iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another newbie

Started by Woodbilly, September 25, 2014, 03:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbilly

What a great forum this is, so much helpfull information. I have recently found timber framing after cutting a couple of 14m 300x150 beams for a farmer mate 

(who didnt really know what he wanted it for) so i started searching for end uses and found timber framing. Its got me hook line and sinker. Got my hands on Sobons book all about post-and-beam building, had a go at a small shed (2mx2m floor size)thinking it would satisfy my curiosity, how wrong i was. I have always loved milling and making dust and its like now i know why.

Jim_Rogers

Welcome, and thanks for sharing.

Lets see the outside?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roger Nair

Kudos for jumping in Billy, I hope you find framing endlessly challenging and satisfying.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! That is a nice looking shed. What species did you use? I know you have a lot of different stuff than we have here in the States. Do you have any of the super hard stuff like they have in Australia? I met a timber framer at a workshop and he told us about some of the woods that he has worked. I guess ironbark lives up to it's name. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Welcome Woodbilly!  Love the user name.  Looks like you've jumped into timber framing head first and it looks like you're on the right track.  Feel free to his us up if you have ANY questions.  smiley_beertoast
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Woodbilly

Thanks for the welcome. Heres the outside, all made from douglas fir logs, cut with one of Carl Petersons early mills. Framing is turning out to be an addiction. One of the hardest woods i have cut here is black maire, slabbed abit of it and always brings out the weak spots in my gear. 

Brad_bb

Is Doug fir shipped to you or does it grow in NZ?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 26, 2014, 10:41:41 PM
Is Doug fir shipped to you or does it grow in NZ?

2nd most common tree grown in NZ. Mostly in the Sth Island where it's cooler and it does better than Radiata pine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Woodbilly

Thanks Ian. Locally grown trees were taken down to make way for a power-line project. Love it how framing fits in to make use of trees and timber that no body really wants.
Started cutting macrocarpa 6x6's with the warrior for the next frame, I will stick with the same joinery as the Sobon shed. Sills, posts, plates will be 6x6's, use 6x8's for cross beams floor size will be 3.6m x3.6m, 4 bents, 6x4's for braces and rafters. when cutting the plate is there any reason why I cant make it longer to fully house the end step-lapped rafter seats?

Ianab

I bet a Macrocarpa framed building is going to smell fantastic once you get it closed in  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure that frame will work with 6x6, the plans specify 8x8. Keep in mind that timber size is based not only on the loads it will have to bear, but also the joinery that you will be cutting out of it. You could run the plates out past the post, but then you'd have plates running out past the post. :D Often, when running the plate out like that, there is also a ridge beam that is running out, and the roof is also run out past the gable wall of the shed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodbilly

Haha ,thanks Dave. 6x6's are what I can cut easily, is there a frame design similar that can be used with that size post?. I was surprised at how solid the little shed became when assembled just as a frame. When you say your are not sure it would work, where would the failure likely to be? Is it in the crossbeam mortice on the post?

Jim_Rogers

If you're using a 6x6 and you take out 2" of wood for a mortise then you only have a 4x4 left.
If you want to use a 6x6 then you need to adjust your mortises and tenons to be 1 1/2" not 2".
There are some standard rules for joint sizing.
One rule is that the tenon should be 1/4 of the timber thickness, therefore 1 1/2" for a 6" thick timber.
2" tenons are for 8" thick timbers.

This is just an example of what you need to consider if you "re-design" a frame to meet the sizes of the timbers you have.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Jack Sobon teaches a class every fall with Dave Carlon at Hancock Shaker Village, which is actually finishing up today. In that class they build a 12'x14' Dutch house frame. It has five bents and uses small posts. I think they are 4.5"x6". When I took the class in '06 it was a 14'x16' and used 6"x6" posts and 6"x8" tie beams. 

This is the '09 Hancock frame. It is 14'x16' with a 12'x16' shed addition that I designed.

Woodbilly

Thanks Jim, i did size the tennons down to 1-1/2" after reading some of your old posts. I thought about buying in some bigger beams but i kind of like milling my own timber. Cool frame Dave, i would love to live in that.

Dave Shepard

The posts on the current Sobon/Carlon workshop are 6x6 and the tie beams are 6x8. Sills are 7x8.

Here is a shot of this years frame taken this afternoon:

Jim_Rogers

I guess they really hustled after I left on Friday. Then they didn't even have the sills together.

They got a lot more done then I thought they would.

Jim Rogers

Woodbilly

Thanks for the pic Dave, just what i had in mind. You guys are so lucky to have a timber framing class available to attend. Made a small donation to the forum today for all the helpfull information i have gained.

Thank You Sponsors!