iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hyd. saw for processor

Started by Lazy logger, September 22, 2014, 09:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy logger

I am starting a processor build and wondering if anyone has used a danzco hyd. saw.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

TeaW

I am using a 20G Danzco saw and Higgo shows one in his build thread. Like mine, works well ,oiler is great.
TeaW

Lazy logger

Ok Thanks I will try to find out more. I am debating whether to build one or buy one.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

ckhenshaw4

Does anyone have pricing on the Danzco "ready to cut" kits ?  Looking at building one myself.

Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

Lazy logger

I've been looking, looks like 3700.00 or so for the biggest one. I'm still looking for a motor. Down to a Parker F11-19 might be an option. Waiting on a quote. Shivering when I think about how much it might be. 

snowstorm

have you tried looking for an old clt head that was parted out? then you have everything you need the saw mount and a motor that was ment to saw wood you could also get the oil tank and pump for the bar oil

Higgo

Although I haven't completed my machine yet, I would certainly recommend the Danzco saws, especially because there is now a hydraulic parts/components list and circuit diagram available when you buy the saw... which basically solves all the problems in the countless threads I've read (and I've also created a couple myself!) about which spool valves/what size valves/motors for conveyors etc. If you buy a Danzco you'll get the saw AND instructions/part numbers of which valves and conveyor motor to buy and how to plumb it up on your machine. My saw was shipped halfway around the world (Australia) and the transaction/shipping was very easy. In my opinion if you buy a Danzco saw and the recommended valves from the parts list it will probably save the cost and headache of one incorrect hydraulic component purchase trying to build your own system. It's seems every second build thread has a story about how something didn't work properly/hydraulic store nightmare because the store ordered the 'wrong' part...

Now it's as easy as buying the Danzco saw kit and handing the diagram and parts list to your hydraulic store (no more headaches and head scratching trying to figure out which parts to use!). I'd say the additional component cost hoses/pump/motor/valves plus the cost of the saw is money well spent (in my opinion!). I've spent my life building,fixing and retrofitting other peoples equipment and if there's a packaged solution available I'll ALWAYS choose it.

As a side note to anyone else reading this thread please DON'T ask me for the schematics, I'm pretty sure you have to buy the saw to get them and it's how Danzco make their money!

Hopes this helps

Lazy logger

Quote from: snowstorm on October 01, 2014, 08:46:24 PM
have you tried looking for an old clt head that was parted out? then you have everything you need the saw mount and a motor that was ment to saw wood you could also get the oil tank and pump for the bar oil
I have not. I will do a search when I get time. Around my area the big guy's use the buzz-saw feller bunchers.

Lazy logger

Quote from: Higgo on October 01, 2014, 08:59:46 PM
Although I haven't completed my machine yet, I would certainly recommend the Danzco saws, especially because there is now a hydraulic parts/components list and circuit diagram available when you buy the saw... which basically solves all the problems in the countless threads I've read (and I've also created a couple myself!) about which spool valves/what size valves/motors for conveyors etc. If you buy a Danzco you'll get the saw AND instructions/part numbers of which valves and conveyor motor to buy and how to plumb it up on your machine. My saw was shipped halfway around the world (Australia) and the transaction/shipping was very easy. In my opinion if you buy a Danzco saw and the recommended valves from the parts list it will probably save the cost and headache of one incorrect hydraulic component purchase trying to build your own system. It's seems every second build thread has a story about how something didn't work properly/hydraulic store nightmare because the store ordered the 'wrong' part...
I agree, Looks like they already figured out the bugs. This project I am working on involves college engineering students here where I work so I was thinking they could learn more by doing it the long way. Budget is a big issue for us as well. So I think the Danzco looks pretty good after looking for a motor.

Now it's as easy as buying the Danzco saw kit and handing the diagram and parts list to your hydraulic store (no more headaches and head scratching trying to figure out which parts to use!). I'd say the additional component cost hoses/pump/motor/valves plus the cost of the saw is money well spent (in my opinion!). I've spent my life building,fixing and retrofitting other peoples equipment and if there's a packaged solution available I'll ALWAYS choose it.

As a side note to anyone else reading this thread please DON'T ask me for the schematics, I'm pretty sure you have to buy the saw to get them and it's how Danzco make their money!

