iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automated Twin blade sawmill build.

Started by CaseyK, September 24, 2014, 10:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaseyK

Got the opportunity to work over to make some christmas money so i got another 10-12 days left on the rig. For the sawmill last hitch i finally solved the new turbo passing oil into the exhaust by installing a 90 dollar scavenger pump on the oil return line, even though it was a straight shot down to the belly pan the ones on the V2203 engines don't have hardly any space between the oil level and the top of the pan so the oil wouldnt drain good enough. Wish i would have came across the scavenger pump idea on you tube when i first installed the turbo.

Next i loaded the biggest log i had,  to saw up some garage rafters and 24ft 3ft diameter pine log was more than the infeed deck loader could handle so i redesigned it and 4 hrs later was able to load the log onto the infeed deck, unload to the saw deck went well, even clamping the monster and final positioning using the hydraulics worked well. But just before making my first cut the PLC power supply died due to spikes caused by the single phase AC drive that controls the 3ph motors on the feedworks and head raise and lower.

Found the line reactor for the drive on ebay for 35 bucks and replacement power supply for 175 so hopefully when i get home she will be good to go and start cutting some 24ft rafters before i swap over and try to get some christmas presents built.

Im hoping to get (3) hope chest built for my daughters within the 2 weeks or so im home along with the other honey-do list after being gone 5-1/2 weeks.
Now trying to decide on whether cherry or red oak or white oak or a combination for the chest.

I have been looking in the forestry forum for the chest build ideas and a big thanks to all the guys that have shared their knowledge on the subject of woodworking and sawmilling.
Thanks
Casey Kennedy
Home built automated twin blade

Magicman

Thanks for the update and I look forward to seeing pictures of your hope chests.

I hate to tell you this but "time management" does not improve with age and job responsibilities.  You just tend to forget what you are supposed to do.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CaseyK

Man oh man, loading the plane in dallas to go across the pond. Didnt get to touch the mill but got 4 cherry hope chest built, red oak stair treads made and installed and a 1-3/4" red oak quarter sawn 90"x40" dining room  table with cypress tressles and a cherry connector beam built this hitch for the families christmas presents. It took me over 150hrs but i loved it. I will post pics when i get onboard the rig

CaseyK

Slept 14hrs of a 17hr flight and forgot i had posted the last post. Its been get it get it for the last 14 days on the rig but here is a pic that i had already loaded into my gallery.

Sons cherry hope chest with oak panels, the other 3 were all cherry.

Sorry i cant get anything else to load because of the internet speed, will try to compress the files and try again.

CaseyK

CaseyK

Here is the table pics

the raw boards

The finished product with only 2 coats of poly

This one is of the cypress tressle and cherry connector beam but i didnt get to put poly on them yet, ran out of time

CaseyK

the hand rails were already existing i just ripped up the carpet and installed the treads and backstops i had milled from rough lumber.

The top 1/2

the landing wasnt finished in this pic  but here is the lower half

Ive got another 2 weeks but cant wait to get back home and but the mill back together and start cutting some oak for the next project.

Magicman

Wow Sir, those are some awesome accomplishments!!  It is obvious that you manage your "home time" very well indeed.   thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CaseyK

Thanks Magic Man. Its just that i had always bought presents before for the family and this year i wanted to give them something that i built instead. I ended up almost biting more than i could chew but i still made my deadline for gift night and everybody was surprised and Happy.

boardmaker

Still wondering if you sleep when you're at home.

Thank You Sponsors!