iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newbie here

Started by sfdems313, September 24, 2014, 09:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfdems313

I am new to this site and would love any input on which sawmill to get? I have been looking for about 5 years at many different companies and models and still have not bit the bullet. I live in Maine and have 2 pieces of land with many beautiful trees that i want to mill and build a garage and make some furniture with. What do you have for a mill and would you buy it again? I would like to mill on the side for extra cash as well. Thank you, Jason

mad murdock

Welcome to the FF sfdems313!  Check for local FF members, maybe you can see a few mill operations in "live action".  Many good mills out there. I started on the low budget/low production end with a CSM. I still have as CSM. I mill for myself and the support of the treefarm and home improvement projects. I need the versatility and portability of a CSM. If I had a mill "wish" I would have some sort of circle mill, either a handset circle mill or a swing mill.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, sfdems313. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sfdems313

great idea, thank you very much Mad Murdock

yukon cornelius

welcome! I bought am EZ Boardwalk Jr. I bought it to build my house and have since started making furniture. I mill every so often for others but its rare. mine is a manual mill. I love it and have had zero problems with it just a few operator errors. I would certainly buy it again. mine cost around $6000 with trailer package, 11 blades, shingle and lap siding attachment and delivery. I bought it new. it has paid itself off over and over.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

mad murdock

Another tip sfdems313, update your profile with location. Other members will be able to see if you are close by.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JohnM

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Mainah, Jason. ;D  You're welcome to come see my Lucas (swing mill), not sure where you're at but I'm out in Clifton.  As for recommending a mill....NO WAY! ;) :D  Too many good mills out there, mine is perfect for me others may find they don't like it. :)  Good luck with your search.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

samandothers

Happy Birthday John M!

I bought mine to build items on the property we have and make use of nature downed trees.  My LT 35 does all I need.  I like the Accuset when milling common thicknesses from a cant.  The power head is nice for a lazy guy  :D.   I do have a manual log deck but that is ok since tractor does most of the grunt work.

thecfarm

sfdems313,welcome to the forum.Have you looked at Thomas Bandsaw,in Brooks,ME? They have a real nice item for cutting clap boards. Just a lever that tilts the head. No jig,no reason to cut a cant, and then take it off. Just saw away!!
I have a Thomas. A very simple mill. I brought the 6020,removeable bunks,no flex track.
In May,at Bangor,ME there is a woods expo. This will be about mid May. There will be a bunch of mills there in motion to look at. It's a great place to decide on what you like. Stay tune,more about the show as it gets closer. I went both days.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

sfdems313  welcome aboard.

Lots of great mills to choose from, I suggest you test drive as many as you can.
When you hit "the one"  you'll know.

Best
DGDrls

bandmiller2

Cfarm gives some good advice that show in Bangor is worth waiting for, winter is about to slam shut anyways. I would look around, a lot of mills in Maine, help out different guys for a day or so and you will have a good idea what you want. If you have the room and ambition there are old circular mills around. Myself I built a bandmill many years ago and I'am well pleased with it, also setup a circular mill and enjoy both. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

manoverboard

TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

sfdems313

Thank you everyone for all the responses and welcomes.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 24, 2014, 08:22:42 PM
winter is about to slam shut anyways.

Easy, now Frank....this might be Maine...but no need to jump the gun...... ;D Plenty of sawing and woods fun to be had in Winter......

sfdems313 Welcome to FF! I live up in the Midcoast in Union. I have a Thomas Mill.....just visited with the owner a bit at the Common Ground Fair last weekend. Their local, and a good mill. You're welcome to see mine if you're in the neighborhood sometime...... I know it's a bit of a jaunt from down there but take the gal out for a lobster in Rockland and swing by...I'm 15 min away......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

dboyt

Jason, welcome to the forum!  Check out the manufacturers that sponsor this forum, for starters.  There is no substitute for seeing sawmills in action.  Consider the size of the logs you plan to work with, and the projects you plan to build.  There is no question that I would get another Norwood, if I had it to do over.  Good solid machine with hydraulic options you can add later.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Solomon

Quote from: sfdems313 on September 24, 2014, 09:03:15 AM
eewwI am new to this site and would love any input on which sawmill to get? I have been looking for about 5 years at many different companies and models and still have not bit the bullet. I live in Maine and have 2 pieces of land with many beautiful trees that i want to mill and build a garage and make some furniture with. What do you have for a mill and would you buy it again? I would like to mill on the side for extra cash as well. Thank you, Jason
Jason, what part of Maine do you live in ?     I was born in Houlton up in Aroostik county.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, sfdems313.  There is no substitute for actually seeing and getting your hands on a sawmill.  Hydraulics are available for higher production, but that may be more than you need.  Only you can determine that.  Contact the sponsors on the banner to your left.  They can probably put you in contact with a nearby sawyer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!