iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accuset Program Option

Started by Kirk_Allen, July 25, 2004, 10:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

During last weeks cutting I had numerous ocasoins where the customer would pull out boards that he simply wanted cut perfectly in half, or in thirds.  After crunching the numbers on the calculater I could do it but I think that if I cut have simiply put a down-set tooth onthe top of the board and then hit a single pre-programed button for 1/2 or thirds it would have saved me a bunch of time.

This is not the first time that I would have liked to have this.  I think the 1/2 option would be used the most but not sure, as I still dont have 400 hours on my mill.

Thanks in advance.

Bibbyman

We've not had that kind of request come up.  Maybe not had the kind of customer that decided after the fact that they wanted to half or third boards.  

We have done a bit of re-sawing but normally discourage it as it's difficult to get a board to lie flat on a bed to clamp it without weighing it down – especially if it's been sawn for a while.   I think the last re-sawing we did was ... we'd sawed out some 6x6 posts per the customer's requests but after he got them,  he decided they were too heavy   and had us re-saw them to 5x5s. (That was after he'd loaded them up and took them home and unloaded them that he decided they were too heavy. So he reloaded them back up and returned and unloaded them again.  They are still setting on our lot waiting for him to come and load them back up again.  We're not dealing with a stable person here.)

The only time we split things in half in any volume is,  farmers will bring cedar posts and want them split in half to use in building a corral fence.   But we just go to manual mode and approximate the centers by eye.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

I thought it would be a simple option for WM to add to the Accuset and now I know I could use it.  Another call this morning from a local that wants old barn posts cut in thirds.  

Yes I can measure and eyeball but it would be great to offer the precision the accuset is based on for this type of job.

I cant find a down side to haveing this option...................other than the WM doesnt currently have a programer.  The past programer is no longer with them so I dont expect any changes of any kind for a while.  

Gary_C

When I got my mill, Setworks was the best they had and I was happy with that until John Hicks gave me a demo of Accuset at a show. Now I wan't one, but no trade ins and it costs so much that I just get along with what I have for now. Maybe I will trade my LT 40HDD33 to an LT 70.

When I originally bought my LT40, I did not get the Super version because I expected to be mostly sawing for others by the hour and the faster up-down and board return was unnecessary. Now I am doing more logging, have plenty to saw, and have a lot less time to saw. I wish I had that speed now as it bugs me to have to wait on the up-down.

We are just never happy with what we have!!!

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bibbyman

Gary,

The good thing about there is someone out there that would love to have your LT40HDD33.  You really won't be out that much to sell the LT40 and move up to a Super or LT70.

Kirk,

I'm not against adding a 1/2, 1/3 feature...  I just haven't seen the need for one.  If your poll had a "No opinion",  I'd probably picked it.

What I'd like to see on the Accuset .. is a number keypad you could key in the number you want and then tell it to got to it.  They've impoved the programming quite a lot in the latest version but it's steel a little clumsy running the numbers up and down with the arrow buttons to get the sets made.

I'd also like the key pad to have some "click" feel to it so you know you poked the button and it worked.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Bibbyman I aggree completly with the key pad idea and the click feel to the buttons.  It never fails I end up holding the button too long and have to go back the other way.  

Gilman

A touchpad would definitely be great. Along with buttons that clicked, chirped, barked, or made that old 70's computer sound.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kirk_Allen

Just out of curiosity if you voted NO could you exlpain why you would not want this option?

I can find no downside to it so I am interested in knowing the reasoning behind a NO vote.

Thanks
Kirk

Gilman

They probably wouldn't want to pay for the extra cost of this feature if they are either going to rarely use it or never use it.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!