iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker 3638G Help

Started by pabarhunter, September 23, 2014, 01:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabarhunter

Hey Guys, Been having some bearing issues with my Baker 3638G mill. I have 335 hours on the mill. I have broken the ram sprocket bearing twice in the last 100 hours. I have been back and forth with Baker for the past month. I need to start narrowing down the causes. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what there pressure gauge reads when you are lifting the mill head. Baker tells me mine should read around 800psi. Mine has always, from the day I brought it home max out at 1500psi when lifting the mill head. The mill head is perfectly level with the bed and the chains are tight. Thanks to anyone who can help me. Jim in Pa.
You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary. -Jonathan Edwards

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! There must be something binding to almost double the pressure to raise the head, but I have never seen a Baker up close. Sorry.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pabarhunter

Thanks Dave, I've been lurking around the forum for about the last five, six, years or so. When the mill head comes down it is "jerky", not one smooth motion. Going up it starts out ok, but towards the middle of the stroke the pressure really climbs and stays max out from there on. I am beyond frustrated trying to figure this out. I hope someone out there can help. There are a few other issues with the mill, but this one needs tackled first. I will share the rest later.
You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary. -Jonathan Edwards

beenthere

Welcome to the FF.
Glad you joined in.

Maybe take parts of it off and see what is binding.. Bearing? something bent? something with old grease (or none)?
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea when it happens and just need to isolate it from the good, working parts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

I have very little experience with a Baker, but agree that something is binding.  The part about "jerky coming down" is telltale.  You got a bind someplace.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

pabarhunter

Thanks Nomad, I think tomorrow morning I am going to loosen the linear bearings that guide the mill head up and down. The guys at Baker told me they use another brand now. Once loose from the linear bearings there really isn't much left to cause drag on the mill head. The downtime is killing me, I have orders to fill. Are there any other 3638G owners out there? Surely I didn't buy the only one.   ;D

ozarkgem

I am not familiar with Baker but there should be some shiny spots where it is binding. If is jerking maybe the linear bearing are seizing. Sounds like a pretty good bind. Sometimes we use Dykem to mark the metal and it will show where the wear is. Its nothing more than a dye used for layout on metal. Spray it where the head bearing surfaces travel and it should rub off where its is binding.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

scsmith42

I am the steward for a 3638D (Tom), which I think is the same mill as yours but with a diesel engine instead of gas.  It's an '07 model. 

Pressure when raising/lowering the head on Tom is usually around 700 lbs.  It is totally smooth going up and down.   It's raised via screw threads driven by a hydraulic motor. 

I'd look for something misaligned.  It will be tough, because everything is enclosed.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

york

Albert

scsmith42

Yup.  Hard and soft copies both.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!