iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not-So-Full Disclosure

Started by martyinmi, September 24, 2014, 10:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

Earlier this summer my younger brother bought a new Jonsered 2255. It is a huge step up from the 3 or 4 disposable Poulans (Wood Shark,Wild Thing,etc.) that he's accumulated over the last 25 years.
He had been doing a bit of bragging about just how well this pretty new red thing cuts.
He knows that I like my older saws, especially my older Macs, so he called me up to see if I had any 55cc saws that would or could run with his mighty "Red".
I told him that my muffler modded MS310 Stihl would be up for the challenge, but he said that because it was 5cc's bigger, fully broken in, and modified, it wouldn't be fair to "Red".
He remembered that I'd had an old 555 Mac that he'd borrowed a few years back, and he wondered if it might be up to the task. I told him sure, and we set up a time to hack up an 18" Pine at our parents house.

Now comes the not-so-full disclosure part. ;)

He didn't know at the time (and still doesn't!) that I also have a 700 Mac that I'd modded the muffler a bit, as well as installed an 8 pin drive sprocket. It will cut with his saw's bigger brother (a 2172) all day! For an old stock saw, it cuts very, very well.
He also didn't know (and still doesn't) that the air cleaner cover from a 700 is the exact same thing as a 555.
So....on our day of brotherly competition, my lowly Mac was actually a 555 badged 700. ;D

Poor 'ol Red got his butt whipped badly by a 30 year old Mac. 8)
I was making 3 cuts to his 2 until we got to the end of the log.
He was so disappointed with Red that he threatened to take him back to TSC. :o

Now, I've still not 'fessed up to him, nor do  I intend to.
He's 8 years younger than me, 20 lbs lighter, 3 inches taller, has a better job, a bigger house, and he can still dunk a volleyball.
I, on the other hand, make baby back ribs that are much better than his, and my lowly old 55cc saw has loads more power than his!
And I'm OK with that. :)

I can think of no legitimate reason to fully disclose my tiny little infraction to him as long as I've aired it out here. ;D

Hope my other two brothers can keep their yaps closed about this one. I wasn't even out of my folks driveway before I'd had one of them on the phone bragging about my little sibling-deception. smiley_hellow_im_here

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

That is a great story there!! Gotta love sibling rivalry ;D
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WmFritz

Marty, are you related to Vicki's family? I swear that she, her Dad and her brother are the most tight lipped bunch of people when it comes to modding stuff I've ever met. I've been in this family for almost 30 years and every once in a while I uncover some secret that they had over on me.

Her Dad raced cars, snowmobiles and jeeps and would look for any little 'advantage.' He taught his two kids too well and they can drive me crazy with their secrets.  One year, my Father and Brother-in-law bought new sleds. They knew that I had my clutching dead on. So, one Fall day they called me at work and asked me if they could use my sled to grass drag a little to work out their clutching. I said sure... go ahead. Mine was 800cc, the FIL bought a new 800 and BIL bought a 600. The first snow when we went riding, both those guys smoked me so bad it was embarrassing.
I found out many years later they changed base gaskets to up compression, changed timing and then clutched them. The 600 had the carbs bored too. That 600 sled drove me nuts, he'd beat me so bad. And those guys would stand there with straight faces and tell me all they did was change clutch weights.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Mooseherder

Little brothers need to know their place in this world. :D

Ianab

Those tricks are sort of like driving a Toyota Matrix hatchback with a 275hp V6  ;)

Not that I'd do anything like that...  ::) :-X :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

:D Good story nephew .

A similar outcome also took place in Mich after I landed a pair of McCullochs for my wifes' nephews .A PM 610 for one and a 7-10 for another for firewooders .

Their buddys couldn't believe those 30 plus year old yellow saws could outgun their "wild things "----I also taught them how to file a chain  ;)

weimedog

Great post... made me smile a bit.  ::) Those old macs will surprise someone not educated in the ways of those yellow saws! Spike60 has a 60 something "cc" variant of that series that gave me an education..... (I have a ported 346xp top on a 345 plastic saw that hopes to pass the favor along in a slightly different arena)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

:D Storys can abound over who can get the fastest saws .Around 30-35  years ago it went like this .I had a Mac pm 610 ,my dad has a Sears/Roper 60 cc .I could out gun the Roper .My dad wouldn't stand for that so he added some soup,broke his crankshaft .He bought 610 and was outrunning me .< he tinkered on his Mac .

My brother in law thought he'd get a leg up .Mac 10-10 ,AV gas and nitro .It went well for about 10 minutes,grenaded the piston .So here he came with a brand new Stihl 042 .The old man still out ran him . 8)

sablatnic

My father and I both used Partner S55 farmer saws, except one day I had another S55 on which I had put a Partner 7000S cylinder, did two cuts while he did one. Quite a job to modify it, actually. I had to dismantle the saw completely, and bore the crankcase for the larger cylinder.

It is a great saw. I still have it here, thirty years later!

Al_Smith

It's all fun stuff for a few of us .To some however it's a chore to figure out what kind of oil and mix ratio and which chain sharpening device to use .Different strokes for different folks . ;D

sawguy21

I am enjoying this, appeals to my sense of humor. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

goose63

My brother had 7MM magnum he was bragging bought so we went to an old gravel pit with a 1/2 inch plate the 7 mm knocked it over my old German 8mm put a hole in it he still don't know I was shooting steel core armor piercing ammo that was 35 years ago ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Al_Smith

Well now if you're going to go from chainsaws to arms I have one .

When I hunted with black powder most of my buds had 45 or 50 cal .I had a 58 .At the end of the day they would fire their rifles at a barrel ,bang ,out both sides .The old 58 knocked the barrel over .Speed isn't everything  8)

mad murdock

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 25, 2014, 04:43:47 PM
Well now if you're going to go from chainsaws to arms I have one .

When I hunted with black powder most of my buds had 45 or 50 cal .I had a 58 .At the end of the day they would fire their rifles at a barrel ,bang ,out both sides .The old 58 knocked the barrel over .Speed isn't everything  8)
I love it Al! 8) I have a .58 hawken style flint lock myself for the same reason- mass downrange!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ed in idaho

67L36Driver

Racing motto:  Cheat, cheat, be hard to beat. ;)
Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

Thank You Sponsors!