iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gonna have to get more automated

Started by lyle niemi, September 22, 2014, 05:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Because I hurt my back again this week >:( Working a mill by yourself is not an easy job when you do it every day. I think I'll start hunting for a more modern circle mill with more bells and whistles :new_year:

beenthere

lyle
Sorry to hear that.
Did you do something specific to hurt the back, or just everything in general creeping up on you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lyle niemi

Quote from: beenthere on September 22, 2014, 05:27:47 PM
lyle
Sorry to hear that.
Did you do something specific to hurt the back, or just everything in general creeping up on you?
thot I had a strong back and weak mind, now I have a weak back and a weak mind..lol I think every thing in general crept up on me, prolly be good to go again in a few days. Tomorrow I'll go run cat to give my body a rest

Ron Wenrich

Get an automatic, maybe with a vertical edger.  Then, run everything onto a green chain and sort it out when it gets full.  I know one guy that was going to do it that way, and he was around mills all his life. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

It'll be pretty DanG hard for one person to automate his way out of lifting and labor.   What we've found is that the more lagor saving devices we've installed ends up being more production and more production ends up creating more manual labor.  Say you're sawing 1mbf a day on your total manual mill.  Add decks,  green chains, dust blower,  an edger or better edger. Now you saw 2mbf a day.  You still have to sort it, rack it and stack it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

lyle niemi

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 22, 2014, 07:01:52 PM
It'll be pretty DanG hard for one person to automate his way out of lifting and labor.   What we've found is that the more lagor saving devices we've installed ends up being more production and more production ends up creating more manual labor.  Say you're sawing 1mbf a day on your total manual mill.  Add decks,  green chains, dust blower,  an edger or better edger. Now you saw 2mbf a day.  You still have to sort it, rack it and stack it.
That is very true, Im using a lot of muscle power on the sawyers side so Im thinking ...log turner, air dogs and live roll way and a good seat...LOL

backwoods sawyer

I like the seat idea 8)

There are things that can be done to make everthing more efficiant down stream. Both live rolls and dead rolls saves lifting.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Cypress Man

I say Bibbyman hit the head on the nail. I totally agree!!!
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

woodworker9

Lyle

I know how you feel.  I've been working hard and lifting heavy my whole life, and now, just few days shy of my 50th trip around the sun, I feel it every morning when I wake up.  Sitting is the worst, as everything just stiffens up.

I try to ward off evil aging by doing a lot of good stretching every day.  It helps, but so does the bottle of advil.

Hope you feel better soon.  I like your circle mill setup.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

dgdrls

Quote from: lyle niemi on September 22, 2014, 05:23:20 PM
Because I hurt my back again this week >:( Working a mill by yourself is not an easy job when you do it every day. I think I'll start hunting for a more modern circle mill with more bells and whistles :new_year:

Sorry to hear about your back,  any particular mills your considering?

Best
DGDrls

bandmiller2

Lyle, if you can see your business expanding and larger future demands by all means modernize. If you don't want to expand, work smarter, and think before you do something. Your a handy lad and I'am sure you can ease the load with some hydraulic helpers. With age we are supposed to work smarter and protect our assets. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bert

Depending on what you are sawing I would think about it longer. If your in big and long wood most of the time then automatic is the way to go. If its short 5' to 10' wood and less than 20" diameter stay with the  frick. We run both a frick and a cmc automatic and the frick will shame the automatic on smaller stuff. One flip by hand is way faster than flipping the log stop, raising the turner advancing the chain etc. If you had a big crew then automatic is nice, but for a one or two guy show I say stay in the action. Sitting is nice, but so is moving after awhile.
Saw you tomorrow!

Dave Shepard

I haven't seen Lyle saw anything small. A lot of really heavy looking planks and timbers. Eliminating any handling at the saw is going to save you a lot of back ache. A green chain on the outflow will also be great. I see you are getting rid of your slabs without handling them. When I did that at my mill, it greatly extended my sawing time. Having your lumber on a green chain will save having to pick it up off the ground. That's another back breaker. I agree that going with an automatic mill gives you more production, but that doesn't mean you have to produce it. If you can do your days sawing in four hours and take the rest of the day to handle your products and waste, that is easier on your back than taking six hours to saw, and only having two to clean up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

log turner, air dogs and live roll way and a good seat sound like good back savers ;)

I agree with a long green chain and rolls for sorting and bin at the end for those you don't want to handle.

What are your thoughts on a log turner? Just a set of "Bull pins", a "Flipper" or a "Chain turner" or??

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

lyle niemi

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 26, 2014, 03:34:21 PM
log turner, air dogs and live roll way and a good seat sound like good back savers ;)

I agree with a long green chain and rolls for sorting and bin at the end for those you don't want to handle.

What are your thoughts on a log turner? Just a set of "Bull pins", a "Flipper" or a "Chain turner" or??
I am thinking a chain turner, I have some 100 chain out of a new Holland baler that would work great. I just got to get back into the building mode again

lyle niemi

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 26, 2014, 03:16:31 PM
I haven't seen Lyle saw anything small. A lot of really heavy looking planks and timbers. Eliminating any handling at the saw is going to save you a lot of back ache. A green chain on the outflow will also be great. I see you are getting rid of your slabs without handling them. When I did that at my mill, it greatly extended my sawing time. Having your lumber on a green chain will save having to pick it up off the ground. That's another back breaker. I agree that going with an automatic mill gives you more production, but that doesn't mean you have to produce it. If you can do your days sawing in four hours and take the rest of the day to handle your products and waste, that is easier on your back than taking six hours to saw, and only having two to clean up.
BINGO !!!

lyle niemi

Quote from: Bert on September 26, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
Depending on what you are sawing I would think about it longer. If your in big and long wood most of the time then automatic is the way to go. If its short 5' to 10' wood and less than 20" diameter stay with the  frick. We run both a frick and a cmc automatic and the frick will shame the automatic on smaller stuff. One flip by hand is way faster than flipping the log stop, raising the turner advancing the chain etc. If you had a big crew then automatic is nice, but for a one or two guy show I say stay in the action. Sitting is nice, but so is moving after awhile.
I saw everything but Im finding that the 2x4s arnt selling very good, at least this summer they didn't ???

lyle niemi

Quote from: dgdrls on September 25, 2014, 05:26:21 PM
Quote from: lyle niemi on September 22, 2014, 05:23:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your back,  any particular mills your considering?

Best
DGDrls

I don't have a clue on what kind of mill to find???

Ianab

QuoteI don't have a clue on what kind of mill to find???
Seen these mills?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fkCs_zh9Us

No log handling, board drag back to the operator position etc. So they are actually practical to operate alone.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

Quote from: Ianab on September 26, 2014, 06:37:54 PM
QuoteI don't have a clue on what kind of mill to find???
Seen these mills?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fkCs_zh9Us

No log handling, board drag back to the operator position etc. So they are actually practical to operate alone.

Exactly what I was thinking ;)

DGDrls

BCsaw

You don't need a new saw, you need to do YOGA! :D :D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!