iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing problem-new guides

Started by Farmer Jim, September 23, 2014, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Jim

Hello, I have a HUD-SON Oscar II mill. I've had it for 14 years and have never liked the guides. I bought a set of the Cook guides w/ bottom control jaw. I was going to do the retrofit after sawing the 3000 bf of EWP I need for a new shop.  Murphy came to visit and before I could finish quarter sawing the red oak on the deck, one of guides finished crapping out. Yesterday I did the retro fit and today I adjusted using the instructions provided by Cook Saw. The photo is what I'm having a problem with. This is with a fresh blade. I tried 2 different blades in the event that was the issue. Your help please as I can't fiddle around any more trying to figure out why, because I'm clueless.  I didn't have this issue with the old set-up, with that I had constant problems of dimension uniformity, these boards are true now, but the saw marks are my issue. Thanks for your time.

Here is the cut:

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Chuck White

To me it just looks like you have a tooth (or two) out of set, not a serious problem.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GDinMaine

I second Chuck. It looks like an issue with tooth set. Is it a brand new or resharpened box of blades?
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

thecfarm

I'm sure no expert,but looks like teeth issue to me too. But you said you tried 3 blades,same on each one. I see that might be oak,maybe red? Have a softwood log to try? I don't see why that would matter any.
Abd could you take them off and saw without the guides? That would tell you for sure. Or would something bad happen if you tried that?   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

EZ

If its not the blades then it has to be the roller guides aren't set right. Check the top of the boards and if there not marked up then the roller guides are set down some in the front.
EZ

slider

I have seen this pattern many times.It was almost always due to a metal strike .
al glenn

Farmer Jim

I went over the adjustments again and cleaned out the sawdust that was build up 1/16" in one spot in the groove on one of the track wheels and am getting better results than yesterday. Still can see saw marks, but the boards are uniform. I finished the rest of the red oak quarter-sawing and am ready to start the EWP. Thank you for the help.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Dave Shepard

The only way to completely eliminate saw marks is to use a laser. That board looks pretty good.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ribsy

I agree with Dave. With a little planing, that is one fine quartersawn board!
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

Bluejay27

I got a little worried when you called those saw marks bad. That looks about typical for my mill, with a blade that hit a little metal making a heavier mark.

Although, if you hit just the right amount of metal, you can automatically cut non-slip stair treads. I did that with some residential oak, although I haven't done anything with the boards yet. I only cut a few boards as insurance against changing the blade a second time.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Thank You Sponsors!