iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gasket material question

Started by luvmexfood, September 22, 2014, 07:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

I have a metal tube that connects to the preassure side of the hydraulic pump. It basically bolts on to the top through an attached fitting that can best be described as having two "ears" on it for the bolts to go thru. Supposed to be an O-Ring that prevents leakage. Replaced the pump awhile back and starting to get leakage. When I replaced the pump I ordered a package of new O-Rings. Problem was that several came in the package, some almost the same size, and none sized.

Can anyone recommend a good tube type gasket compound that I can squirt around the fitting as a temp fix. Can stand a small amount of leakage but getting too much. Drip, drip, drip, .
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Jhenderson

Nothing will seal that except the correct o ring. If you remove the fitting and use an rtv type sealer some is bound to get into the system. That will cause many sleepless nights. Save yourself a bunch of trouble. Take the pump or the fitting to the hydraulic shop and get the right part.

Lazy logger

Luvmexfood, Go to your local atv/snowmobile dealer and ask for a tube of crankcase sealer. Depending on the brand they sell it will be called three-bond,yama-bond, or moto-seal. Only these names will work, if they try to sell you something else don't get it. We use it to seal crankcases that don't use gaskets. Two rules apply. First the area must be clean and dry NO OIL at all. Second let it dry 10-15 minutes before assembly. Use it with your best fitting o-ring. This stuff really works well but as most would agree there is no good replacement for a proper fitting o-ring. Hope this helps.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

snowstorm

Quote from: Jhenderson on September 22, 2014, 08:14:48 PM
Nothing will seal that except the correct o ring. If you remove the fitting and use an rtv type sealer some is bound to get into the system. That will cause many sleepless nights. Save yourself a bunch of trouble. Take the pump or the fitting to the hydraulic shop and get the right part.
like he said but the right part

Jamie_C

You have what is called a 4 bolt flange or just flange type fitting ... the fitting that goes under the clamps has a recess in it to accept an o-ring ... do yourself a favor and buy an o-ring kit, a new o-ring is the only thing that will seal that and it is by far the cheapest fix as well.

thenorthman

I get it...

RTV black, smear as much as you can into the O-ring groove, snug the fitting down wait till cure and snug it a bit more.

Its a temporary fix...  sometimes things can't be fixed right so you do what you can until you can do it right.

Barring that a bit of cork type gasket material and get creative.
well that didn't work

Southside

Not in any way putting down the alternative suggestions, but I have tried things like that in the past, my experience has been that the time and money spent was wasted.  If you were trying for a fix just to say get a machine out of a hole or lift a blade that was wedging you in place, with the intention of fixing it as soon as you were out of trouble, then OK, but to plan to work for any time is asking for trouble. 

I keep a metric and SAE O-ring kit in my machine at all times, there were about $20 each and have 100's of o-rings in a ton of sizes, I will never use them all, but when I need one I have it, or two or three as it is not uncommon to drop and loose one or cut it when working the hose back into a tight spot.  Fitting O-rings is about as frustrating as exhaust parts!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

luvmexfood

Quote from: Southside logger on September 22, 2014, 09:24:39 PM
Not in any way putting down the alternative suggestions, but I have tried things like that in the past, my experience has been that the time and money spent was wasted.  If you were trying for a fix just to say get a machine out of a hole or lift a blade that was wedging you in place, with the intention of fixing it as soon as you were out of trouble, then OK, but to plan to work for any time is asking for trouble. 

I keep a metric and SAE O-ring kit in my machine at all times, there were about $20 each and have 100's of o-rings in a ton of sizes, I will never use them all, but when I need one I have it, or two or three as it is not uncommon to drop and loose one or cut it when working the hose back into a tight spot.  Fitting O-rings is about as frustrating as exhaust parts!!

Anytime I get something small like an o-ring or copper washer I usually get an extra unless it is something expensive. My saying is "one to use and one to lose". Couple of bucks, got a spare if needed and if lost the money in gas to the parts store will more than cover the cost.

luvmexfood

Finally got the metal hydraulic tube off today. 9 bends in 5 ft. Had to take a couple other things off to get it off. Had to drive 30 minutes to next town to a hydraulics shop who said that had an o-ring for anything. Got one close but just a little larger in diameter but should work. Started trying to fish it back in place but thought it would be better to work on it in the morning. Sort of like a rubiks cube trying to get it back in place. Fresh mind not stressed.

Had a couple of other issues today so thought I would do better in the morning. May go fall some trees for awhile till it warms up then come in and work on that plus another tractor. Sometimes I just get too aggravated to easy. Best then to just wait a day or too. If not, make sure a hammer is not around.

gspren

If you have an O-ring that is the right thickness but too big in diameter they can be shortened. Use a razor blade or sharp knife to cut a piece out and re attach with super glue. O-ring material is sold in rolls specifically to make custom sizes this way. DON'T shorten too much.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

luvmexfood

Quote from: gspren on September 29, 2014, 07:14:02 PM
  If you have an O-ring that is the right thickness but too big in diameter they can be shortened. Use a razor blade or sharp knife to cut a piece out and re attach with super glue. O-ring material is sold in rolls specifically to make custom sizes this way. DON'T shorten too much.

Never heard of that but thanks for the info. Went to a hydraulics shop in a nearby town that had one the correct diameter but just a tad thick. Got a couple (one to use and one to loose) and it seems to be holding now.

They had a unique system to me anyway for keeping up with their o-rings. They kept each size in an envelope with a paper attached with all the info for it. How many to keep in inventory, where to reorder etc. Then the envelopes were placed in a file folder, some with more than one size but grouped according to some spec. and then stored in file cabinets. Pretty neat set-up.

clww

That's about the same way I did it when I ran a hydraulics shop in the USN, too. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!