iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Missing Person

Started by island boy, September 24, 2014, 08:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

island boy

Wondering if any one can help?
Got a call last night from my sister who told me her 19 year old son is missing.
He was traveling from RI, cross country with his sister and were camping at Wapati Campground just east of Yellowstone. They woke up yesterday, had breakfast together and while still in his long underwear, crocs and jacket told his sister he was going to check out the campground (which isn't very large). He never returned.
Park County ,WY SAR searched all day yesterday into the night. Search will resume this morning. My sister who lives in RI is on plane out to Cody, WY at this time.

I'm wondering, with the FF community being as good a group as you can find online, I was thinking of trying to connect with a member from the Cody area.

How can I find out if there are any forum members out in this area.
Thanks, Geoff

LeeB

Check the member's map. Hope everything turns out ok.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandhills

Praying for the best, hope you have good news for us today.

yukon cornelius

Prayers sent for the family!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hardtailjohn

Wow..hope it turns out ok!!  I'd say check the members map and see who's the closest and go from there. Sounds like he's got the best already on the job... my prayers to him and the family!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Yoopersaw

You might want to try posting here also since a lot of fly fishing going on there.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/

island boy

sandhills

Prayers still coming, they definitely are putting forth everything they got, please keep us updated.

goose63

Praying thy soon find him safe and healthy
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

island boy

Heard again from my sister:

SAR team found his jacket and long underwear rolled up neatly and stashed (it was in the 80s there yesterday) in a remote area some miles from the campground. He apparently was also wearing shorts over his long underwear and they were not with the stashed items. This is a good sign for several reasons. It indicates he is out there and not stashed in someone's trunk. Also, they can refocus the search which has been a general large scale grid search pattern.
Hopefully better news to follow.

island boy

Just got good news!

SAR found him about five miles from the campground. He had gotten turned around and disoriented in the backcountry and when he got hot he stashed the warm cloths. Fortunately he stumbled upon a cabin and spent the night and today until they found him.

He's never going to hear the end of this experience.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

r.man

Easy to get turned around, I've done it a few times but always managed on my own. Glad to hear he is ok. Maybe his uncle should get him a good compass?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

island boy

Good idea r.man.
I can pass it on to him along with some of my own hard learned wilderness experiences.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stroover

I'm glad they found him. Being a former member of a SAR team, I didn't want to say anything to alarm you, but shedding clothing like that is usually a sign of hypothermia, which could have been very  bad news if they didn't find him soon. I know it sounds backwards, but in laymen's terms what's happening is that your inner core is getting colder than your outer layer (since your blood is pretty much around your outer skin, feeling warmer), so you think you're getting very hot and start taking clothes off. If you're ever in this situation, please try to remember this, and instead of shedding clothes, if you feel you must remover layers, don't drop them on the ground, but rather tie them around your waist. Because before you know it, you'll start shivering, and at that point you need to start putting your layers back on.
When my time is up, I want to hit the ground like a spent shell!

LeeB

What a relief to have a good ending. Glad all is well.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

island boy

WmFritz

Glad for a happy ending.

Like r.man I've been turned around a few times. Each of them without my compass.  smiley_dunce

The first time I was 15 or 16 in the U.P.  I got turned around tracking a deer in a cedar swamp. What saved me was I had a couple inches of snow on the ground and when I picked up my own tracks, I got back on my own. After that experience, I followed my Grandpa's example and sewed a compass on my hunting jacket.

Twice I've been lost on the Saginaw Bay ice. The first time, my friend and I were 4-5 miles offshore sitting in a portable shanty. The weather came up and we packed it in. We didn't get far before the snow was blowing so hard, we lost sight of shore and were turned around. Before long, it got dark, so we decided to put the shanty back up and ride out the night. At sun up we found a Sheriff Deputy sitting next to our pickup.
The second time we went out at dawn on a cold, crisp morning. As we sat fishing and the sun got higher, a heavy fog rolled in. We couldn't see 15' in front of us. We tried to head into shore without a compass and found a pressure crack, which meant we were going out instead of in. We stopped, drilled new holes and fished till about noon when a breeze blew the fog out. Now, I carry a compass on any outdoor activity; hunting, fishing, boating and snowmobiling.

Good advice Stroover.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ron Scott

Thankful for the happy ending!
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!