iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automated Twin blade sawmill build.

Started by CaseyK, September 24, 2014, 10:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Many people reading this thread!  Thanks for keeping us posted.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

arnold113

CaseyK
I too have had cogging problems that I first blamed flexing of the four post frame so I clamped temp cross braces to the frame. It didn't help. The only way I ever got rid of the problem was to retune the control system (change the PID settings).  You probably aren't using PID but explore what drive settings you have. Maybe that will help.
Arnold
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

CaseyK

Last 2 days have been long & productive, got the 2 saw decks cut out and welded today. One has 3 uprights, the other 2. Each runner is 6 ft apart and both decks can clamp 2 logs at the same time. Worked until 9 tonight cutting out the pipe for the 2 indeed decks, one has 3 top pipes 6 ft apart, the other 2 6' apart, matching the saw decks. The infests decks are 13ft long which should hold 8-10 logs. Also scored a 15hp hydraulic unit with heat exchanger and tank, also scored 40ft of heavy duty roller conveyors. If it doesn't rain hope to pour concrete for the saw decks so I can get them bolted down solid.
Home built automated twin blade

Ox

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

pineywoods

I had intentions of stopping by yesterday, customer called, bringing a truck load of logs. He never showed. Maybe today. I'll bring a couple of saw blades that I have no use for, I run a bandmill..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

CaseyK

Got one of the indeed decks welded out and the other unit in position to weld out tomorrow morning & then start transporting everything to the house.
Piney woods I'm hoping to be home friday

CaseyK

CaseyK

Got indeed decks and saw decks in position but not leveled or bolted down. Also got the hydraulic unit and (4) roller beds to the house. Tomorrow I'm going to clear the trees off of a spot so my buddy can make me a pad for the 40x60 saw shed to be built next hitch home.

CaseyK

Arnold I adjusted the IR Drop pot on the feed works dc drive and it appeared to help, hope to do some testing tomorrow

Ox

That there is somethin' fierce powerful impressive for a homebuilt mill.  VERY cool.   smiley_thumbsup

CaseyK

CaseyK

Look at the cool toys the ups guy dropped off last week.  Thank for ghe compliment OX but I haven't got to the cool stuff yet but hopefully next hitch home will be when I get to show off the cool stuff.

Ox

Can't wait!
That hookaroon looks like a different hook tip than mine.  Is it Logrite as well?
Be safe out there.  :)

CaseyK

Hi ox, the picaro on is a Koch brand. I got to try the log right today picking up a 16ft trailer full of tie logs today & it worked great, well worth the investment.

Ox

Logrites are the best.  I always balked at the price but you can't put a price on something that works THAT GOOD!
And made in America!  By good people! 
It's a win-win situation in my book.

Don_Papenburg

Are you using 2050 chain for the feed ? That tends to jerk a little as it goes around small sprockets.  I removed all m 2040-2050 chain from my planters and replaced it with regular roller chain . Not skipping every other tooth smooths out the running .  If our other fixes don't work try the chain.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pineywoods

Casey's busy schedule and mine finally came together  enough for a short visit. I was very impressed with his mill. It has features borrowed from several different mills, plus a good dose of original thinking. I'll not get into details, I'll leave that to Casey. Just imagine a swing mill with diesel power, 60 ft rails, power feed in all 3 dimensions, 2 log bunks with log turner, remote wireless console and setworks. Even more mind boggling is the capability of a slabber that will handle 72 inch by 50 ft logs. Bring on them monster syp and cypress logs  ;D I'll be visiting a lot.

CaseyK, thanks for taking the time from your busy schedule and giving me a tour...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

CaseyK

Thanks for the kind words piney woods, I enjoyed our visit. The mill rails are only 40ft, not 60, but a 30ft board will be long enough. Next hitch home I will have to come look at your log turner in action before I start on mine.

Don, I think you are right about the double space chain, I was using 2040 and think now I'm going to replace it with regular 40 roller chain and possibly some larger idle sprockets.

CaseyK

Tonight is the first of 28 nights on the rig, so im going to have a lot of time to engineer and re-engineer the mill on paper before i get back home with the help of all the previous FF post and gallery pics.

Kbeitz

Hey... Lookin good.
Do you have a finished picture of your electrical box withe the new controlers ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

CaseyK

hi Kbeitz
Sorry I don't have any pics with me on the rig. I went with a 30x26"enclosure and its packed full. I have a 10 slot PLC rack on the top of the backplane with 12 isolation relays and 3 large AB 700 relays for direction control below it, bottom of the enclosure is for power distribution, right wall is where I mounted the 3 drives, and left wall uses a 45 degree stand off dim rail for the (2) wireless remotes to wire into and the field I/o to wire into. I added a plastic 12x12 box below the main box to house the 2 wireless remotes and a future wireless Ethernet hub to connect the plc to a 17" touch screen HMI industrial computer.

I will try to look up the dc drives part numbers for you tonight.

CaseyK

10 more days left on the rig. Guess its time to start ordering stuff again.
Decided to try to resolve the feed works jumping issue by replacing the 2040 roller chain with regular #40 roller chain, it should arrive before I get home. Also ordered an extra AB encoder for the Up/dn or left / right travel.
The Dozer guy has 2-3 hrs left to be thru with clearing the sawmill site and building the sawmill shed pad.
Been working on getting a drawing of the mill layout showing all the mill footings and the shed footings so that when I get home I can pour some footings. My mill will be stationary so ive been trying to figure out all the different ways to arrange and rearrange the equipment to enable me the most cutting options for now and with the addition of future equipment such as a 2 head resaw.
Im going to need to have the shed assembled before moving the sawmill in position but im still hoping to have it in position and cutting this July hitch home.

Ox

Thanks for the updates.  I love to see a go-getter going and getting it done!
I think you're right on with the switch to the 40 chain instead of the skip chain.

CaseyK

Last night on the rig.
My punchlist is simple this time, by the end of the hitch home I hope to get the shed up, mill installed, with infeed and sawdecks in position and be able to do some cutting so this thing can start paying for its self before I add the hydraulics and other stuff.
That sounds simple enough & if I can get around 120hrs in on the project I might reach my goal, we will see.

pineywoods

Good move, get the basics operational and run it as a manual setup before you comit to added features. You will likely find a few things you'll want to change anyway, although what you have accomplished so far looks mighty good to me.

Thank You Sponsors!