iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on September 19, 2016, 09:19:21 AM
BB-- Very clever and one of the simpler mods we've seen you make. :)  So those get welded on as shown in your pic and you would switch back to the original holes when you do replace the brake strap?

Yes Mtn Man. AND if my calculations are correct it should get to about 85% worn when you need to replace the band. I did not calculate for the slight concave I filed into the top edge of the 2 tabs to get a better fit so may not get quite that close to worn out.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Dave Shepard

That doesn't make any sense at all. Any WM I've worked on had enough adjustment to wear through the steel and break the band in half.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bandmill Bandit

Well Dave maybe I am not doing something right BUT in 1700 hours I cant get the band past about 50 percent so if you can point out something I am missing I would sure appreciate it.

On this brake band I had it adjusted right to the top of the slot and my blade was starting to creep again. I had no room to tighten it more.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

pineywoods

Real easy to fix worn woodmizer brake bands. I just glued a piece of 2 inch wide leather belt on top of the worn lining. From one of my belts that had somehow shrunk in length  ::) Leather makes a nice friction surface...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Peter Drouin

Quote from: pineywoods on September 19, 2016, 09:19:06 PM
Real easy to fix worn woodmizer brake bands. I just glued a piece of 2 inch wide leather belt on top of the worn lining. From one of my belts that had somehow shrunk in length  ::) Leather makes a nice friction surface...

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bandmill Bandit

My last 2 FAOs getting done now.

No paint yet on this one. Will get a pic when painted and one of installed in place.

ChugiakTinkerer

They don't make leather like they used to.  My belts shrink a lot faster now than they did 30 years ago.   :o
Woodland Mills HM130

4x4American

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on September 21, 2016, 12:15:42 PM

They don't make leather like they used to.  My belts shrink a lot faster now than they did 30 years ago.   :o

Even our cattle are getting thin skined and politically correct  lol
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

These are the 2 middle FAO installs.

FAO pieces ready for paint.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

caveman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnQQ_9IgUY   

This afternoon I tinkered with adding a diesel drip to our LT-28.  Sometimes when sawing live oak or heart pine, the blade gets gummed up if we do not spray it with diesel.  A diesel drip should be a lot more efficient than using a spray bottle.  I have not tried it yet in a cut but the flow can be adjusted from nothing to a stream and anything in between.  The tubing deposits the fuel on the blade tips.  If it does not do adequately, I will make a mount to add a blade wipe.
Caveman

thecfarm

caveman,good idea. I have 2 shut offs on mine. One to turn it off and on and one to adjust the drip. And I do mean a SLOW DRIP.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

you can tell anyone who asks its for when your blade gets sick gotta give it medicine lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Caveman,

Thx for the timely posting. I just posted questions about blade cleaning and admit I have been resistant to using the diesel trick but my next job is sticky fresh cut WP so I may change my mind. My DIL is a nurse and my daughter works at a hospital so either or both should be able to get me an IV drip bag for such a set up. How do you fill the bag BTW? Do you have to inject it in there somehow?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fishfighter

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on September 21, 2016, 07:46:43 PM
These are the 2 middle FAO installs.

FAO pieces ready for paint.

Were did you buy those jacks at? Great improvement for the foot print. 8)

Bandmill Bandit

I got them from Iron works industries in Manitoba.

http://www.ironworksindustries.com/jacks-direct.html

I used the 5K ones. If I had to do it again I would order the inner jack parts and make my own exterior tube. The last 2 I did that as those 2 need some form factor mods that i couldnt do with the OEM tubes.

Those jacks work extremely well.   

caveman

Quote from: 4x4American on November 14, 2016, 05:25:33 AM
you can tell anyone who asks its for when your blade gets sick gotta give it medicine lol lol
Well, I considered taking a large syringe and a needle to withdraw some diesel from our squirt bottle and inject it into the iv bag but decided for the prototype that cutting a small hole in the top corner of the bag would be adequate to pour diesel into the bag from the spray bottle that normally hangs on the other side of the mill by the clutch handle.  I may add a clothes pin to keep the corner folded shut.  This thing is as simple as a rock but should do the job.  I may hang a bag from the left side of the mill with the diesel tube zip tied to the water lube tube just to make opening and closing the flow valve more convenient.

Last week when sawing live oak, the blade would get residue on it regardless of how much water/soap we used and the resulting boards were coated with powdery sawdust.  When cutting with no water and an occasional spray from the diesel bottle the blade stayed clean and the resulting boards were laser flat with very little sawdust adhering to them. 
Caveman

YellowHammer

I've got a WM drag back table, and never liked the way boards slammed into the rollers on the return stroke.  I also don't like the open side on the operator side, so that I had no protection if a board started coming off the table toward my leg.  After studying it awhile, I decided to make a few changes.  ;D

First, I ground most of the welds off underside of the dragback table, to loosen up the table plates.  Then I hammered one side of them them down, so they would be at an angle, instead of flat, and would ramp up to meet the rollers.

This is a view from underneath. 

I then re-welded everything back together.  Here is a picture from the side showing how the table plates are now angled up to meet the rollers.  This lets the boards easily slide and no more thunk thunk thunk, from roller to roller, beating up my mill return motor.   

Finally, I added a side guard and flipper plate down the length of the inside of the table to make sure I never get a board retuned back into my thigh.  I cut the leading edge at a angle, so that it will force errant boards back to the table.  It works great now. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Hey that's new, what happened to the wood table?  Looks good.
Boy, back in my day..

ScottCC

I'm sorry so slow to reply but just figuring out how to do this site.  I do love however.  To answer some questions now, I need to be able to cut irregular logs square every time.  Therefore I need a saw aligned with mill.  Since quality is everything then tearout from a chain saw blade is unacceptable.  Also, I plan big, if I am to manufacture many homes the process needs to be just that, a process that workers can perform with little training at a high professional level safely.  Lastly, I think fine tooth steel blades hand cranked up and down will work.  I hope.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Scott!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

safdchief2

After losing the water jug vent cap more times than I can remember, I modified the jug with a thumb screw.

First, I went to the hardware store and picked up a 5/16-18 thumb screw.

Second, I used a 5/16-18 tap to make threads inside the existing vent hole.

Third, I drilled a 3/16 hole on the top of the threads next to the base of the jug.

Screw the thumb screw all the way in during transport or partially out when using the water lube. I haven't lost a thumb screw yet and they are easier to find than the caps.

I also added another valve inline to adjust the water flow. Now, after getting the proper flow rate that I want, I just turn the top valve on or off as needed.

WM 1995 LT40HD OnanG24 - Farmall M - Selfmade 32" log arch - 2011 FLHTCU FFSE

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Did you get a plumbing permit?  :D

I like it....good idea.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bandmill Bandit

First job with improved out feed table. The leg extensions come out and the leg pockets fold flat against the table. There is about 6 inches of adjustment for the legs at 1/2" increments. Table top in lowest setting is 26" and the highest is 32.5 inches

The short one on the mill is getting a re work at the moment. May put a powered roller on the short one. Will post more pics when done.

Bandmill Bandit

This mod is in the works and rises out of the PITA of 2 pumps and oil tanks which is how the 40 Super is set up from factory AND how mine is set up after I added the second pump.

When I added the second pump I did a long look at building a single tank to mount both pumps into but figured hey wood mizer ships em this way so it must work ok. NOT!!

Well the single tank is ordered and I will pick it up Friday morning. 2 Tanks is mostly  waste of hydraulic fluid and a frickin mess at its very best. Pics will be forth coming during the assembly process.

Going to include an oil heater for the tank AND an oil level sensor and guage.

Thank You Sponsors!