Hopes this helps

I agree, looks like the Danzco is a good choice. I am building this processor as a school project in our mech. engineering program. I thought it would be a good learning opportunity for my students to build it from scratch but our budget is tight so we have to consider that in our decision. Letting my students explore all options at this point.
I appreciate the feedback, Please keep it coming.

ckhenshaw4

I have e-mailed Danzco about prices, but as of yet have not gotten a response. I would like to go with their "all in one" kit !
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

Lazy logger

Pm Me and I will send you what I have from them.

Higgo

Quote from: ckhenshaw4 on October 02, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
I have e-mailed Danzco about prices, but as of yet have not gotten a response. I would like to go with their "all in one" kit !

Just to clarify, you still have to go to the hydraulic store and buy the other valves/ hoses and pump yourself... they don't come in a 'kit'. But you do get the part numbers of the parts you need which is very helpful

If it's for a project maybe look at some of the other models... I think there's a basic Danzco saw which looks very good. Lazy Logger, make sure you post the build with pictures of the construction please!!!

cwjr

I went with the sunfab scm-12 series saw motor, it is a exact rip off of the parker f11 but cheaper to purchase.  I am just in the finishing stages of my processor build, working on bar tensioner and oiler and then I will be able to give you some feedback on how well it works.  The sunfab motor was around $1200 ish.  and then I spent another $350 to buy a bar, sprocket and 3 chains.

For sure the danzo sounds like it is a way simpler option, I spent hours figuring out angles and pivot stuff for my saw mount,

there are a few pictures in my gallery of the build during various stages,  I will try to get some current ones on there tomorrow to show the saw motor/mount

Lazy logger

Thanks Guy's, I will start putting up pic's soon. Still collecting parts. cwjr   mind if I ask where you purchased you sunfab motor?
So far we have collected the following parts.

93 hp Nissan Diesel engine.
Piggy back pump 2 30 GPM sections
60 gal. tank
trailer frame
a bunch of steel
ordering a cyl.  5"bore  4"rod  24"stroke

I think we have enough HP to run a nice saw so I want to pick the right one.
what are you using for feed chains?

cwjr

pm me and I will give you the contact for the hydraulic shop I used,  they are a parker dealer and encouraged me to go with the sunfab (they sold too).   

I bought proper double pitch conveyor chain for my live deck #2060H but the main feed trough was mini bulldozer track that I got from my super sweet machine I bought to use for bits.   

It was an airport cargo loader for $700, it was full of hydraulic motors, valves, perkins diesel engine hooked to a 2 stage pump, sprockets, tracks, splitter cylinder  6"bore with a 4" rod 30"long stroke.  I know my splitter is going to be a bit on the slow side but I used what I had, 9 sec cycle time is liveable.   even the majority of my steel came from it, 

sometime if you have a chance google " lantis 818 cargo loader "  I don't know where you would find another one besides noticing some scrap behind a shop at the airport and inquiring (like I did) . it was by far the best move I made for my build.

blackfoot griz

I built my own saw for my processor and it works fine. I don't recall exactly what I have into the saw combination...the motor was around $450, the chain sprocket $75, the hub to hold the sprocket on the shaft $15--2 pillow block bearings, a chunk of shafting and some basic fabrication for the saw/bar mount. Add a bar and a hydro cylinder and you have a basic processor saw.

Lazy Logger, you say you have 2-- 30 GPM pumps, do you have any idea of what PSI those pumps are?

Lazy logger

Hello Blackfoot griz, The pump I have is a two section 30gpm each at 2500 psi 3000 max. My problem is finding a motor that spins up to the proper rpm. What does yours run at?

blackfoot griz

LL-I don't know what the actual RPM is. I run a sectional pump-- 15 gpm @ 1500 psi and this runs the saw motor, saw cylinder and clamp. This combo consistently keeps up with the cycle time of a 28 GPM 2 stage pump running the splitter which is a 4" x 24 stroke.
The motor I used is rated 2500 PSI max & 20 gpm. There are several motors larger in the same series.

You have a lot more HP available than I do--I run a 38 hp Kohler @ 2400 rpm. Trying to achieve the balance of splitter cycle time and cutting time is the trick.  Having a 3 second cut time is nice, but somewhat wasted if you have a 12 second splitter cycle time.

Are you going to run one section for the splitter only?

Lazy logger

That was my thought, One section dedicated to the splitter and the other running the saw and feed tables. The hyd. shop calculated the cycle time to just under 6 sec. for the splitter so I want to make sure it's cutting fast enough to keep up.

snowstorm

i saw an ad on uncle henrys .com under construction for a saw from a delimber. it read like everything was there. motor valves everything

Lazy logger

Thanks for the info I will check on it.

Thank You Sponsors!