iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where are the ticks

Started by David-L, September 22, 2014, 07:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Been farming and working in the woods all summer. My timber lot is next to a large reservoir in central ,mass and is know to be tick heaven. Been vegetable growing and putting up hay, cutting timber and cordwood in prime tick habitat, and since June or so it is like all the ticks have disappeared. Have not picked one off the dog in months and wondering if anyone else is noticing the same thing and has a answer. I always pay attention to the tick stuff as I have been treated two times for Lyme. I also do quite a bit of deer scouting this time of year , and again no ticks? Any thoughts gentlemen.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

clww

I've only had two on me this year, and glad of it. As long as they are somewhere else, I'm fine with that!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lynde37avery

oh they are up this way. had one on my last night on my leg. and in july i had one somewhere else i had to pick off.
Detroit WHAT?

Maine logger88

I haven't had one on me all summer not complaining tho
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

LeeB

How many you want? I can send you millions.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CCC4

Yeh, they stacked up in the Durty Souff I think! LOL!

treeslayer2003

i ain't had many...........i think they just tired of eatin me lol.

Southside

We have been collecting and breeding them down here this year, waiting for just the right moment to send them all back.   :D :D  Without getting in trouble with Jeff I can't mention where I discovered one earlier this summer. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JoeB

Was thinking the same thing @ last nite's shower........
Then I thought of the darned wild turkeys they stocked.
Counted 31 this evening as they "launched" them selves in the trees for the evening.

Holmes

Davd-L I was thinking the same thought this weekend.  I been out fetching wood the last few weekends , no ticks and the "Little Woman" { oh how she loves that term  :D} has not taken any off the dogs in a couple of months.  Then again only a few blue berries and a few apples on the old wild trees.  Last year the apples were plentiful.
Think like a farmer.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

David-L

Thanks for the replies, sounds like south of here there are plenty which is a pain. only thing I can come up with being a farmer is the lower than usual heat index for this area and we are in a bit of a rain deficit where I live in central mass. The winter was cold but still seeing plenty of Hemlock with wooly algide, maybe the cold had a different effect on the ticks I hope. Anyways I am not missing them at all.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

goose63

We had a few here but not like last year when you could pick ticks off all day long. hope thy don't come back
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

red

My neighbor will take All the credit with his Loud Stupid Guinea hens
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Woodboogah

My dad and I just had this conversation coming out from hunting the other night.  We hunt closer to the seacoast of NH which is in the red zone for ticks for the state.  Any other year you can get in your stand and expect to pick half a dozen or so ticks off of you.  Haven't picked one off me this season, yet.  No complaints but it makes you wonder.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

JJ

My guess is last winters continuous Arctic vortexes wiped them out.
Haven't seen but one tick, and have not had to treat either of my dogs for fleas this summer.

JJ

JohnM

Spring/early summer there seemed to be quite a few, for around here at least, haven't seen any for 6-8 weeks or more.  Had a couple crawling on me and one actually latch on to my daughter (2yr old), on her shoulder.  All dog ticks, but the bite mark on her shoulder is still there, never any symptoms of Lyme though luckily.  Very dry around here, guessing that helps.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

bill m

Early in the spring I found a couple while out doing trail work. Since then I haven't found any. While in the woods logging I never find ticks.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ron Scott

I've had my share of them this spring and summer. Not so bad right now.
~Ron

thecfarm

Was no ticks here.They showed up about 10 years ago?? Most I found was 4 on me,at diffeant times,in one year. My FIL just KNEW we had ticks. He found them all the time on the dogs at his place,about ½ hour away. I told him we don't have any ticks. I knew he never found any on the dogs,or he would of told me that I was wrong and he was right.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

whitepine2

No ticks here to speak of only two in springtime also not many June bugs this year as well as butterfly's. Only found one tomato worm which is very unusual. Found droppings from one but never found
worm,don't know if birds got them or what. Many turkeys around
I think they must eat ticks as well,just been a good year as bugs go
don't know if this is a good thing or not must be some reason for this. Plenty of deer seven eating on alfalfa every nite gone as we cut forth cutting last week,smart little buggers.

thecfarm

You are right about the tomato worms. I never knew what those was 5 years ago. I had no cucumber beetles this year. But the Japanese beetles was here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Got my first tick on me last week, little bugger tried to get in my ear  >:( .
Ed K

whitepine2

Quote from: thecfarm on September 24, 2014, 05:09:35 AM
You are right about the tomato worms. I never knew what those was 5 years ago. I had no cucumber beetles this year. But the Japanese beetles was here.
[/q
You are right on cucumber beetles this year. We had a few Japanese
this year but nothing like last year. We always had tomato worms
a-plenty but not this year makes one wonder why.

timberlinetree

Same here! I think the ticks got ticked off and left! :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!