iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

strangest objects you have found in a log- anyone have a hardware collection?

Started by mrbrb, September 20, 2014, 07:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrb

I'd like to do a 'sculpture project' with metal objects that have been found in logs.

My father, who is an arborist tells a story about going out to bid a job, clearing a woodlot that was formerly pasture land. Up in the crotch of a large tree he spotted Scythe (the figure of death, the grim reaper, is usually depicted holding a scythe), handle pointing down, the tree grown around the blade. He figures that a farmer had hung it there while taking a break from laboring, and had simply forgotten it.
A week or so later, while finishing up the same job, a branch that his climb gear was attached to snapped, and he nearly lost his life. (he's lucky to still climb trees at age 65)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has a collection of metal objects that have been extracted from saw logs? Any interesting stories?

Den-Den

I don't have a collection (yet) but do have a section of a 16 gauge double barrel that was in a walnut log; it destroyed a blade.  The same log also had a portion of a screwdriver that got another blade.  I suspect the screw driver had been used to hold up a target as I cut through several bullets also.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

yukon cornelius

ok so not a milling object but after cutting down a big hollow oak and as I start cutting it up, pack rats started  pouring out  :o
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

logboy

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

I hear you LB. I hit a chunk of cement, it had been formed into a crouch, An oldtimer said they patched wounded yard trees to keep rain water out.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

red oaks lumber

i found/ hit, pliers, ceramic insulator, musket ball, screw driver, chains, railroad spike. piles of nails and bullets.i had a collection but, it got to dipressing so i threw it away. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Saved a few for a while, then it just got old,  mostly fencing debris.  I did fuzz cut some 9mm bullets that were end to end in a walnut.  I took the tree down and know it was the third log up.  I figured the ole boy was shooting at some squirrels?  Oh yea the old tree stand spikes come about every now and again,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

A short forum search will bring up probably a dozen topics on the subject. There has been a lot of things grown into trees!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

logboy

I saw through quite a few bullets. The metal detector tells me what kind of metal it is so I don't waste time digging them out.   

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

tcg

Four large nails( 20 d I believe ), two lag screws and an one ceramic insulator all clustered together.
Needless to say so much for that rip chain. I now own a metal detector.

dyates

we found everything imaginable at the veneer mill.  The stainless maple taps and porcelain insulators were the worst.  They sneek right up you with no blue stain.
Daniel

Dave Shepard

I found a possum in a log once, but he moved on before we started sawing.  ;D I used to have a big coffee can full of eye bolts, roofing nails and insulators. The roofing nails are always in a pattern of four, about 6' up the butt log. ;) I call all them them FOIL, Found Object In Log.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_bb

There is another thread on here a year or two ago that had pics of a lot of the metal objects found. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

@dyates,welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have been around a sawmill before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dyates

Quote from: thecfarm on September 23, 2014, 05:07:38 AM
@dyates,welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have been around a sawmill before?
I bought logs and ran the yard for a veneer mill for 11 years.  I have now left that job to pursue my own business.  I'm still not sure that was a wise choice but time will tell.
Daniel

kevin19343

The 2 most common objects I find are nails from No Trespassing signs, and barbed wire.

Alligator

We bought a tract of timber off of Ft. Rucker that was by all indication behind a firing range. There were several hundred steel jacket 30.06 rounds in the but cuts. We finally gave up on the but cuts. Metal detectors in the 70s were expensive.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

boscojmb

The strangest thing that I have ever cut in to was a pad lock. No pictures. I didn't even try to cut it up for fire wood. It went straight back to the woods where it came from. My blades are longer and wider than most. This collection of junk  cost me $53.00  ;D
A year later and it still makes me mad :-\
Bullets are a pretty common and don't dull the blade.
Thanks,

John B.

Log-Master LM4

hunz

Was cutting a white pine log yesterday. After the opening cut, and before removing the slab, a ring neck black snake popped out of the side of the log. Let's say the logs have been sitting a while.....the snake was in a pine borer hole. I accidentally cut him in half :'( ;D
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

customsawyer

Two items that had me shake my head was some post hole diggers and part of another saw blade.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kindlinmaker

Not my find but AP news reported today that a WW II hand grenade exploded in a Gmuden, Austria wood stove.  Seems the grenade was complete encased in a piece of firewood.  Glass blew out but the stove absorbed the rest of the explosion.  Certainly trumps the occasional bits of metal and glass I find.
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Magicman

Just one old nail today, nothing exciting at all.  ::)  Got corrugated lumber ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

How about a. 1/2" twist drill bit In a pine log at the intersection of two city streets.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!