iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Event Hardware

Started by Gwhunter, September 20, 2014, 07:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwhunter

I'm new and in the market for a Woodmizer mill, I'm looking hard at the LT28 but also considering the LT15.
I've been wanting to catch Woodmizer at a fair demo and had a chance to see them today at the Celebrating Agriculture event at the Woodstock Fair Grounds in CT.
I was a bit disappointed as they only had a LT40 and weren't really demoing just using it as more of  a prop.
To be fair the event is rather small and there wasn't a huge crowd.
I'm going to the Fyreburg Fair in ME in two weeks and WM is also going to be there.

What are the odd they'll have more mills and demo's?

Thanks
Matt

dgdrls

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/ContactUs/USLocations/MaineASC.aspx

Give WM ME a call and see what they are hauling in,
maybe they will pull a 28 in to demo??

cant hurt to ask?

Best
DGDrls

bandmiller2

Matt, last time I was at Fryeberg fair they had only one mizer a LT-40 I believe. It was hard for them to get a lot of logs to the mill so they would take a couple of cuts and shut it down. Best would be to find someone local and spend a day helping them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

prittgers

You will be ever glad you bought a 28.  Just having the log at an easy working height is great.  You're back will last longer!  I started with a 15 and loved it.  But I should have started with a '28.  The portability is unparalleled.

WM has a 30 day guarantee that you will like it. 

Call Ross.  His web page is at http://www.woodmizer.com/us/ContactUs/USLocations/MaineASC.aspx

Tell him Parker said hello.  And the 28's are on sale for a few more weeks. 

Happy milling!

Parker
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

thecfarm

I have not been there for a while. But not a lot of room there. Thomas Bandsaw will be there too. I have no idea how much of a hurry you are. But in May there will be a woods expo at Bangor,Maine. Lots of sawmills wil be there.WM,Thomas,Norwood. Chesterville WM in Maine will also be doing one in April.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AnthonyW

Quote from: prittgers on September 20, 2014, 09:10:43 PM
You will be ever glad you bought a 28.  Just having the log at an easy working height is great.  You're back will last longer!  I started with a 15 and loved it.  But I should have started with a '28.  The portability is unparalleled.

WM has a 30 day guarantee that you will like it. 

Call Ross.  His web page is at http://www.woodmizer.com/us/ContactUs/USLocations/MaineASC.aspx

Tell him Parker said hello.  And the 28's are on sale for a few more weeks. 

Happy milling!

Parker

I have the LT28 predecessor, the LT25. Having the log at waist height is wonderful. I am working with a friend and the mill is set up on the slope of a hill (don't worry, it is stacked in and blocked). When the mill is level, the hitch is lower than the tail. To use the winch to load the logs, I have to sit on the ground. When working with the head toward the hitch end, there is a lot of bending and stooping. I can't imagine using an LT10 or LT15. I don't think I would be happy. Just my opinion. Take it as you want.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Gwhunter

I would think from a sales standpoint the LT10 and 15 would be a must for the road shows.
Lower price point and simplicity would attract a lot of potential sawyers I would think.
I'm looking to purchase a mill within the next 6-8 months. While the LT 40 is impressive, investing 25-30k seems like a harder sell to a broad audience while 7k seems like it would attract buyer who didn't even know they needed a mill :o.

Matt

thecfarm

@WDH is doing a mighty fine job with his LT15. There are alot of others members too that are using one.
I have a all manual mill. BUT I don't use it much. It's just for my own use.
When showing off the mills the smaller ones are not used much.  ;)   When the hyds ones are used,that's what wows the crowd.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Knute

I have had my LT28 for 4 yrs. and it has been a great mill for me.

47sawdust

I was at the Fryeburg fair 2 years ago and the WM display was quite small.Give Ross a call at WM of Maine,he can probably show you one of each or hook you up with an owner.
I had a stationary mill for 3 years and it was fine.I sold it after I purchased my LT30.While it is also set up stationary it is portable.If an attractive sawing job were to come along I could easily do it.Also the cantilevered head is way easier to work around than the Lt15
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Gwhunter

Quote from: 47sawdust on September 21, 2014, 12:47:01 PM
I was at the Fryeburg fair 2 years ago and the WM display was quite small.Give Ross a call at WM of Maine,he can probably show you one of each or hook you up with an owner.
I had a stationary mill for 3 years and it was fine.I sold it after I purchased my LT30.While it is also set up stationary it is portable.If an attractive sawing job were to come along I could easily do it.Also the cantilevered head is way easier to work around than the Lt15

The mobility is what really has me leaning towards a lt28. I'm looking to build a log home and pole barn so at this point it would just be for personal use but I can see a milling job coming up from time to time.
I'm going to take the suggestions to contact WM ME and see what they're bring to the show.

Additionally if there's any sawyers relatively local( I'm in NE CT) that would like an off bearer I'd be happy to help just to get my feet wet milling.

Matt

WDH

If you are going mobile, hydraulics are a necessity.  Manual mill and mobile sawing do not mix.  Like oil and water. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

GWHunter:
Call Ross @ 207-645-2072 in Chesterville and see if he has one in the yard, and maybe he would be willing to give you a private and close up demonstration.  When demonstrators go to shows they can only bring a limited amount of hardware or goodies with them, and may not bring what you are looking for. 
We picked up our mill at a show, but since it was already sold they had an incentive to bring it.
Someone suggested that you meet up with mill owners and get some experience that way.  I totally agree with that suggestion.  I did it with two fellow mill owners occassionally for 2 years.  Learned a lot.  Saw a few things I did not care for, but to each his own.  Got a lot of questions answered.  ETC.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Gwhunter

Quote from: WDH on September 21, 2014, 07:57:47 PM
If you are going mobile, hydraulics are a necessity.  Manual mill and mobile sawing do not mix.  Like oil and water.

The mobility quote I stated was misleading. I meant I intend to use it for personal use on several properties I have so trailering easy is a must. I've also got a loader with forks and grapple so I'm not concerned about loading issues.

I'm going to give WM ME a call this week and find out what they'll have at the show. I'll be up there on vacation so I won't be going to the WM shop most likely (actually will be staying in NH).

Peter Drouin

They have mills there, At the Fryeburg fair, I'm going to the Deerfield fair sat and ross will be there too.
But call them to see what will be there. 8)

The pics are from last year at the Deeefield fair. If you go be on the grounds by 9am or you will sit in traffic for Hrs :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Gwhunter

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 22, 2014, 09:03:33 PM

They have mills there, At the Fryeburg fair, I'm going to the Deerfield fair sat and ross will be there too.
But call them to see what will be there. 8)

The pics are from last year at the Deeefield fair. If you go be on the grounds by 9am or you will sit in traffic for Hrs :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the info and heads up!!

Matt ;D

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!