iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

texture, how to make it and whats it called?

Started by hackberry jake, September 21, 2014, 04:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Me and the wife went to Branson, Mo for our anniversary and we checked out some crafts at Silver Dollar City. One of the more interesting visits was with the wood carvers. They had a lot of awesome woodwork on display. The wife and I really liked a texture that was seen on a few pieces. I would like to learn how to make that texture on my work. I took a LOT of pictures but the only one I could find with that texture was a little out of focus. It is of a mantle. Do you guys know how to make it?

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Delawhere Jack

Aranthcus? Maybe not. There was an episode of the Wood Wrights Shop on video.pbs.org where he had a guest, a woman from Georgia? who does carving. She gave a pretty detailed demonstration on how it's done.

Delawhere Jack

Can't get the link to insert. Here is it.

video.pbs.org/video/2365021474/

beenthere

Google "How to hand carve baroque wood moulding " and a few images and sites come up.

Not sure the style is baroque, but may be close.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

If I had to live only on milling income, I'd be baroque...... :D

Texas Ranger

CNC router, if you think that is cheating you have never finished one after the router
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Larry

Looks carved to me.  I've used a Dremel and a needle scaler to add texture in the past, but nothing that good.

Did you know Bella Vista has a active wood carving club?  They meet once a week and put on a few shows each year.  I went to one last year and Kathy with some of her friends went to one a few months ago.  I've sold basswood and catalpa to a couple of them.

http://bellavistawoodcarvers.org/index.htm

I bet they will have a exhibit at one of the craft fairs next month.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

The carving on the mantle looks like white oak leaves. It's oak, at any rate, as there are acorns. The background was chiseled away using a shallow gouge. The gouge numbers vary by region, but that would probably be a #3-ish about 3/4" or wider. I think that is technically bas relief.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

xlogger

would it hard to clean up after using a cnc tool? at my job I pickup lots of cnc tools from Shopbot Tools to be deliver all over the country. I don't use one but they also have one that's does 3-d. They are always trying to get me to get one and they would show me how to run it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Texas Ranger

I have hand carved and used a CNC, none of it is easy, the problem with the CNC starts with the wood used, the denser the wood the better the routing.  After that it is clean up with a chisel, and sanding.  When I was building doors I used a CNC to add character to the doors, it was easier to hand carve the little bit we did than set up the CNC, clean it up, and build the door.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DansSawmill

if your talking about the gouged background, you can make that with aspire by making a random texture with a 3 or 4 " ball bit. dont have to have the bit, just make the texture
like this post
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7050&p=49056&hilit=texture
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

Woodcarver

The carving appears to me to have been done with chisels and gouges, probably mallet tools.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

hackberry jake

I was just interested in the texture and not really the leaves. I would call it "scalloped" or divots or smething. I think I am going to get some wood carving gouges and try to duplicate it. I dont think I can afford aspire software and I imagine the cleanup time would take a while if the cnc router was used to do it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

It's easier than you might think, and sort of addicting. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodcarver

I agree with Dave.  Not difficult to learn, just takes a some practice. My wife and I certainly find it to be addictive. There are many good how-to books, videos and CD's available from Amazon and other on-line sellers and there also good carvers who have videos on YouTube.

As with any other form of woodworking, sharp tools are important.  Half the challenge with most beginning carvers is to learn to sharpen their tools properly.  I'm sure you know how to put an edge on steel, so you are already halfway there before you begin  :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Peter Drouin

Or you could wail it with a ball-peen hammer :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don_Papenburg

The ball peen hammer is not to far off as a lot of cheaper shallow moldings are made by" pressing ". You might want to experiment with a round object that has a handle that you can smack with a hammer to indent the wood  . Or you could use chain like fake antiquers do to distress wood.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

LaneC

I saw something like that done with a grinder. Like a hand held black and decker angle grinder. He had a course sanding disc on it and he would just bring it up to speed and kind of jab or bump it into the wood, lift it up, and jab or bump it into the wood again and again in a random pattern, and for different lengths of time. Hopefully I am describing it so you know what I mean. My description is not very good, but anywho, just rev it up, jam it into the wood and keep on doing that at random places and digging different depths. Hope it helps.
Man makes plans and God smiles

5quarter

The style is inspired by the American Aesthetic movement (C. 1880). As Dave says, Bas Relief. Background is a variation of spoon carving, also popular at the time. Get you a spoon plane and a few chisels and you'll be in business. Me, I'd like to figure out how to carve those handsome oak leaves.  :P
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

yukon cornelius

I recently bought a pantograph for my router. it will copy lettering or 3d items. I haven't tried any 3d yet but the thing was just $50 so it wasn't a huge risk of recovering my money. I don't think it would do those scallops but it would do the leaves
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!