iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

working the steep ground

Started by snowstorm, September 25, 2014, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

its so steep i have to put the wood up against a tree or it runs away. cant put the brush in the trail or i cant get back up the hill. today i was running a good sized popple thru the head when all of a sudden down the hill we went. all 6 tires slid . went about 15 ft but it was exciting.

1270d

The challenge is setting it up for the forwarder.

lopet

Chains will probably give you more traction , if it  comes to sliding.
But what I am more wondering is , what kinda hill can you climb  as all this never stuff has hydrostatic drive. Does it make a different in the summertime when hydraulics are hotter, than in the wintertime ? Forwarder is probably even worse with a load on it. Also can wheel motors wear out too ? Or is all about pressure and gallons ? 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

chevytaHOE5674

I run a Ponsse Caribou 8 wheel forwarder with tracks on the bunk end and it will climb hills that you have to crawl up and down on your hands and knees. If the machine is in good working order then outside temp should have no effect on it. Pumps and motors can and do wear out.

thenorthman

Ya probably already know this, but...

Cut from the bottom up, especially if there is any hand falling.

Yard from the top down.

If you can set it up so you can drag yer turns down hill, we all know climbing a hill with a load is a pain.  Or at the very least winch the turns to the top, then forward them or whatever to a proper landing.

There is nothing quite like having the front axle 4-5 feet off the ground and still be angled down hill... then once gravity sets back in the back axle wants to do the same trick, using the skidder blade as a wheelie bar...

heard a story once about a good ole boy pulling some logs off the top of a yarder landing with a little skidder, grabbed too big a log, and it gave him a push all the way to the bottom of the unit. hit the truck road hung a right and bailed, log jill poked into the ditch, skidder parked itself next to it...
well that didn't work

SliverPicker

Personally proved the wheelie bar theory yesterday.  I'm convinced. 
Yooper by trade.

barbender

Quote from: 1270d on September 25, 2014, 08:03:43 PM
The challenge is setting it up for the forwarder.
X2, I haven't been on anything really steep with the Ponsse Buffalo King yet. I suspect it won't climb as well as the old Buffalo. I don't know what's different on the newer Ponsses, but the hydraulic drive tends to go over relief when really put under load.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

the rottne is hystat it dose creep a little on a hill. have they solved that problem on the newer ones? i should have the tracks on but i dont. on the way back up the hill i had to lock bolth difs in. it started spining on a couple small popple limbs. and the land owner thinks this place will make several nice house lots

chevytaHOE5674

The Ponsse's have a working brake that locks as soon as you let off the gas pedal so that you don't creep when loading wood.

snowstorm

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 26, 2014, 06:08:03 AM
The Ponsse's have a working brake that locks as soon as you let off the gas pedal so that you don't creep when loading wood.
so it would creep without the working brake? mine has a working brake a button on the floor push it and its set tap the brake petal to release. it has one of rottnes  not so great ideas air over hydraulic brakes . they do work ok

lopet

What I was getting at is, when you reach your limits , do you still spin your tires or does it just quit moving ?  The same when being in the mud to the axles, do the tires still spin ?  The reason I asked was, because I have seen a couple of guys trying to get a combine unstuck and noticed the hydraulics just screamed  :o After they unloaded the bin in to a wagon the tires turned again and they got it out with a big tractor.

It sounds like some make and models make problems and some less.   So my point was , when your hydraulic components are worn out you better stay on level ground and out of the mud    right ? 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

chevytaHOE5674

Without the working brake set on the Ponsse it will creep on hills. The steeper the hill the faster the creeping.

The forwarder and processor we have will both run out of traction before power, meaning you will dig holes in the ground before you stall the hydraulics.

lopet

SwampDonkey

Steep hills I leave as pristine wildlife preserves. :D We were just lucky on the farm, we never had steep ground, just pretty much flat. Although, overall the land is rolling, but not a deep gully or steep hill on any of it.  :)

You folks working on steep hills be carefull.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!