iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting cookies this month

Started by tule peak timber, September 22, 2014, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Seems like things run in streaks, and this month it's cookies. A few pics from around the mills today Rob.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Joe Hillmann

What is the plan for the big ones?  They look very unstable.

tule peak timber

Joe ,they will be finished out as counter tops for a customer.

Seaman

Rob, those are big ! Sometimes when I cut cookies the bar climbs a little, with the same chain that rips straight. Ever have that happen?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

tule peak timber

Climbing is a sign something is wrong with your tooth geometry. I'll check tomorrow but I think the grind we are using is actually a little off spec but rips AND cross cuts spectacularly .Have we had trouble in the past with geometry- you betcha ya ! Learning from mistakes is how we operate around here LOL.......

Delawhere Jack

The surgeon general recommends that you consume no more than 1 mega cookie per week, due to calorie content.  :D

kelLOGg

I ask this question every chance I get. How do you keep them from splitting? You have pallet full of oreos and the climate looks very dry which would accelerate drying (cracking) on every one if I cut them. What's your secret?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tule peak timber

KelLog, Epoxy, how you use it , and when . Not to be cryptic, but these larger rounds will go to the kiln this week , then to a multi week process with different epoxies , fillers , then shot with conversion varnish and rubbed out to a low sheen. Will they split , yes , then I deal with it .... Rob

drobertson

the secret is out!  super glue, believe it or not!  nice cookies rob!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

YellowHammer

I use this visual aid to explain to customers why the cookies I saw for them will try to split due to drying stresses.
Here is a poplar cookie, cut perpendicular to the log, one inch thick, and as soon as I milled it I took a circular saw an made a single cut from the edge to the center.  As the cookie dried, the saw kerf widened up and now looks like a pie wedge is missing. 
Yh
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mikeb1079

Quotethe saw kerf widened up and now looks like a pie wedge is missing. 

maybe pac man ate a piece.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ianab

That "pie with a piece missing" also gives a clue as to how to make a cookie table.

Cut 2 (or 3) cookies, and make a saw cut like YH has in each one, and put them up to dry. They will certainly shrink in the way shown, but because there is a straight cut, that opens up, with a fairly straight edge, and the rest of the wood shouldn't split apart.  Once dry you take your middle piece and cut out a couple of wedges to glue in the gap. The grain will match up pretty close because the pieces came from consecutive slices, and because the wood is now dry, future movement will only be small.  Glue it all up with epoxy and carry on.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

tule peak timber,you have got some cookies there!!  And than some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Quote from: Ianab on September 23, 2014, 12:42:43 AM
That "pie with a piece missing" also gives a clue as to how to make a cookie table.

Cut 2 (or 3) cookies, and make a saw cut like YH has in each one, and put them up to dry. They will certainly shrink in the way shown, but because there is a straight cut, that opens up, with a fairly straight edge, and the rest of the wood shouldn't split apart.  Once dry you take your middle piece and cut out a couple of wedges to glue in the gap. The grain will match up pretty close because the pieces came from consecutive slices, and because the wood is now dry, future movement will only be small.  Glue it all up with epoxy and carry on.

Ian

Great info - thanks Ian!

YH - good visual - thx!

Rob, I always love your posts!  After seeing that photo, I think that I'll start referring to you as the "cookie monster"!  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

21incher

Nice stack of cookies, and I thought everything was bigger in Texas :)!
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Madrone flavored cookies today. Rob

hackberry jake

It looks like that came from an OLD log.  smiley_old_guy
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tule peak timber

This log has been in my log deck about 8-9 months.....

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

tule peak timber

No very little....Grows up north and at 5$ per mile to get it here most  ends up not coming. I can get plenty ,,,,,just a matter of $$$$$$$. This was just one of two logs I bought from a freeway by-pass project consisting of mostly Valley Oaks, Quercus Lobata.

js2743

Looks like you found a clock in the big one.

golddredger

I scored some madrone last summer. Brought it home in 8ft logs 36" dia. Coated the ends very well and put it in the shade along with my oaks. Came back to grab an oak one month later and the madrone looked like a bomb went off inside of them. Full checks all the way through the logs big splits all the way around. Junk as far as I was concerned. I cut it into fire wood. What's the trick? I see your slice has the small outside checks all the way around. Within a few days those would be clear to the center for me even coating and keeping in a cool spot. Any tips. The wood when fresh cut is awesome. I was going to make some tables with it. Hope to try again. I can get all the madrone I want but have not after that first go around.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

tule peak timber

Golddregger, You have weather conditions similar to my location... You must run a rain-bird on your log deck , every day. Madrone is problematic , right from the start so I only cut and sell 4/4 as I have good luck with it. Thicker tends to warp badly, sticker stain, and is a real insect magnate. Thicker boards need to be slaked a second time before going into my secondary shop. It is a twisty tree that grows on mountainsides after all. Modest drying rates.... Attached pics are of a table I recently built for a certain TV guy. Cheers  Rob

hackberry jake

Certain TV guy... now you're just teasing us.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tule peak timber

More Madrone today. This piece is 34 inches at the narrowest spot. Pretty stuff.. Rob

Thank You Sponsors!