iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal buildings

Started by RPF2509, September 23, 2014, 10:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPF2509

It seems a bit profane to ask about metal buildings in the forestry forum - I'd like to be talking timber frames but I have a need for a quick fireproof shop and have been looking into metal buildings for a workspace.  It would be about 20x30 with a concrete slab underneath.  I've done a bit of internet research and the variety of building styles and construction techniques is enormous.  I'd like to do most of the work myself and could borrow a backhoe but anything bigger would not be able to access the site.  I live in the mountains of CA and it would have to support a heavy snow load.  I'm looking to build next summer. Any advice /experiences/ good/bad/ ideas/ warnings would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance! RPF2509

LittleJohn

Put tubing in the slab; radiant heat is awesome!!

Even if you do not plan to turn it on right away, its easier to put in before the concrete goes down

Den Socling

These represent a couple different methods.

The green section on the left was bought as a kit and I put it up myself. The tan section was prefab and I had a contractor erect it. What you can't see is a connector between the two. It's maybe 20' x 30'. I built it from parts I ordered from a catalog. And yes, put in the radiant heat. And you'll eat up 600 sq. feet in a hurry.

Al_Smith

Utility buildings and building of same depends on a persons skill level and how much of a junk yard dawg they are .I am one of later myself .

I once built a 20 by 30 open machinery shed using salvaged 2" rigid steel conduit for the frame and trusses .1980 as a matter of fact that all told was less than 600 dollars including the metal roof and 20 tons of stone inside it .

That aside there must be 20 zillon places that offer kits .Again 20 by 30 is kind of small .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm getting ready to put up a 60 x 80 steel building. Poured the piers yesterday. Hope to start setting steel soon.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

Also, you need a forklift that will reach high enough to place steel. That stuff is heavy.  :D

Raider Bill

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 23, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
I'm getting ready to put up a 60 x 80 steel building. Poured the piers yesterday. Hope to start setting steel soon.  :)

I guess you sold a bunch of those $300 slabs? :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

I suppose you could use whatever works to set steel .On my shop I used a Pittman Polecat II line truck with 32 feet of boom to set trusses on my large shop which is 60 by 72 feet .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 23, 2014, 04:51:50 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 23, 2014, 04:46:47 PM

I guess you sold a bunch of those $300 slabs? :D

;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coxy

I think mine is made by us buildings in S.C 35x40( that's too small ;D)18feet in center I also put in a 6x6 box steel top beam in just to be safe the only thing is there are 6000 bolts and nuts :o that hold it together we have had it 12years now with no trouble and get heavy snow  anything you have is better than working out side  :laugh:

RPF2509

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately 20x30 is as big as I can get with the space I have.  Anything would be better than the half a garage I currently use.  Keep 'em coming good - bad - ugly.

Holmes

If you can increase the height of the roof you could put in a partial or full mezzanine .
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!