre.  I'll let you know how your blind cruise was in a few months if all goes well and prices hold.

timberking

That's about right on the load per acre for that age. 

VT_Forestry

I agree, that tonnage should hold pretty close.  I also agree that most folks don't thin loblolly heavy enough.  We usually shoot for 70 BA, one time we had a logger get a little wild and it ended up closer to 40.  I wouldn't advocate going that heavy - it looked thin, and probably was a little too thin, and I know we got lucky a big ole gust of wind didn't flatten the whole place, but now it's one of the prettiest stands of pine we have on the property :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Road Runner

Thanks for the replies.  I looked at the tracts on Sat. and decided to thin two of the three.  One tract only had a BA of 75 due to poor sandy soil.  It should have been planted in Long Leaf, but at the time of planting seedlings were not available. The other two had a BA of about 130.
We talked to the forester this morning and he normally does third row thinning with minimal thinning between rows due to the large size of equip. used.  This will leave about an 80 BA.  I agree 100% with WDH about the need to go lower, but also understand about the use of large equip. and don't want skinned residual trees, especially with the possibility of spring logging.  This area has also had two severe ice storms in the past 10 years (global warming I guess) and a higher leave BA would be a plus if this happens again.
I will update after it's cut. 

timberking

If we do 3rd row thinings, we remove the trash unless the stand is young.  3rd row is the easiest to side thin compared to 4th or 5th.  Saying the iron is too big just doesn't seem right.

WDH

I agree.  It is customary to thin the leave rows, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!