iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CBN Sharpener questions

Started by flatrock58, September 21, 2014, 09:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Well I am waiting on a new fan I ordered so no sawing till it comes in.  Had to get the radiator repaired and noticed the fan was in bad shape.  So while I am waiting I am going to try and do some sharpening with the CBN since I now have Wm cutting oil.  I have read the manual and have everything adjusted for a light grind.

I see that the tray is filled with oil and assume you lose some as the blade is being sharpened.  One question I have is do you drain the oil after every sharpening?  If so can you keep reusing that oil over and over?  I know the magnets collect metal shaving, but do you need to filter it for dirt and rust?

Steve
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

beenthere

For the oil recovery, look back and try to find Bibbyman's setup where he has some settling trays that catch filings/grindings, and may have some magnets involved. Clever design, IIRC.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

I don't filter mine except with the magnets.  Gets pretty dark. Don't think it hurts the pump any.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

flatrock58

Thanks for the advise guys.  I looked back at Bibbymans mods and need to try and incorporate some of them soon.  I used the CBN for the first time and got 10 blades sharpened.  It all worked pretty good.  Will find out how well they cut soon!  I just drained the oil and filtered it into a jug for later use.

I really appreciate all the help getting my WM back in shape and ready to saw.  I have about 8 trees that are turning brown from beetles that need to be cut next week.

Steve
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Peter Drouin

This is what I have.

You can't have too many magnets. I hot glued them to underside to keep them out of the oil. Easy to clean that way. When the oil goes through the 2 hoses  just before it comes out, Look to see if little sparkles in the oil . If you do you need more magnets . In time the steel will were out the pump.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

flatrock58

Nice setup Peter!  I can't see your pump in the pictures.  is it in the bottom tray?  I need to add more magnets for sure.  I can't believe how many filings were on the magnets after sharpening only 10 blades.

Steve
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

highleadtimber16

Steve, When I asked Woodmizer, Gary said he leaves the oil in his sharpener for almost a year. He doesn't sharpen a lot of blades, but the oil won't go bad sitting. Good luck. Sharpening can be tricky if you've never done it before!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: flatrock58 on September 22, 2014, 11:05:54 PM
Nice setup Peter!  I can't see your pump in the pictures.  is it in the bottom tray?  I need to add more magnets for sure.  I can't believe how many filings were on the magnets after sharpening only 10 blades.

Steve

Yes, In the bottom up on a steel plate that comes with it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

flatrock58

highleadtimber16  I was just thinking that if I don't drain the oil would be full of bugs and blown leaves and dirt since it is in my hay barn.  For now I do not have a nice place inside to sharpen.  I was trying not to take too much off when sharpening but did notice on some blades that the gullet farthest away from the tooth did not seem to be getting ground much.  Not sure if the angle could be off slightly, but would not think so since the grinder head assembly is pinned in place.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Peter I read somewhere in another post that the pump has a hard time starting when down lower.  Is that a problem as long as you leave oil in the tube?

Steve
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

terrifictimbersllc

Even after four years of sharpening, I've taken to using the red layout fluid consistently when I sharpen.  It seems that there's about only one perfect combination of advance  and depth settings where the wheel will grind  both the face and the back of the tooth completely.  It is otherwise difficult to see even with a magnifying glass whether the face of the tooth has been ground.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Quote from: flatrock58 on September 23, 2014, 09:12:33 AM
Peter I read somewhere in another post that the pump has a hard time starting when down lower.  Is that a problem as long as you leave oil in the tube?

Steve

NO, Only on cold days, Then I turn on the heat. ;D

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 23, 2014, 09:40:22 AM
Even after four years of sharpening, I've taken to using the red layout fluid consistently when I sharpen.  It seems that there's about only one perfect combination of advance  and depth settings where the wheel will grind  both the face and the back of the tooth completely.  It is otherwise difficult to see even with a magnifying glass whether the face of the tooth has been ground.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

flatrock58

I will have to get some layout fluid.  Where did you get that terrifictimberllc?
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

terrifictimbersllc

Came with my sharpener from WM.  Assuming I can order more from WM when I need it. Just googled "dykem steel red layout" and found many sources online, including through Amazon.

flatrock58

I found some after looking online.

Thanks.

Steve
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Bluejay27

I've actually got a solution for the cold flow issue. Take a 150w oil pan heater pad, hook it to a good chunk of aluminum (I have a mini fridge heatsink) and dunk that in the oil. I did this last winter, although I had hooked it to the aluminum drawer. It worked fine, expect you need to seal the edges and cord area with red RTV silicone. Just in case, I also plug the heater (actually, the whole sharpener) into a GFCI adapter.

I ended up modifying the set up though, so now the oil doesn't stay in the top drawer and the plastic bin I'm using probably wouldn't like having the heater glued to it. Hence the heat sink.

150w isn't a lot, but the oil gets to 70°F around the pump, enough to start flowing. The Little Giant 1A pumps are centrifugal, so they don't pump thick fluid uphill well. Although I have a solution to that too. I added a second 1A pump, which isn't really the solution. But since one pump is run constantly (just plugged into an extension cord, not into the controls), I had to add a check valve on the other motor so it wouldn't just pump through that one. I also smartened up later and gave each one a separate oil line up to the aluminum block, which kind of makes the check valve unnecessary.

But the actual solution from all this is that the check valve holds the oil in one of the pump lines. This way, it doesn't have to pump all the way up and siphoning keeps the flow going. And because the second pump has no check valve, the first one can prime that pump.

I've also got a unique way of filtering the oil, but this is already too much for one post. But I will say that the metal filings start to plug the oil lines and especially the further away of the two small oil holes on the aluminum block.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

terrifictimbersllc

I just put a small soldering iron in the oil pan when it's cold, works great for me.

Peter Drouin

I just turn on the heat, Me the oil and blades are all warm. :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bluejay27

I spent too much money on the sharpener and it's cheaper to just add another layer of clothes. I'm bundled up under a Tyvek space suit, so I'm actually pretty warm. At least once the oil warms up. Until then, my hands are frozen. I wear nitrile gloves and thicker nitrile coated gloves over those, so it takes a while just to warm the gloves enough to actually be able to move my fingers. At least the respirator keeps my face warm. Ya, I'm all about safety, and I hate having oily hands. Probably from being a mechanic because I know the oil won't come off for a while and in the mean time it will get on every tool I've ever held dear.

And unfortunately, with the shed I set up the sharpener in, I'm just lucky to have power. It used to be a wood shed until the sawmill made storing firewood unnecessary, but at least it has lighting. And a toolbox, an awful, oily toolbox.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Thank You Sponsors!