iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob_T

I'm only halfway through reading the 65 pages in this thread and I haven't had my mill (1992 LT30) long enough to learn how to use it, much less try and improve it but I did make a minor mod.

When I got the mill the blade guide roller adjustment arm was flopping all over, up down and left and right.  Every time I thought I was  making progress by adjusting the cam bolts per the manual, I'd turn something the wrong way and be back at square one.  I ended up engraving a line on the bolt heads marking the cam high points.  Now I at least have an idea where the cam high and low points are and which direction things are going to move when I make an adjustment.
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

Dave Shepard

What is the issue with two tanks? nn 950 hours and 9.5 years the only hydraulic issue I've had was one bad solenoid.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2017, 10:46:53 AM
What is the issue with two tanks? nn 950 hours and 9.5 years the only hydraulic issue I've had was one bad solenoid.

No matter what I have done to get the return oil to flow to both tanks evenly it doesnt work very good, so I get over flow out the vent cap on the outside pump/tank ALL the time. If some one has a hint that would help me out here I wouldn't bother. The return hoses and fitting are EXACTLY the same, but that doesnt seem to help much.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kbeitz

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on August 13, 2017, 11:03:03 AM

No matter what I have done to get the return oil to flow to both tanks evenly it doesnt work very good, so I get over flow out the vent cap on the outside pump/tank ALL the time. If some one has a hint that would help me out here I wouldn't bother. The return hoses and fitting are EXACTLY the same, but that doesnt seem to help much.

So what would happen if you closed that vent and then the oil would just go to the second tank ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

Flowing out of one vent is what happens when one pump isn't  working (for me has been total pump or solenoid failure).  Is it possible one of your pumps isn't pumping as fast as the other?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 13, 2017, 11:29:03 AM

Flowing out of one vent is what happens when one pump isn't  working (for me has been total pump or solenoid failure).  Is it possible one of your pumps isn't pumping as fast as the other?

I have tested the pump flow by disconnecting power from each pump separately and the hydraulics seem to be about the same on each pump.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

BigZ La

I would put a pressure gauge and run each pump separately under normal lineup. Find out if one is running higher pressure than the other, it could be something as simple as a plugged suction or a bad pump.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on August 13, 2017, 12:08:43 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 13, 2017, 11:29:03 AM

I have tested the pump flow by disconnecting power from each pump separately and the hydraulics seem to be about the same on each pump.
Have you examined the connections across the bottoms of the two pumps to see if the bore of the fittings and connecting hose is maximized?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nicefeller

Another thing to consider is the hose lengths. The longer hose will have more resistance to flow and the flow rate will decrease slightly. The only reason I mention legth is because I encountered a similar problem with fuel flow rates.

Bandmill Bandit

the hose length was the first thing I did a change up on and had a hose and T fitting made out of that slippery red silicone hose by the local Pumps and Pressure shop. Also made sure that the path they run is very smooth with no sharp bends.

They also did a pressure test with an electronic test system and pressure was within the spec range and with in 5 PSI of each other.

Have not checked the line that connects the tanks across the bottom. Didnt think of that one.

Thanks for the reminder terrific

DDW_OR

cleaning band blade before removal

before i take the dull blade off i idle down the engine to the lowest speed, then engage the blade clutch, then use an angle grinder with a wire wheel to remove any buildup on the band blade.
i do all of this while standing BEHIND the blade teeth.
"let the machines do the work"

pineywoods

JP clutch re-visited.  Local sawyer just back to sawing after some extensive surgery. Found he couldn't pull the clutch lever on his lt40 super. Them kubota diesel engines are heavy  ::) I remembered a post by member JP green about adding a helper spring to reduce the force needed to engage the clutch. We used a 6 inch long piece cut from a stretch type garage door spring. Wedge a couple of the coils apart and cut with a hand held grinder. Bending a hook on each end is a bit of a job. the bottom end hooks under the pin on the end of the brake band. Upper end hooks to a small eyebolt through a hole drilled behind the water tank. With the clutch engaged, there should be a little tension on the spring. Dis-engage the clutch and the spring will support some of the engine weight. Makes a big difference in the effort required to pull the clutch lever. Not as good as an autoclutch  option, but it would make a big difference if the old shoulder is showing some wear and tear.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pineywoods

Buck $1.98 redneck autoclutch for woodmizers.. Clutch lever too hard to pull for whatever reason ? Short piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and 6 foot of rope. Holes drilled in the pipe and rope attached. Return mill head all the way back to the hitch end. Drop the pipe down over knob on the clutch lever, the tie the other end to the hitch / sawshed post etc. Hold pipe in place with right hand and actuate forward lever. The head moves forward about 6 inches and pulls clutch lever nicely. The pipe will just pop off . Worked good for leroyC after a heart bypass...

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JB Griffin

Bandmill Bandit, did you ever fix your dual pump issue? Going to put another pump on mine and was wondering.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

Wow! an autoclutch for $1.98,that is truly a good deal.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bandmill Bandit

In the process right now. Changing the bottom pipe bungs on the tanks to 1.5 inch black pipe and will connect the tanks with 1.5 inch tube with a 1.5 Black T at center to allow for a good drain for the tanks.

Chuck White

That $1.98 autoclutch mod could really come in handy on those days when your shoulder needs a little help!    thumbs-up
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ljmathias

DDW: I don't use an angle grinder, that's too high tech for me. Instead, I keep a few 8" lengths of busted blade on the sawmill console and with the blade running full speed, carefully put a piece of busted blade down onto the moving one to scrap off the pine resin build up. Works like a charm as long as, as you said, you do it from the backside of the blade. Turns out I have to do this most anytime I'm cutting resin-full pine when even the pinesol blade drip doesn't keep up. Simplest solution I could come up for a really vexing problem cutting SYP.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 26, 2017, 06:39:35 PM
In the process right now. Changing the bottom pipe bungs on the tanks to 1.5 inch black pipe and will connect the tanks with 1.5 inch tube with a 1.5 Black T at center to allow for a good drain for the tanks.

???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 02, 2018, 07:54:31 PM
Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 26, 2017, 06:39:35 PM

???

Ended up with 1 1/8" ID silicon rubber tube across the bottom and it works well. have not had an issue since it is back up and running.

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

redbeard

the jugs that DEF comes in for the diesel truck are starting to pile up,
Hate tossing them because they fill so nice. Thought I would try them out on the saws.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

PAmizerman

I made this jig to use while edging 1" fiitches on the woodmizer. I can now use the hydraulic clamp to stand up a flitch and clamp it simultaneously. I like straight ling one edge of each flitch at a time so I know I can get the widest board possible. Once one edge is straight I lay it in it's respective pile that will make the target width. I tried a block between the clamp and flitch but didn't like using it. Pics and videos coming soon.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Thank You Sponsors!