iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Track question

Started by Farmer Jim, September 25, 2014, 08:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Jim

Hello, I have a Takeuchi TB045 excavator I use for woods roads and moving logs by my mill.  The tracks were needing to be bushed and pinned, but I was trying to hold off for a bit. I see yesterday that the bushing is missing on one of the pins. Unfortunately the shop that did my JD450 tracks isn't set up to do the smaller pitch tracks of this machine. I called the "local" dealer and am still waiting for estimates for rubber and the necessary parts vs. steel.  Doing a internet search shows bunches of rubber tracks, but I would like to stay with steel.  My question is, shouldn't I be able to find just the chain and sprockets and swap my pads to the new chain? The front idlers were changed by the previous owner 18 months ago. Thanks. Jim
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

M_S_S

Not sure of the tracks on a little excavator, but on a cat you can swap your pads. The chains should be able to be built up, new pins and bushing installed if not compeletly worn out. I have built up a lot of cat rails, rollers and sprockets. Takes lots of welding  lol. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

Farmer Jim

The problem is getting my chain pinned and bushed. I haven't found a shop that will do them.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

M_S_S

Have you tried the dealer. Not sure of how things work back east, but the dealers out here, if they sell tracked equip. either do it or know someone that  does. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

GRANITEstateMP

Give Jordan Equipment in Pembroke, NH a try, can't remember the # or address.  I've got some plow stuff and cutting edge things from them but one of there specialties is tracks / undercarriage.  Maybe they can help you along.  Best of luck.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

BargeMonkey

Flo-weld  518-537-6268  Germantown NY,  thats who I buy 90% of my track thru. They can find just about anything.

JDeere

I haven't heard of anyone re-pinning & bushing their chains around here for a long time. We always just buy new chains and put the old pad back on if they are still good. I would take a hard look at the cost of doing that versus new chains. I don't know a lot about the smaller machine tracks, but on our bigger machines it has not been cost effective to do that. One word of advice, always lightly grind the bottom of your pads and the surface of the chain to get all the dust, debris and paint off. The slightest amount can cause the pads to loosen up and you may never get them to stay tight again. Make sure your torque them down per the specifications.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Farmer Jim

The price of rubber is $1150 ea., new steel $2250 ea., I'm waiting on a quote for just the chains.  The rubber tracks would be cheaper than a re-pin and bush based on dozer tracks I've had done, but for the things I do with it I'm afraid I'd have a chunk of rubber torn out the first week. I'm hoping they give me a quote tomorrow for the chains and that they are less than the rubber tracks so I can just put my pads on and go.

HiTech

Call TracksNTeeth, (208) 486-4995. You maybe surprised at what you can get a new chain and track pad bolts for. Or perhaps a complete track.

Farmer Jim

Thank you all for the help and advice.  I tried the # for TracksnTeeth, but it didn't work. The local-ish dealer found new chains, hardware, sprockets, and tightener rebuild kits. With tax and freight, $2690.  That is in the ball park of what I was expecting to pay for a pin and bushing job.  I'm not tickled with the outlay, but I won't have to wonder if I'll end up in a pickle on the back 40 like I do with it the way it is now.  The parts are expected mid next week.  Thank you again.

BargeMonkey

Rubber tracks on a mini, with a good operator last 12-1500 hrs. Steel tracks probably 4k plus, depends how much rock you get in. We ripped a track last week on our Kubota 121-3, bit the bullet at 1200hrs on a set of tracks. They are the handiest machines, our 310SG basically sits anymore.

Farmer Jim

I don't know how I got by before buying this machine, I had a list of projects that was long enough that rental fees would add up to the cost of a used machine, so I bought one instead. I don't want rubber tracks because there are scrap piles here to clean up that I am slowly squeezing into the schedule and once I have what I can find cleared, I go through with the machine to finish rooting out pieces. I have no idea what all is hiding in the dirt. I don't need to run over a chunk of steel and tear up a rubber track.  I have less worries with steel tracks. I had no idea of the life span of tracks, that is good info to have.

Thank You Sponsors!